Notices

The God Problem

Old 01-31-2015, 04:28 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  
Chances

I would call myself an 'indifferent and disinterested atheist'.
Indifferent to religion, disinterested in others beliefs in general happy in the belief that it's a great life and world.
I know a lot of people fixate on beliefs and want to debate my, theirs, religions - If its unwelcome I view that as fanatical. Be nice to people and positives come - throw out negatives and hate into this world.....
Old 01-31-2015, 06:41 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  
Trudgin

Originally Posted by ChancesAh View Post
I would call myself an 'indifferent and disinterested atheist'.
Indifferent to religion, disinterested in others beliefs in general happy in the belief that it's a great life and world.
I know a lot of people fixate on beliefs and want to debate my, theirs, religions - If its unwelcome I view that as fanatical. Be nice to people and positives come - throw out negatives and hate into this world.....
Aggressive Christians drown people in living water. Unless someone specifically ask me about how I stay sober I believe it is wrong to promote my personal beliefs f2f or on threads that are not geared in that direction.

Your point is well made and I could not agree more and respect your thoughts.
Old 01-31-2015, 06:54 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  

If AA works and it's not because of the religious element then maybe you should go and ignore the religious element, because it works, right? Don't look a gift horse in the mouth.

If AA works and it's because of the religious element, that's a whole different theological ballgame

If AA doesn't work then . . don't go?

I just don't see why people get their drawers all knotted up about a few sparse references to religion. I sit through church service every Sunday because I like singing in the choir and spending some common-ground time with my elderly parents. I mumble along during the prayer and the Apollo's Creed or whatever it is because when in Rome, you know? I came to spend time with the folks and sing some songs and I get to do that, and I can play along to fit in while I'm there without having some great atheistic meltdown in my id.
Old 01-31-2015, 08:07 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  
EndGame

Originally Posted by Notmyrealname View Post
If AA works and it's not because of the religious element then maybe you should go and ignore the religious element, because it works, right? Don't look a gift horse in the mouth.

If AA works and it's because of the religious element, that's a whole different theological ballgame

If AA doesn't work then . . don't go?

I just don't see why people get their drawers all knotted up about a few sparse references to religion. I sit through church service every Sunday because I like singing in the choir and spending some common-ground time with my elderly parents. I mumble along during the prayer and the Apollo's Creed or whatever it is because when in Rome, you know? I came to spend time with the folks and sing some songs and I get to do that, and I can play along to fit in while I'm there without having some great atheistic meltdown in my id.
My sensei used to say, "I've frequently been wrong, but at least I was never uncertain."
Old 01-31-2015, 08:25 PM
  # 45 (permalink)  

As already said - HUGE difference between Spirituality vs. Religion. When I sat in my 1st AA meeting at 32 yr old - I had no clue of the difference.
Old 01-31-2015, 08:54 PM
  # 46 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by awuh1 View Post
Why do you think all these different terms, i.e. higher power, power greater than ourselves, and God are all used instead of just... God? IMO it's because Mr Wilson wanted to keep the door as wide open as possible to everyone. He did not want to tell anyone what to believe. IMO He only meant to suggest that seeking resources outside of our own individual selves is something that can be beneficial. What we tap into is often quite different, and that's perfectly OK.

BTW, I don't think that you should equate the terms higher power, power greater than ourselves, or even God, with religion. I think Bill gives a good flavor for this in a talk about the third tradition you can see in this link (between the 4 minute and 6 minute mark). https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BSJB...4B8565&index=3

Religion implies that people share a belief in a specific definition of God or even the belief in *a* God. There is no such requirement in AA.

For me, the power greater than myself was the strength I got from the other AA members. I overanalyzed that step and tried to put the word God in there. It does not say God, it says a power greater than our self.
Old 02-01-2015, 04:44 AM
  # 47 (permalink)  

If there is no God....

Then why do so many of us spend so much energy, thought and time fighting God?