Notices

Senior Alcoholics

Old 02-02-2015, 12:24 AM
  # 41 (permalink)  

There are elders (60s to 80s) in my AA groups. They are venerated & beloved & are often given rides to meetings. We have a very varied age sobriety community (teens to 80s here), but this is also a rural area, which might make it different...
Old 02-02-2015, 05:18 AM
  # 42 (permalink)  

Heartcore, yes, I recently moved from a rural area and especially enjoyed the huge variety of people in the AA groups I attended. My home group had an amazing array of people ranging in age from about 18 to 80, unemployed to lunch counter server to executive director to retired and everything in between, racially and ethnically mixed. Also big differences in background and income level. And this group was usually under 20 people. We had more in common than all the differences. I miss this group especially!

Isolation for seniors is a big problem for many. After I became sober, I worked at getting out among people every day - usually an AA group. I can see the issues for anyone who can't easily get around without help. Some places have free transportation for those who can't drive but I suspect that it's not nearly what it could be. I hope that as the baby boomers are aging that there will be more of a spotlight on how to help them avoid isolation.