Notices

Not sure if I am an Alcoholic....

Old 01-30-2015, 05:14 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

I would stop now. It's only pretty packaged poison anyway. The first thing your body does when you drink is try and get rid of it. There is a reason for that. It's bad for you. So why bother waiting to see if your brain chemistry will be altered enough someday to NEED it. If it bothers you somehow. Stop, and it won't bother you anymore. Did that sound nasty? I didn't mean for it too. I'm sorry.

Jennifer
Old 01-30-2015, 05:43 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

hi All... ardy here.. mm single drink.. sometimes for me its not a whole drink.. I am a wine person.. so at times will just a sip for the type of wine.. fruit soil that it was grown in and type of things added to it. can I do just the tasting sip.. yes.. and walk away with the knowledge that I walked away. .and it was a great sip of a beautiful wine.. did I want more.. yep.. did I nope.. always look at myself and say Quilling you need to remember your Pop all the time.. that stops me cold..
are we problem drinkers.. yep.. is there a reason for it a ton kiddo a ton.. can we drink responbily not really. ever. no no no.. can someone help you to say what you are no you have to do that and hold tight to why you made that thought... and life change...prayers and hugs another from Wisconsin.. go Badgers.. but go Bears hahahahahaha

Originally Posted by Nuke View Post
That statement is probably the best illustration of my problem...I like to think that "just one" would satisfy me, but I already know that is just the start...
Old 01-30-2015, 06:02 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Welcome! Don't get hung up on the label. It's different things to different people. I don't consider myself an "alcoholic" because I haven't felt a chemical addiction. It's a progressive disease and I feel if I hadn't stopped when I did I sure would have developed it. I have tried moderation and it ALWAYS ends in failure. I've decided I don't want to drink anymore. I will never say never though and if at some point I have a drink I'm sure the world won't stop spinning however at this point in time I don't want to find out and if I ever have one again I cannot use it as as excuse to try moderation so all that leaves me is that it's just not worth it to even have one. I am happy with the chance I have gotten to stop before It got to the point where I couldn't stop. It's one day at a time for me and I'm at 83 days so far. Good luck.
Old 01-30-2015, 06:28 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

I haven't lost anything (yet) because of my drinking.
Rock bottom is when you decide to stop drinking.

Lots of people wrote lots of good things - I hope you stop before you lose anything.
Old 01-30-2015, 06:30 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Teebee View Post
Rock bottom is when you decide to stop drinking. Lots of people wrote lots of good things - I hope you stop before you lose anything.
that's a good point do you really want that dui or fight or waking up who knows where or whatever to be the "rock bottom" or do you want to look back at your "rock bottom" and be thankful it wasn't something like a DUI that will haunt you for years....
Old 01-30-2015, 11:32 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

I also have never felt a chemical dependance for alcohol. I just cant seem to drink in moderation when I do drink. I get drunk, often to the point of blacking out, every time I drink. I'm not a fun drunk either, first I get paranoid, then I get angry and aggressive. No one likes to be around me when I'm drunk, I am much better off without it. I am still toying with the idea of moderation, but I'm pretty certain abstinence is going to have to be the move for me.