Notices

How do you make sober friends?

Old 02-01-2015, 06:38 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

I confiscate their booze. Next question.

Old 02-01-2015, 06:43 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

I don't make friends easy myself and all the friends I do have are my old riding and drinking buddies who I've been avoiding the last few years trying to stay sober, hasn't worked though I just started drinking alone more and binging worse. I'm joining a gym this week with my wife for something to do maybe I'll meet some people. Good luck, I think many people go through that as you quit drinking and your life changes.
Old 02-01-2015, 06:47 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Stash
Our daughter is in a very similar situation and making sober friends has been without a doubt one of the most difficult parts of her recovery. All her friends pre-recovery were themselves addicts. Starting new, also lost her license, also shy, also not good at small talk, also rural area with not much to do in the middle of winter, and also nothing within walking distance, she is struggling.

Sorry I don't have any answers but I just wanted you to know that I understand and sympathize.
Old 02-01-2015, 10:45 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

For me I just started to do things and go places to meet people other than bars/clubs, for example I went to some coffee shops just to read a book or newspaper on my weekends and discovered that some people are regulars and I got talking to them, also some had chess competitions, this was a whole new world I never knew existed.

I also am a huge sports fan, so joined a few fan forums and met people that way, I think it's all about getting involved in things that you're interested in, get out there and do things and naturally you'll meet people that you have things with common in, and guess what? they don't care if you drink or not, because the common interest is not drinking it's sport, or chess or coffee!!