Notices

72 days down the drain

Old 02-02-2015, 04:44 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

72 days down the drain

Well 72 days and I had the day from hell. I have been off since last Wednesday due to having the flu and then my son came down with it so I haven't been on here. Today, I come back and get accused by my assistant principal of losing some important documents. She made up some BS story about how she knew I was in a conference, blah blah blah. It had me so angry because I knew I turned those papers in. Long story short, they were found and lost by her. I got an apology, but I am so over the job that I do and of course thought it would be in my best interest to get a bottle of whiskey to take the edge off and get rid of this awful feeling. Long story short... 3 shots in. I am not upset with myself right now but just tired of dealing with everything so calmly. I found out from my brother yesterday( I am no contact with my sister) that she tried to kill herself and has an imaginary friend. Every time my family comes back into my life.... I turn to the bottle. Uggghhh.... day one again tomorrow. Sorry I let everyone down.
Old 02-02-2015, 04:48 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I'm sorry, angd. Can you pour out the rest of the whiskey, drink plenty of fluids and head off to bed.

You can turn this into just a blip on the radar screen by picking yourself up and starting again tomorrow.
Old 02-02-2015, 05:06 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

The only thing that needs to be down the drain is the whiskey. You can still turn this around.
Old 02-02-2015, 05:11 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

You're back here so that's a good sign. Play it through; the whiskey is not going to improve things.
Old 02-02-2015, 05:12 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I had a lot of false starts too. But I kept trying and now have over five years sober. Never give up!
Old 02-02-2015, 05:15 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Those days are not down the drain. You've given your body time to heal in those 72 days, and you knew enough to come here. It sounds to me like you made a giant leap forward, and just a tiny step back. Most of us stumble a few times on the road to recovery. Just please don't stay down.
Old 02-02-2015, 05:52 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Don't beat yourself up, you didn't let anyone down, on the contrary it's fantastic that you're straight back reaching out and posting, now that's called strength and resolve.

There's gonna be good and bad days, even in Sobriety, so we gotta put a few tools in the toolbox other than alcohol to deal with those days, but it's gonna take time to develop those coping skills!!

Go at things again!! Tweak you're plan, and you can make it happen!!
Old 02-02-2015, 06:28 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad you're back and I know that you can learn and move on from this. You don't need to go through this again.
Old 02-02-2015, 06:55 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

You didn't let it turn into a long binge angd. You came back to tell what happened - and you did not let us down. I agree with Anna - you can learn something from this and use it to your advantage. You'll probably agree that those shots did nothing to help. That's the lesson I finally learned - we only create more anxiety by trying to numb ourselves. Glad you are ok - and ready to move forward.
Old 02-02-2015, 10:39 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

You haven't let anyone down. You've 'owned up' to making a mistake by drinking (to yourself) and have already stated you are not going to let it defeat you.
Old 02-02-2015, 10:48 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome back Ang

You haven't lost 72 days ang - all you learned and accomplished is still there

You've proven you can do this - what you need to do now is bridge the gap from temporary sobriety to permanent

Thing about how you might have handled things better - make plans for next time - and use the support you have - when you need it,. not after - thats what it's there for

D
Old 02-03-2015, 12:16 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Hevyn View Post
You didn't let it turn into a long binge angd. You came back to tell what happened - and you did not let us down. I agree with Anna - you can learn something from this and use it to your advantage. You'll probably agree that those shots did nothing to help. That's the lesson I finally learned - we only create more anxiety by trying to numb ourselves. Glad you are ok - and ready to move forward.
Agreed. It takes a lot of strength to get back to Day 1. You're an inspiration.
Old 02-03-2015, 04:30 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Do your best

Really good advice already so il just say welcome bk
Old 02-03-2015, 04:45 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I've been down this road too. Are you renewing your desire to stop drinking again? I know that I have. I have had a clear head and feel good for the last two days. 11 days sober for me now.
Old 02-05-2015, 04:51 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Thank you all for your support! Today begins day 3 of sobriety all over again! I learned a lot from this experience and no... the alcohol did not make things better. I felt terrible the next day and don't miss drinking one bit. I am just sad that I lost all of those days, but I do know what my triggers are and I guess that is a good thing.
Old 02-05-2015, 05:07 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Trudgin

Glad you're here!

I drank "At" them for years. I'll show them, I'll hurt me!

Keep coming back
Old 02-05-2015, 05:10 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

congrats on 3 days
Old 02-05-2015, 05:21 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Glad to see you have come back so quickly! You didn't lose the 72 days, they are still there....they still happened! Just this next time, break your record, you need MORE than 72 days....

Life is a learning experience and you have learned about 2 really big triggers, bad day at work and your family. The two together were too much for you at this time....Prepare yourself for the next time, and come up with a plan....
What will you do when the stress gets overwhelming????
Old 02-05-2015, 05:25 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I am sorry to hear you've relapsed. However, the good thing is that you are learning from it and using it to push yourself forward so you don't do the same thing next time. Also, those 72 days are not gone. You can still count those days if you think about it as a proportion and a measure of progress. Just keep moving forward. You can do it and are doing it with 3 sober days now!
Old 02-05-2015, 07:38 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Do your best

Congrats on day 3