Notices

One of my Biggest Triggers

Old 01-30-2015, 01:11 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

One of my Biggest Triggers

My job! This morning we had a meeting at work with my department. I won't go into any details, but it was a meeting that a few of my colleagues and myself were dreading all week. At this moment, I am extremely mad, and disappointed at what occurred during the meeting. I have been putting up with the %$@* at this place for years, and normally I just look forward to the end of the day when I can open my bottle of wine and forget about it all. I am worried because today is Friday, and I'm afraid that I will cave in once again. I have about 4 or 5 hours left at the office for the week. I need to get over these feelings before I leave the office so I don't end up stopping at the store on the way home for my usual Friday night bottle of chardonnay...which will turn into a weekend of more drinking! I don't know why I let myself get so upset about stupid things I can't control...it's just me I guess. Anyway, it felt good just to let it out here. I am on day 5 and I don't want to blow it. I had over 100 days last year when I let something at work bother me so much I ended up relapsing and I have been struggling ever since. Thanks for listening.

Last edited by Lovesunrises; 01-30-2015 at 01:13 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 01-30-2015, 01:24 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Stick close to us, Lovesunrises. We will get you home safely. When you leave the office, imagine all of your SR friends pointing you in the direction of home and blocking your way to the roads which lead to the liquor store. It will feel great to arrive home without the bottle of chardonnay and even better to wake up hangover-free tomorrow.

Work, bosses and co-workers can be triggers. We can't control their behavior. The best we can do is learn to control our responses to them.

Don't drink at or over them; it only serves to hurt you, not them.
Old 01-30-2015, 01:36 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Ugg! I'm so sorry! Slipping up would suck no matter what, but it's so much worse to think it started because of a job! Let's see....if I was in your shoes, here are some things that might help me out....post on SR for layer of accountability and support (good job!), drive a different route home to avoid my store, stop to get a treat (dinner, beauty item/pampering item) to take straight home and kill a little of the evening. That's all I have for the moment. It makes such a difference just being able to break that single routine- that's enough to let me get my guard back up against the crave.
Old 01-30-2015, 01:36 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Its a cold and its a broken hallelujah.

Work used to be my major trigger. It got me every time something went fubar. I realize now that it was just an excuse, like any other, to seek out my two bottles of Chardonnay.

The addictive voice will stop at nothing to get itself satisfied.
Old 01-30-2015, 01:50 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Do your best

Awesome job on 5 days LoveSunrises

You done great getting it out & it really helps

When you finish work log on to SR youl have all your sober buds support

Your doing really well
Old 01-30-2015, 03:32 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Part of Sobriety is learning how to deal with life without alcohol, because there are still going to be a few curve balls and there is still going to be stress, but we can't keep reaching for alcohol.

Instead we need new tools in the toolbox of life, when I took alcohol away my toolbox was pretty empty, so it was going to be a learning curve to figure out how to be Sober and deal with life!!

Hang in there Lovesunrises!!
Old 01-30-2015, 03:44 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Sorry about your bad meeting. But there will be plenty of those on your way to retirement.

Bringing the office issues home will not resolve them. When you leave the office, leave the BS behind.

Be kind to yourself, have a nice bath, a healthy dinner, and some delicious Ice cream or something soothing.
Old 01-30-2015, 04:09 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Lovesunrises,

I'm so glad you came here and posted about your work issues, rather than letting things get to you more. Five days is great and you definitely don't want to give that up. Your work pressures are not going to get the better of you. As SoberLeigh said, you can control your response to the stress.
Old 01-30-2015, 04:37 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Ugh~! work stress was a huge trigger for me too. Is there something else (movie, ice cream, bath, early night's sleep [or maybe all of the above]) that you could do to alleviate the stress? A good run sometimes helps too..

Good job posting! Identifying these things before they happen is half the battle!
Old 01-30-2015, 06:22 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thank you so much everyone! I made it home from work...no stops for wine! On my drive home, I thought about what you said soberleigh about my SR friends blocking the way to the liquor stores!!! I guess it worked!!! I plan on making myself something good for dinner, having some ice cream and making an appointment for a pedicure for tomorrow. I need to keep myself busy and occupied this weekend as I live alone, and sometimes just being bored and being alone makes me want to drink!
Old 01-30-2015, 06:37 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hooray!! Good for you! I'm on the busy train right now myself: partner is out of town and I'm an ex, solo binge drinker. Let's keep ourselves company this weekend.

Take care!
Old 01-30-2015, 06:42 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

So glad to hear that! I just rented Fury from the RedBox and got myself a totally fattening burger and onion rings....That's how this girl does Friday night!!
Old 01-30-2015, 06:52 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Yum..onion rings! I had carnitas and am now spooning into some chocolate ice cream with reeses peanut butter cups, accompanied by some bad reality tv ah...the remote control is mine...its mine! (cue wicked laugh)
Old 01-30-2015, 07:08 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

You guys are making me hungry!!! Burgers, carnitas and onion rings! YUM!!! I might have to settle for a salad and some white bean chili, but I do have ice cream though! LOL.