Notices

Question About Genetics

Old 01-29-2015, 10:51 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Question About Genetics

I have read a lot about how addiction is passed down genetically. I wanted to know how true that was for everyone here. I do not have alcoholism in my family as far as I know. I have an uncle that drinks a lot and could maybe qualify as an alcoholic, but he has been able to maintain a successful and happy life. My parents drink quite a bit, but I do not think they are alcoholics. I'm just trying to figure out where this problem came from.
Old 01-29-2015, 11:05 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

I can understand being curious, but I doubt the answer changes the solution, or makes it easier. Keep researching. When you get to the point where you accept you have a problem, you can start addressing it.
Old 01-29-2015, 11:09 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Do your best

My alcoholism was progressive i do have alcoholism/addiction in my family tho

I dont know if there is a gene...but i know i made the choices that developed my alcoholism & i take full responsibility for those choices

really good thread i was litrelly just talking about this with someone
Old 01-29-2015, 11:10 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi: just wanted to point out that just because you are successful doesn't mean that you are not an alcoholic. There are many people who have "great success" and are still alchies. I have come to realize that what might classify as alcoholism for one person may not classify as the same thing for another. It is a very subjective determination...
Old 01-29-2015, 11:11 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Recovered

I have never been genetically tested, nor have my relatives, so I don't know. I am certain that it is familial.

To me, however, it is irrelevant. What matters is: do I want to take responsibility and DO SOMETHING about it?? When I changed my angle to this one, my life got so much better.
Old 01-29-2015, 11:16 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I'm not sure that all researchers agree there is a genetic component to addiction. From my experience, just about everyone has someone in their immediate or extended family who developed a drinking or drug problem, so we could all potentially become addicts.

But for me it's moot because the solution is the same. I also spent time trying to figure out "where this problem came from", but I found it to be a dead end street. I finally realized I can never find a definitive answer for why I developed a drinking problem (other than I just drank too much for too long). I realized that looking for causes was keeping me from spending time working on the solution. I just cut to the chase and accepted I'm one of those people who can't drink. Case closed.

Of course, if it's a subject that interests you, there's no reason to not explore the research, but I don't think doing so will help you (or anyone else) much on the quest to get and stay sober.
Old 01-29-2015, 11:23 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

It's a very complex phenomenon. It's well-documented that genetic predisposition can clearly play a role in the development of addiction, but it's influenced by other factors as well, such as environment and the individual life experiences of the person. It's an interaction of several things usually. Also, sometimes it does not clearly have identifiable genetic component. Plus, the knowledge on the genetics of addiction is far from complete, there is so much we don't know yet about the topic. It also varies by addiction type (i.e. alcoholism, opiate abuse, etc) what genotype may play a role. So genetic testing is not straightforward, it's not like certain types of breast cancer, for example, where mutations of one single gene has clearly and strongly been associated with the disease. Genetically and in their etiology, addictions are definitely very complex disorders. But this is an area that is developing rapidly nowadays with the more and more easy access to genome sequencing and things like that.

Yes many people with addictions have other addictions (not necessarily alcoholism) run in their families, or have at least 1-2 close relatives with the affliction. Or other psychiatric disorders such as anxiety or depression, which can increase the predisposition to drug abuse as people tend to attempt to self-medicate. In my case, I have no siblings and none of my parents had addiction problems in their life; in fact, they were some of the most moderate, clean people I've ever met. And I never had addicts around me in my childhood, so I did not even see that kind of behavior when very young. But I know that my two grandfathers (whom I never met) were alcoholics, and also at least one uncle that I knew vaguely, he died of it in fact. And I have a lot of psychiatric issues with varied severity in one lineage of my family at least (the other lineage, my mothers', I know little about as she grew up with foster parents and did not have close relationship with her biological family).

