Notices

Need Help Quitting. Any programs?

Old 01-29-2015, 09:54 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Need Help Quitting. Any programs?

Hello,
I want to quit drinking. I am not physically dependent on alcohol, so I wouldn't need a detox or anything like that. I "only" drink 2 days a week.... but for the life of me, I cannot fully give it up! 2-3 days after my last beer..... I intensely crave another one. It's such a cycle and I need to break it.

I successfully quit smoking years ago through an online program which involved watching a series of videos. It really worked! I am hoping something similar exists for alcohol!

Does anyone know of any quit alcohol programs that I can do at home/online? Or maybe even a quit counselor I can speak with on the phone? I am open to any cost or any way of getting some help, while staying out of the publics eye.

Any recommendations? Thank you so much for your time.
Old 01-29-2015, 10:27 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Do your best

There is 12 step programmes there is secular programmes both have online mtns, SR has its own topic mtns held in the chatroom every tuesday & friday @9pm

you could speak to your Dr or local hospital to put you in touch with your local alcohol addiction services

You could try addiction counselling & group therapy there is a lot of choice
Old 01-29-2015, 11:40 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome 333President

There's many different approaches and methods of recovery around - here's some links to some of the main players, including but not limited to AA:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...formation.html

all of these have some kind of online component these days - meetings etc.

Rational Recovery is another method that has no meetings at all...for more info on that I recommend you visit the Secular Connections forum if you think you may benefit from a non 12 step approach.

I'm glad you've found us, SR helped me to turn my life around. I know you'll find help to do the same

D
Old 01-30-2015, 12:21 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by 333president View Post
I "only" drink 2 days a week....
As others have pointed out there are options. I personally go to AA and work the AA program.

I am not sure how long you have been drinking but I wanted to point out that alcoholism is progressive. It does not get better.

I was that same kind of drinker many years ago. Only weekends, then a week day here and there. Then it was every night. It keeps moving. In some it moves quickly and they find they are in the hole in only a couple years, some, like myself, find themselves here after 25 years.

My point is that it is good you are reaching out now. Read up on the information and choose one that seems to suit you and then stick with it for at least 30 days. You are worth it to give yourself 30 days.
Old 01-30-2015, 01:47 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Sober since 10th April 2012

I don't have a program, but I found it useful to do my own research about the harm alcohol was doing me (plenty of material online), and learning strategies to cope with cravings.

You want to stop, but you get strong cravings at certain times. Learn to divert the cravings, and eventually they will stop or weaken.
Old 01-30-2015, 03:32 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Rational Recovery--AVRT Crash Course helped this PDA. Much of this material is right here in the Secular Forums. It's a fast, worthy read. Congrats on giving up the high cost of low living.
Old 01-30-2015, 11:26 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum 333president!!
Old 01-30-2015, 12:44 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

There are lots of CBT type workbooks you can get, or something like SMART recovery, they have face to face meetings as well as online ones or you could just work through all of their material online. I found I needed a combination of everything to make it work though so if you find something doesn't help just move on to the next one
Old 01-30-2015, 12:56 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

In a similar boat, I find the hardest part of not drinking is the social pressure. I'm not sure what it's like in the US, but in the Uk, 90% of your social time is based around the bottle. People think there is something wrong with you if you decide to lay off for an evening.
Old 01-31-2015, 02:10 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thanks so much guys, I really appreciate your time and info. I am going to decide on one of these methods tonight and move forward.

I haven't drank in 2 days and for 2 days, I haven't wanted to..... But slowly, the urge is coming back. 2 days ago, I was so sure that I hated beer and was committed to never drinking it again. But, with each passing day, I am starting to crave it more and more. And with each passing day, I forget why I quit and start making excuses to justify drinking it ("it's been a long day", "one more time", etc).

It's a crazy addiction and I look forward to breaking it. Thanks again for your time/support.
Old 01-31-2015, 02:53 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

I recommend really using this site - become a really active member - post daily, help others...keep the focus on why you want to quit & how you're going to do that...

D