Notices

I almost feel like I drink too much to belong here...

Old 02-02-2015, 10:24 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I almost feel like I drink too much to belong here...

I drink two 1.50ml bottles of wine a day. I want to quit but I'm not sure if this is the right place because it seems like a lot of you drink less then me. I never thought even 1.5ml bottle a day was that much. I don't even get hangovers anymore from it even when I drink 2 bottles. The only after effect is extreme anxiety. Which the only way to fix is with more wine. Ugh. My name is Dreaming123, and I'm an alcoholic.
Old 02-02-2015, 10:29 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi

It's not so much the quantity as how it affects you mentally, physically, emotionally. I've only been here a day and already know this place is going to make such a difference to my recovery.

Good luck
Old 02-02-2015, 10:32 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

3 litres of wine a day?

Seems like you're in the right place to me.
Old 02-02-2015, 10:43 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Dreaming

it seems like a lot of you drink less then me.
You might not be looking hard enough

Trust me, a lot of us here drank a whole lot more than you, even...

but ultimately, Dreaming that's a red herring - quantity doesn't actually matter that much

A problem is a problem - and for every problem a solution is needed.

You'll find a lot of help and support here with that

D
Old 02-02-2015, 11:07 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

It does not matter how much you drink.
It's what happens when you drink.

If you only drink 2 glasses of wine a night but it leads you to make bad choices you regret, then drinks a problem for you.

For me it was enough that drink made me unhappy and the people I loved unhappy that led me to stop.
I don't really need a label for what I am or might be.
Being unhappy was enough.

I wish you the best xx
Old 02-02-2015, 11:51 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

I drank enough to give me 48 hr blackouts and blood pressure of 190/140 .

In recovery i've found learning to see what we have in common more useful than what makes me different to other people in recovery.

A light weight, a heavyweight, both can teach me how to box clever .

take care , m
Old 02-02-2015, 11:53 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
The Long and Winding Road....

You belong here

V
Old 02-03-2015, 12:49 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Life is an unlikely miracle.

You're definitely in the right place, Dreaming.

Welcome to the family, glad you are here !
Old 02-03-2015, 01:40 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Grateful

Stick around and start comparing how much you don't drink.

The others are right, it's what alcohol does to you once you drink it, not how much it takes to reach that point. I drank more than some and less than others but we seem to have one thing in common -- we all had negative consequences that reached the point that we decided we needed to do something about it. This is the perfect place to get support and information to help you do something about it.
Old 02-03-2015, 02:18 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Sober since 10th April 2012

Now that's a heading I never thought I'd see here. Do you want to stop? If you do, you're in the right place.
Old 02-03-2015, 02:29 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

dreaming 123

Originally Posted by Dreaming123 View Post
I drink two 1.50ml bottles of wine a day. I want to quit but I'm not sure if this is the right place because it seems like a lot of you drink less then me. I never thought even 1.5ml bottle a day was that much. I don't even get hangovers anymore from it even when I drink 2 bottles. The only after effect is extreme anxiety. Which the only way to fix is with more wine. Ugh. My name is Dreaming123, and I'm an alcoholic.
Hi dreaming 123

You have hit the nail on the head in regards to justifying how much you or others drink, I was the same I made excuses like,,, (well I only have drinks when I get home ) and ( I know people who drink much more than me ) all the time in the back of my head knowing I had a problem but I never confronted it because I was scared of living life sober.

Life has so much more to offer if you give it time and make small baby steps in the right direction.

Lots of support here stick around
Old 02-03-2015, 02:47 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

The part of my brain that is addicted to alcohol loves to compare how much I drank to how much others drink. If I drank less than them I don't really have a problem. If I drank more than them my problem is beyond repair.

Either way it becomes an excuse to not address my problem with alcohol.

If YOU have a problem with alcohol you are in the perfect place.
Old 02-03-2015, 02:55 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Welcome aboard Dreaming. I'm confused about the 1.5 ml ? It ain't much. But if you mean two whole bottles of wine and you think you drink more than I drank - it doesn't really matter.

Why bother calling the fire department, my house is already fully engulfed in flames.
Old 02-03-2015, 03:00 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
a bit out there

What's been said here about unit count is correct; it's not the amount but the effect it has on the individual. With that said, 3 liters isn't healthy.

There's plenty of support on this site. It's done wonders for me and so many others.
Old 02-03-2015, 03:10 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I don't drink at all, so you definitely drink more than me.

Lots of us used to drink as much as you, and more. I agree with others that perhaps you're not looking close enough. I know I drank until I was inches away from my death and left with no other option than to not drink anymore. I also drank every single day for the last 4 years of my drinking, despite the fact that I committed to many days where I said, "I will not drink, just for this one day".

If you really feel this place isn't for you, that's fine too. I actually think it would serve you better to get your butt to an AA meeting, or find some help out there in the physical world. You're guaranteed to find people there who have out drank (drunk) you in their days of active alcoholism. Most people use the sober recovery forum as one of their many tools to stay sober. There's lots of other help to be had. The most important thing to success with this is desire to be sober. And open mind comes next, and then boatloads of willingness. Best of luck.
Old 02-03-2015, 04:57 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Do your best

Hi Dreaming its nice to meet you
Old 02-03-2015, 05:02 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Its a cold and its a broken hallelujah.

Here was my introduction to the forum a few years back.

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...night-lot.html

By the way, the last time I quit, I was up to 3.....

Welcome.
Old 02-03-2015, 05:03 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Dreaming, read more threads here. Read some in the Stories of recovery section. At times I too felt like I drank too much to be here, and that I was beyond help (in one thread I admitted to resorting to drinking rubbing alcohol because I ran out of whiskey and vodka). I couldn't have been more wrong.

Drinking and drugging is not a competition here, thank goodness. Whether you're one to drink a pint of whiskey a day, a liter of vodka, a bottle of vanilla extract, a six back of beer, a case of wine, two bottles of mouthwash, etc. it doesn't matter. We're all here for the same purpose: support for a problem in a community of those who understand the torture this disease puts us through.

You are among friends and of course very welcome here
Old 02-03-2015, 05:17 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

There will always be someone higher than you on the scale of consumption. However, it's all relative to genetic and physiological makeup as far as the amount your body can consume before XYZ happens to you. That part is unmeasurable. I've seen someone who blacked out after only three beers (yet drank the next day). Is their problem any better/worse than someone who can drink three times that but not blackout? It's not a competition to the bottom. I'd rather we all compete back to the top helping one another to get there.
Old 02-03-2015, 05:19 AM
  # 20 (permalink)