Notices

The anxiety

Old 01-29-2015, 09:39 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

The anxiety

Hello. I see now from reading around on this site that quitting without medical help was a bad decision for me personally. I am sober for awhile now but wow, the anxiety is totally gripped me. I feel sick a lot. I need to get counseling. I want to be better. The aftermath of my drinking has left me shaky. I had such powerful withdrawals I realize now I could have died. I'm not interested in being the person I used to be.
Old 01-29-2015, 09:47 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

You'll find a lot of support here Niamh - welcome

D
Old 01-29-2015, 10:14 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Do your best

Welcome Niamh nice to meet you
Old 01-29-2015, 10:16 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome

I'm glad to hear you made it through withdrawals safely. Always think back on that experience if you're ever tempted to pick up again. I've found this site very helpful. I'd recommend surfing around the forums and checking out some of the different recovery methods.
In my initial recovery I got a complete blood work up from my dr to make sure everything was ok and tried to focus on repairing any physical damage as best I could. I was suffering from crippling anxiety and insomnia at first but it has finally started to get better. The longer I've been sober the better I'm feeling day by day.
How long sober are you?
Old 01-29-2015, 10:31 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I've had 2 drinks in 30 days. I did a taper before that where I tried to avoid the crushing withdrawals that I had trying to quit cold turkey last year. It worked but now I've got the shakes, nausea, muscle pain. I'm gonna call a dr. tomorrow. I can't go back to how I was.
Old 01-29-2015, 10:32 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Like Nike says , Just Do It! I'm talking about seeking out some medical help and counseling. I know its hard, but taking a first step, like looking up resources in your area or making an appointment with your primary doctor is the best way to get help.
That darn anxiety caused from drinking is the worst! I personally had to get help from the medical and counseling community and actually do what was suggested. Also SR picked me up by my duff when I was giving up all hope. God sent.
Old 01-29-2015, 10:38 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I need to speak with someone about my feelings. I'm avoiding people, my friends. I stay home as much as possible.
Old 01-29-2015, 10:40 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Do your best

Good luck keep reading keep posting it really helps bud
Old 01-29-2015, 10:41 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Welcome

Good work on planning to see doc, i recall trying cold turkey And had horrible withdrawals.. before i saw a doctor,

one night i recall i drank a fifth straight and had a seizure the next morning... boy it was scary and since then i have tapered down and currently on day 3 sober

i still feel ****, but campral is helping the cravings so far
Old 01-29-2015, 10:50 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thank you, everyone.
I think back to those withdrawals I had and I'm afraid. I can't go back.
Old 01-29-2015, 10:58 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Have you tried AA? I mean just as a means to meet others in a similar boat. A sponsor may be really good for you or just meeting someone you relate to and talk to face to face with. Or if you see your dr he/she can refer you to a therapist.

I have 3 months sober and still find myself isolating as I isolated myself so much when I was drinking. I'm slowly getting better with it. I have a therapist I see once a week and slowly I'm putting myself back out there even if it's just going to the gym or sitting in a coffee shop amongst others. I lost many friends as a result of my drinking and realized many were never friends to begin with. Hang in there.
Old 01-29-2015, 11:02 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Do your best

Heres some links you can print these off they are very useful

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-recovery.html

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-cravings.html

Urge Surfing ? Relapse Prevention ? Mindfulness

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...e-surfing.html

Deep Breathing Exercises for Panic Disorder

3 Anxiety Breathing Techniques You Can Practice Anywhere - Self help for anxiety - @AnxietySlayer

A breathing exercise that calms panic attacks.

Feel free to print this off it really helps
Old 01-29-2015, 11:04 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I'm going to find a counselor. I can't sit in a group of people right now. I need help to even get there. No family or friends know the problem I've been dealing with. My problem drinking.
Old 01-29-2015, 11:05 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Thank you. I need to learn some anxiety strategies. My heart pounds, I feel like I always have the flu.
Old 01-29-2015, 11:35 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Administrator

getting some help sounds like a really good idea Niamh

D
Old 01-30-2015, 09:10 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR, Niamh.
Old 01-30-2015, 09:33 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Welcome. This is a wonderful place. Take care of yourself and seek any help you think you need.
Old 01-30-2015, 09:54 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Thank you. I'm dealing today with the anxiety I have about calling my Dr. I've known him many yrs feel super anxious to go in and tell him what I'm dealing with. I've got a few simple goals today. The big goal is to make a call to a therapist. I'm hoping a therapist I don't know at all can set me on a path of dealing with other people, telling people getting healthy. I drank alone.
Old 01-30-2015, 10:44 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Niamh View Post
I need to speak with someone about my feelings. I'm avoiding people, my friends. I stay home as much as possible.
I am the same. First I started to isolate so I could drink and keep it hidden as much as possible, then i isolated at home because I was full of guilt and shame, depressed. I reached out for help and see a therapist who has been great. I also started to go to AA. I don't do the steps but just being in a room with people who have struggled with the same things is very comforting. This site is always up on my iPhone.

I think one of the most important things for an alcoholic is to reach out to others. Going through a withdrawal/detox period for a few days it probably is a good idea to stay at home but once all the booze has left your system, take some action towards building a support network.

We are here of course all the time.
Old 01-30-2015, 10:51 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I've hidden everything from everyone. I don't want to go anywhere. I just want to stay home and not drink, feel sick and achy in peace. I never thought about much, but I sure didn't think I'd have symptoms for so long. Long term damage, just another thing I refused to realize.