SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Another reinforcement for quitting (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/358034-another-reinforcement-quitting.html)

trachemys 01-30-2015 02:59 AM

Another reinforcement for quitting

Just saw this on the news: Drinking increases your chance of stroke.

Find a source you trust for the details. The gist is that more than two drinks a day increases your risk of stroke in a big way. And we all know what two drinks is. An appetizer.

Soberwolf 01-30-2015 03:05 AM

Thanks Trachs

Dee74 01-30-2015 03:36 AM

I had several mini strokes in 2007.

It's only been this year - 8 years later - that I can once again sing a song from memory all the way through without a lyric cheat sheet.
My legs tho will never get better - and they weren't great before that.

This thing plays for keeps guys.

D

MIRecovery 01-30-2015 03:47 AM

Originally Posted by Dee74 (Post 5170550)
I had several mini strokes in 2007.

It's only been this yea - 8 years later - that I can once again sing a song from memory all the way through without a lyric cheat sheet.

This thing plays for keeps guys.

D

It plays for keeps. In only 5 years I have seen way to many die

Weasel1966 01-30-2015 04:20 AM

Thanks Trach. I saw that report as well. When the version I saw categorize a heavy drinker as someone how has at least 1 drink a day I shook my head. We all have our measuring sticks on what we did and mine hovers around the 15+ drinks a day for years on end but when we see the unrealistic ways people characterize drinkers is laughable.

Now that I feel good physically I have some regrets I did not take care of myself all those years. But I am today and we both know today is all we have!

matilda123 01-30-2015 06:52 AM

Thanks, Trach, for this important reminder. I have a stressful work environment and a young and very fit woman in her early 50s had a stroke a few months ago. There are of course a lot of reasons that people have strokes besides drinking, but I also know this woman drank and probably drank heavier when things started to get super stressful last year--many of us did. She is a bright and capable person who is now having trouble (some five months after the stroke) talking and walking :(

pattyj 01-30-2015 11:33 AM

I just think about how lucky I was during those years of drinking. I could go on and on about the things that I did and what should have happened to me. But I thank God and my lucky stars that my guardian angel kept me safe and am thankful that I quit when I did. We do only have today and I try to live it the healthiest way possible. Great reminder!!

PurpleKnight 01-30-2015 11:33 AM

Good post Trach!! :)

SoberLeigh 01-30-2015 11:43 AM

Thanks, trach. I'm going to look for that report.