SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Tea (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/358219-tea.html)

Niamh 02-01-2015 08:41 AM

Tea

Thanks to everyone who suggested I switch to tea to help w my anxiety. I had probably half the caffeine I usually do these last two days. I actually do not have a headache right now and yesterday i felt much less heart pounding. I need to look into other healthy beverages as my replacement for booze, not sure why it took me so long to realize all that caffeine was cranking up my anxiousness. I still have the back tension, which I'm trying some stretches for. My dizziness seems to have lessened too. Thank again everyone.

Soberwolf 02-01-2015 08:46 AM

Tea is awesome !! Congrats Niamh

Niamh 02-01-2015 08:48 AM

Soberwolf, thank you for the links to relaxation exercises. I have been doing them. They work for me.

Della1968 02-01-2015 09:04 AM

I love tea!

trachemys 02-01-2015 09:06 AM

I just found something new: Green Tea Earl Grey! All the good and the good taste!

Niamh 02-01-2015 09:12 AM

I will look for that earl grey green tea. I got some lemon, a bedtime tea, a peach tea and a sampler pack of many kinds. When I checked out at the store where I used to buy lots of booze, I felt like an Olympic champion because I only had tea. I seriously wanted the cashier to high five me but I kept my cool.

MariahGayle 02-01-2015 09:18 AM

Check out the "Tension Tamer" tea Niamh:)

upminer 02-01-2015 09:24 AM

I'm a huge caffeine drinker but the second half of the day I can't have it... One of the reasons I switched over to the beer.... Finding so many new and interesting drinks is a lot of fun!

Niamh 02-01-2015 09:24 AM

Ok, I will look for that. I need tension taming for sure. Is it available at a regular grocery store?

patricia68 02-01-2015 09:52 AM

Rooibos is delicious and has no caffeine. You can find it the all the fancy gourmet tea stores.

Rooibos - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

zerothehero 02-01-2015 09:53 AM

Tension Tamer is by Celestial Seasonings. I also like their Sleepytime with valerian. Really takes the edge off.

Niamh 02-01-2015 09:57 AM

Rooibos, ok I never heard of that but no caffeine especially in the afternoons is what I'm aiming for. I will also look for that tension tamer. The tea aisle is huge and I was there for a long time. I had no idea there were so many kinds but at least right now I don't feel like I need to lay down every fifteen minutes from dizzy spells.

PurpleKnight 02-01-2015 11:04 AM

Soo much variety in tea, plenty of flavours!!

I invested in a big teapot that I fill when I get home from work, and then top up my cup throughout the evening!! :)

Niamh 02-01-2015 11:30 AM

I need to look into a teapot. And this kettle of mine has seen better days. I was thinking of making up some of these as cold teas, too, so maybe a pitcher is needed as well. I'm not really capable of drinking a lot of water, so at least the tea helps me stayed hydrated. Soda was way too harsh on my stomach. I forgot to buy honey so I could try that. I'm a black coffee w cream or PG Tips w cream person, bitter was better. No wonder my stomach was so sour. Withdrawal and tons of acid. Not my smartest moves.

trachemys 02-01-2015 01:53 PM

Find an oriental supermarket. There's one here in NE atlanta that is huge. They have one aisle for noodles. You should SEE the teas they have.

ArtFriend 02-01-2015 01:56 PM

I wish I could drink tea, but there is something in it that upsets my stomach, esp green tea.

trachemys 02-01-2015 02:15 PM

Art, find the above mentioned oriental market. Herbal teas galore.

upminer 02-02-2015 05:31 AM

So how does everyone make their teas? I bought some k cups for my Keurig but it's expensive (I know the code is expensive too but I like it) so I just have been using it for hot water then making the tea traditionally I was thinking about putting a teabag in one of those fill your own k cup filters and seeing if it works like the k cup teas....

Niamh 02-02-2015 05:41 AM

I never tried a Keurig. I brew single cups, one tea bag one mug. I use water thats very hot but not boiling. My mom always said that killed to flavor? Then I let it brew to desired strength. I add a tiny bit brown sugar occasionally and cream (or milk) always. Right now I'm drinking herbal, and I follow the box instructions. I have noticed a few of these berry teas can get very acidic tasting. I bought a detox tea that says to brew for 15 minutes, if you can believe that. So far my favorites have been Lemon Lift and Perfect Peach. I'd be interested to hear how people brew in a teapot as I have never done that.

upminer 02-02-2015 06:31 AM

The keurig makes 187 degree water in about 2 minutes from off and about 5 seconds when it's on and idle. I'm just wondering if forcing the water through a tea bag will give the same results.... I guess I should just buy a box and find out I have some sleepy time herbal k cups those are 18 for 11 bucks and I can buy 20 sleepy time teabags for 2.50 so if it works there is a huge savings there (that I'll probably spend on more coffee lol)