Notices

One Month, and no dock tape

Old 02-04-2015, 02:40 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LBrain View Post
dock tape?
Analogy of my previous sobriety was "There, I fixed it and don't drink"
Putting a lot of dock tape on my addiction only temporarily fixed the issue.
Stress would come up, and the tape would go flying off.

Not good at explaining, here my man:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
image.jpg (62.0 KB, 32 views)
Old 02-04-2015, 02:51 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

good stuff Patman amazing welldone.that feeling is better than anything that can be bottled.............
Old 02-04-2015, 03:31 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

And I'll be waiting for the AV. It is purely a creation of our own character defects. Therefore working on your defects weakens the beast. The only way it came come out is using the key to the door, our character defects. If we are short tempered, expect IT to come out when we pop a gasket and want to rip someones head right off. Now the key is to not pop a gasket, as soon as we get mad, we should remove ourselves from the situation. And not ruminate over it. Ruminating on things is like a slow cooker. Makes great pork, but not so good for people.

Same goes if we find ourselves extremely happy. Happy is ok, but not over happy. That's how master Jesus found his way to god. Enlightenment comes with control over emotions, once we are levelled, and balanced, we are not faced with "extremes".

That's my new theory, based on my experience at recovery.
Old 02-04-2015, 03:46 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Off topic a bit, we call it 'duct tape' here, or 'duck tape' -- although I've yet to tape a duck with it.
Old 02-04-2015, 04:57 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

I'm very proud of you, brother Pat!
Thank you for inspiring and helping me
and many others, I'm sure.
Rock On!

Old 02-04-2015, 05:37 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  
A simple guy making his way

Great work pat!
Old 02-04-2015, 05:42 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Congratulations!
Old 02-04-2015, 05:53 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

So now that you've crossed over let the boat go. No need for it, the dock or the tape. Congrats my friend!
Old 02-04-2015, 05:54 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Notmyrealname View Post
Off topic a bit, we call it 'duct tape' here, or 'duck tape' -- although I've yet to tape a duck with it.
LOL!! I went back and forth between the 2 spelling when I posted. Very French here, just very French ;-)
Old 02-04-2015, 05:57 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

That's wonderful, Thepatman!!! Congratulations!!!
Old 02-04-2015, 06:03 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Well done
Old 02-04-2015, 06:08 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Congratulations on 1 month!

Very inspiring post, just what you need to hear on rainy days like these

Old 02-04-2015, 06:13 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Hey Pat, next year when I have two years sober, I wanna hear you have one year.

Don't lose it this time. And if you have to use duck tape now and then - do what you gotta do!

Interesting story on how it got its name, 'duck tape'.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
tapeduck.jpg (26.4 KB, 18 views)
Old 02-04-2015, 06:19 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

From now until eternity, Patman, whenever I see duct tape, I will think of you.

Dock tape - 'duct tape' pronounced with a beautiful French accent.
Old 02-04-2015, 06:46 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Maybe you developed a special form of tape that binds sobriety together for you without forcing it

Originally Posted by Thepatman View Post
And I'll be waiting for the AV. It is purely a creation of our own character defects. Therefore working on your defects weakens the beast. The only way it came come out is using the key to the door, our character defects. If we are short tempered, expect IT to come out when we pop a gasket and want to rip someones head right off. Now the key is to not pop a gasket, as soon as we get mad, we should remove ourselves from the situation. And not ruminate over it. Ruminating on things is like a slow cooker. Makes great pork, but not so good for people.

Same goes if we find ourselves extremely happy. Happy is ok, but not over happy. That's how master Jesus found his way to god. Enlightenment comes with control over emotions, once we are levelled, and balanced, we are not faced with "extremes".

That's my new theory, based on my experience at recovery.
I think what you are describing is similar to the concept of Equanimity. That is something that has been very meaningful and valuable to me ever since I heard of it first. Especially in the context of how it differs from emotional detachment (or suppression) -- something I was and sometimes still am prone to. Detachment is just a defensive coping mechanism to push away emotions we are not comfortable dealing with. Equanimity is peaceful existence and being in the moment with our feelings and the world, without reacting extremely. I find that I can be "good" at both but they obviously represent two different poles of my emotional health; normally I'm somewhere in between.

The one thing I would probably say differently from you is regarding character defects. If these are features that are components of our temperament (the parts of our personality that are in large part quite stable and probably inborn), it may be better not to put qualifiers on them such as "defects", because such thinking can cause problems with self-esteem and promote insecurity. View them as traits instead, they just are. And try to work around them, find ways where our natural behavioral tendencies can be used to our and other people's advantage. For example, having a short temper (=emotionally very reactive and expressive) is not always a negative. I think it can be useful in situations that require fast reactions and judgments, just need to be tamed a little. It can also be quite entertaining to others given it's not violent or otherwise destructive.

What you are describing is also interesting in the context of how many of us experience ourselves and life "dull" or "boring" in early sobriety, after many years spent in extremes. We crave those extremes (drama, intense highs and lows, etc), and long for intensifying and amplifying normal stimuli and reactions, if not with drugs, then with something else. It's definitely a challenge to learn to live in the "middle way", but one that pays off with large interest if we achieve it.
Old 02-04-2015, 06:47 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Sounds like you've made great progress Patman. Keep up the great work and congrats on the 1 month!
Old 02-04-2015, 07:04 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Way to go Pat!!

30 days is awesome, congratulations!