Notices

Your experience with Moderation

Old 02-03-2015, 12:42 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

My rationalizing mind said I moderated good.
I never drank after I passed out.
Old 02-03-2015, 12:44 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Oh God I made an zillion deals with myself to control my drinking only to break them that same day. What a terrible cycle!! The constant battle in my mind. So glad to be out of it and have some peace of mind
Old 02-03-2015, 12:54 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
voices ca**y

My idea of moderation was to buy a pint of whiskey so that is all I could drink. If I kept it to a pint I still made it to work. I drank at home or would only drink with other heavy drinkers so I wouldn't look so out of control. If I did have occasion to drink socially I would hold it together knowing I had a pint in my trunk for when I got home. I would start drinking at about 7 pm after everyone was off doing their own thing and made sure to keep my yapper shut so it wasn't obvious how intoxicated I was.
The day I quit was the day I realized I had no desire to moderate. I just wanted to get drunk and stay that way.
Old 02-03-2015, 01:00 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

I can moderate and have a beer or two when I play live music.
Other than that, I am a drink to blackout/passout drinker.
I think that in that moment, it is more important to me to play well and be responsible to my bandmates than to get the oblivion buzz.

I think this "ability" has kept me sicker longer as it is a very easy target for my AV to minimize my alcoholism.

Even if you can do it, aren't you better off completely abstinent?
Old 02-03-2015, 01:01 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I didn't want to stop drinking. In a desperate attempt to keep on drinking, I tried to moderate. It was a dismal failure. Much easier for me to just not drink at all. And I'm much happier sober.
Old 02-03-2015, 01:03 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

The problem is the spiral for me, with a few drinks things would spiral to be as bad as ever, maybe not on the first day but in a matter of weeks.

I tried only beer, only wine, only on weekends, try to have 3 Sober nights a week, 1 Sober night a week, don't drink on work nights, only drink until 11pm, I made deals with myself for a long time and the goal posts kept changing.

Parting ways with alcohol on a permanent basis was the best decision I ever made, and in many ways trying to moderate was soo stressful and time consuming, no alcohol makes life a lot more straight forward!!
Old 02-03-2015, 01:33 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

I've weighed it out to the ml using a shot glass on a digital scale.
I've used an erasable marker to mark off drinks on a fridge magnet board.
I've set the kitchen timer to count down the time until I'm allowed the next drink.
I've used online blood alcohol calculators to try to keep my BAC under a certain level.

In one day I've weighed out 750ml of vodka in 40ml portions on the digital scale, made 19 marks on the fridge magnet board, forgot to set the kitchen timer, passed out by 9pm and then used the online calculator to figure out I was still drunk at noon the next day.

Screw moderation.
Old 02-03-2015, 01:35 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Ruby said it best by reminding me that today I am free.

My sobriety has been my emancipation proclamation.

Alcohol doesn't rule my life any more.

When I see alcohol these days, on the rare time it looks fleetingly attractive (for a nanosecond) the brief thought always involves a fifth or a liter (of whiskey) or an 18 or 24 pack of beer and not the drink, beer or glass of wine someone has.

And my next thought is always jails, institutions, death, me walking into a treatment center, professional failure, lost relationships, etc.
Old 02-03-2015, 01:46 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  
voices ca**y

Originally Posted by Lance40 View Post
I've set the kitchen timer to count down the time until I'm allowed the next drink.
I've used online blood alcohol calculators to try to keep my BAC under a certain level.

In one day I've weighed out 750ml of vodka in 40ml portions on the digital scale, made 19 marks on the fridge magnet board, forgot to set the kitchen timer, passed out by 9pm and then used the online calculator to figure out I was still drunk at noon the next day.

Screw moderation.
that was funny!!! I think your problem sir was that the 19th mark would have only contained 30 ml. It probably would have worked otherwise.
Old 02-03-2015, 01:51 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  
Trudgin

Originally Posted by Lance40 View Post

Screw moderation.
If you shared this is an AA meeting people would be laughing out loud! Now we can laugh at our insanity = time and distance away from that last drink = funny.
We are not a glum lot.......

Since we are civilized and on this polite forum I cannot laugh out loud.....But, Holy crap - THAT'S Funny - cause many of us have done similar things!!!
As an alcoholic I would have felt cheated cause the 19 mark wasn't a full 40ml's

Great post
Old 02-03-2015, 02:16 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  
Administrator

Spent twenty years trying to 'moderate'.

What I really wanted tho was a way to drink as much as I liked and not suffer the negative consequences.

Harry Potter stuff - the other HP

D
Old 02-03-2015, 02:22 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

my only real attempt to moderate was when they came out with 10 ounce cans. I figured 10 ounce cans I would drink less. WRONG! 10 oz cans were like drinking shots.
they disappeared much faster.
Other than that, I with the wolfman on this.
Old 02-03-2015, 02:24 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Never tried- Never will
Old 02-03-2015, 04:04 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Thank you all - for those of us without too much time on this board it was good to see what others have tried (and what I've thought about). I never meant to imply that I thought I could moderate its just seems that this is an AV trick and one I wanted to know others lived though (and failed as well) and thought about also. I'm not special - I'm an alcoholic and the fact that I think about ways to moderate means I can't - for me that's what it means.

I can never have a cigarette again. I had to quit 3 times to figure that out - I'm hoping I get wiser with age and this is my second time quitting drinking. I can' have another drink ever.

Thanks for those that responded with examples - it has helped me see what some of us have been though. Solidifies my commitment.
Old 02-03-2015, 04:05 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Attempting moderation is why I joined this site in 2012 and still today only have 4 days sober. It just doesn't work for me.
Old 02-03-2015, 04:13 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Originally Posted by Teebee View Post
I'm an alcoholic and the fact that I think about ways to moderate means I can't - for me that's what it means.
True dat.

People who can control their drinking don't have a voice in their head telling them they can.
Old 02-03-2015, 04:28 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Never tried moderation, i drank to get drunk. I always carried a backpack full of beer, i thought everyone did that.
Old 02-03-2015, 04:42 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Attempting moderation for me? Today I'll only drink wine, and only one bottle of it. Typically within a couple hours I was in the second bottle, and often it was vodka.
Old 02-03-2015, 08:22 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Longpasttime View Post
I can moderate and have a beer or two when I play live music. Other than that, I am a drink to blackout/passout drinker. I think that in that moment, it is more important to me to play well and be responsible to my bandmates than to get the oblivion buzz. I think this "ability" has kept me sicker longer as it is a very easy target for my AV to minimize my alcoholism. Even if you can do it, aren't you better off completely abstinent?
there are times I moderated fine as well but like you said I'm far better off completely without.
Old 02-04-2015, 02:14 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  

Moderation to me would've been a six pack of beer every night. But gosh darn those limits set by health professionals say only two or three a night. So a six pack would not be moderating. That would be double or triple the healthy amount!

I tried all the tricks listed by everybody else. My last and final attempt was to not start drinking until 8 PM so that I could drink quickly and by the time I got to six it would be like 10 PM and I'd go to bed. Nope. I'd end up walking to the store and getting six more and going to sleep at some ungodly hour like 2 AM and feel like crap the next day.

Honestly, I never even tried to moderate. Because if I moderated my drinking I couldn't get a buzz. Reaching a buzz took about six drinks and then maintaining it took about six more.

If I was not free to follow the above plan exactly to my liking (dinner at friend's house: two bottles of wine for 8 people, anyone?) I felt more agitated than not drinking at all.