Notices

There are bad days

Old 02-04-2015, 07:50 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

There are bad days

The week flying solo started off pretty good, but turned a bit of a corner on Monday. I stayed at the office too late and came home exhausted and drained (some of the work stress that really escalated my drinking this fall is starting to resume). Puppy cut her paw on glass and the dog walker called me 10 minutes before I had to go in to teach my seminar, asking if I thought she should go in for stitches. Then one of our tenant's appliances went out and I ran around town to find a replacement only to have them deliver the wrong one. Partner is gone and they still have not found the person who entered forcibly my neighbor's house. A storm was brewing...

Luckily, I just ate some good dinner, watched some bad tv, and went to bed early. Some days are bad. Others are downright awful. But I don't have to drink over them anymore.

Hope you all have a great day!
Old 02-04-2015, 07:58 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Sober since 10th April 2012

Great way of coping matilda. Even now I sometimes feel like drinking after hard day but NOT drinking for years has made it easy to ignore that AV.

Hope tomorrow's better. At least you'll wake up feeling proud of yourself.
Old 02-04-2015, 07:58 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Great stuff Matilda, there's always going to be rubbish days when it feels like the world is conspiring against us.

But we don't have to drink over it, sometimes something as simple as a good meal and going to bed can be the solution, I'm always surprised how my mood can change come the next morning!!

Have a great day Matilda!!
Old 02-04-2015, 08:00 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

enhale exhale I needed to read your note so much.. for I have been told anytime you think you have it rough ... someone out there has it worse.. love and prayers and thank you dear heart so much. ardy...

Originally Posted by matilda123 View Post
The week flying solo started off pretty good, but turned a bit of a corner on Monday. I stayed at the office too late and came home exhausted and drained (some of the work stress that really escalated my drinking this fall is starting to resume). Puppy cut her paw on glass and the dog walker called me 10 minutes before I had to go in to teach my seminar, asking if I thought she should go in for stitches. Then one of our tenant's appliances went out and I ran around town to find a replacement only to have them deliver the wrong one. Partner is gone and they still have not found the person who entered forcibly my neighbor's house. A storm was brewing...

Luckily, I just ate some good dinner, watched some bad tv, and went to bed early. Some days are bad. Others are downright awful. But I don't have to drink over them anymore.

Hope you all have a great day!
Old 02-04-2015, 08:02 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Good job, matilda. You built some of those sober muscles to which Dee refers. Hope that today is much better for you.
Old 02-04-2015, 08:06 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Hillbilly Girl

Great going Matilda
Old 02-04-2015, 08:07 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

I hope your puppy is okay, Matilda.

Good for you for getting through this.
Old 02-04-2015, 08:40 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
pray for strength

Oh Matilda. Those days are hard. Well done taking it all in stride and putting it into perspective.

What comes to mind on days like that is the scene from the Meryl Streep and Shirley MacLaine movie, Postcards From the Edge. The one where Meryl is hanging from the skyscraper by her hands and then lifts her hands in the air in exasperation. Exhale.

***Below is a movie trailer (with the exasperation move being at the very beginning and end). You may have seen the movie as we are both 'women of a certain age' hee hee hee. Caveat: R-rated. Consider many of the addressed issues to be mine and know that I love to laugh at myself, although the issues are very real and I am not laughing at anyone else.

Old 02-04-2015, 08:49 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Anna: she is doing better. Limping a little, so I'll keep an eye on her.

Verte: that made me laugh! Yes, I remember so well that movie, although I haven't thought of it for so long. I'm definitely going to rent it.

Thanks for your support, all of you! This morning, things are brighter. Going to head out for a walk, which always helps.

Take care!
Old 02-04-2015, 09:06 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Matilda, thank you for sharing that and hope today is better. I hope your dog heals quickly.

Great lesson that no matter what happens, we don't have to drink.
Old 02-04-2015, 09:21 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Well done on getting through such a rough day x
Old 02-04-2015, 02:05 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

I hope the rest of the week is better Matillda
Old 02-04-2015, 03:50 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Laughing so that I don't cry: they just delivered ANOTHER incorrect refrigerator! Delivery person said that the sales person probably didn't think about the wheels when he measured. When I called, they asked, "Are you sure you measured correctly." Yes, I am a woman (and an English professor) but I do know how to use a measuring tape. Think my 6'4, male partner would have been asked that question? Ha. Waiting to get a return call from management. Tenants are terrific and sweet...what can you do?
Old 02-04-2015, 04:14 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Wishing you a better day, tomorrow.
The saying used to bother me.......................
but
"don't sweat the small stuff".
Hang in there.
Old 02-04-2015, 04:18 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Good job!! Glad pup is ok!
Old 02-04-2015, 05:56 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Yeah. I got home late last night and alarm went off very early (hadn't changed it) and I started to get up and it was nothing. A bit tired. 1000 times better than those end of world feeling hang over wake ups.

One of the best parts of being sober is waking up early and alive (literally and figuratively)
Old 02-04-2015, 11:41 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Do your best

Awesome job Matilda on getting through a right bad day

hugs