Notices

Hey everybody!

Old 01-30-2015, 08:32 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hey everybody!

Just started this process of REALLY trying to cut back on my drinking. I read up on medications to help along with my own desire to quit. Went to the Doc. and confessed my kind of embarrassing/shameful problem. I asked for Campral and was elated when he prescribed it.

I was drinking about 4 nights a week about 12-13 drinks in about 4 hours (8 beers-4 shots). I never woke up and had any desire ever to drink, actually never drank during the day and could never drink more than 4-5 timea a week. I guess I find some sense of pride in that even though I KNOW if I couldnt stop when I wanted too it was obviously an addiction. It is a mental addiction, I like the euphoria. My wife is about to have our son in April and she obviously stopped drinking/smoking yet I struggle. I am drinking slightly less.

Ive just started taking Campral about 5 days ago. So far I have felt zero difference but I know it takes time to work. Im about to start an overnight part time job so...obviously that will help as far as opportunity to drink along with the medication.

Does anybody have any experience with this medication?

Looking forward to being a better person and fulfilling my actual potential in my life instead of just getting by.

Good luck to all.
Old 01-30-2015, 08:40 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Gettingbetter, I don't have any experience, but just wanted to say hi and welcome. And congratulations on your baby to be! Very exciting!!
Old 01-30-2015, 08:41 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome!! I take Campral too, it took a few weeks for me to feel anything and even then it wasn't noticable until I actually thought about drinking and found the almost physical 'pull' to alcohol to be a little less. Mostly for me it actually just makes the smell and taste of alcohol (I still drank on it for one more binge) pretty gross. I work in a place that has a lot of functions with wine and i can now be around that without physically craving it at all. I still want to drink to quiet my anxiety though, so I haven't found campral to help with the psychological side of alcoholism (though I don't think it ever claimed to tbh)
Goodluck!!
Old 01-31-2015, 01:46 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Life is an unlikely miracle.

Welcome to the forum, Gettingbetter.

Congrats on your decision to get sober and your baby
Old 01-31-2015, 03:13 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Do your best

Welcome its nice to meet you
Old 01-31-2015, 10:00 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum Gettingbetter!!
Old 01-31-2015, 10:14 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I don't have any experience with the medication but want to welcome you to SR, gettingbetter.

We are here for you 24/7/365.