There have been many large-scale studies on the genetics of addictions during the past decade and I think with time the knowledge is definitely accumulating, but it's not the most straightforward thing to work with, either as a researcher or as an addict. Like said above, it plays little role in someone's developing addictions and recovering from them that we are aware of the risk and predisposition.

Google the topic online, there is a lot of info available, and a lot of controversy as well.
Old 01-29-2015, 11:23 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

My entire fathers side are alcoholics. My grandpa died when I was 1 from cirrosous(spelling) lol of liver. My father dies in September alcohol related. My uncle my aunts. To top it off my mothers side all have mental issues from abuse. My grandma was a skitso( again spelling).
Old 01-29-2015, 11:47 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I come from a long line of complete non-drinkers. Every single person on my Father's side and mother's side do NOT drink or smoke - and this isn't for religious purposes. My parents would have maybe a glass of champagne on NYE when I was growing up. I was never exposed to it. However my father "was" a 3 pack a day smoker up until 1 month before I was born; I'd say that qualifies as "addiction". My mother suffers from Depression. Put the two together, and I am not sure it is about who was or is a drinker, but rather has some sort of addictive traits.

one of my brothers does not drink or smoke. the other, quit smoking with me but continues to drink. He has what a lot of people would classify as a successful lifestyle. He doesn't drink during the weekdays, but my god he pounds them back on the weekend. He has been stopped twice for DUI and BOTH times got off - unbelievable. The most recent he was pulled over going 180km on the highway, cop pulled him over and had him call his wife to come and pick him up (leave the car) on the highway - and this is a major highway in Toronto not some local rural town (and no the cop didn't know him, and no he didn't even get a ticket for speeding). He's playing with fire - but nowhere near ready to admit problems.

Point is, family lines are complicated. there is no point searching for an answer. My alcoholism was progressive, but entirely my decision. It took years of educating myself, but more importantly identifying what problem-drinking is.
Old 01-29-2015, 12:02 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Lots of alcoholism and other drug addictions in my family as well as depression, etc. My dad has been sober for 31 years now--I was eight years old when he started attending AA, don't even really ever remember him drinking. He hasn't attended AA for 20+ years but has maintained his sobriety and still basically lives his life around the 10th and 11th Steps.

My mom died this past February after lifelong battles with depression and other major psychiatric issues along with an addiction to prescription medications. Her father passed away this past year with over 30 years sober and was also very active in AA until the end. I also don't remember his drinking at all but I've heard some horrendous stories about how bad his drinking was in the 1960s/1970s. Half of my aunts and uncles are alcoholics as well and I have at least one cousin who has had severe drug issues in the past though he seems to have cleaned his life up now. Not real close with my other cousins so don't know if they have issues or not but it wouldn't surprise me.

Because of all this family history I did not take my first drink until I was 24 years old. But when I finally did, I was hooked from the very start and would say I was drinking alcoholically within those first few months in the summer of 1999.

All that being said, I have no clue if there is an alcoholism/addiction gene. I've heard there's such a thing and have also heard the opposite. And it doesn't really matter for me today because I'm not going to take that first drink no matter what. I have proven over and over again in the last 15+ years that I am an alcoholic.

Originally Posted by JoeCree View Post
He has been stopped twice for DUI and BOTH times got off - unbelievable. The most recent he was pulled over going 180km on the highway, cop pulled him over and had him call his wife to come and pick him up (leave the car) on the highway - and this is a major highway in Toronto not some local rural town (and no the cop didn't know him). He's playing with fire - but nowhere near ready to admit problems..
In early September 2004 I was stopped by a cop at around midnight when I was EXTREMELY intoxicated. For some reason he gave me the option of calling someone for a ride instead of arresting me. Three weeks later that same cop gave me my first DWI less than a block from my house.
Old 01-29-2015, 12:33 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Sober Alcoholic

I believe the answer to this question is enormously complex because alcoholism has very diverse ways of manifesting itself. The "genetic component" should really be thought of as components (plural). I also believe that patterns of use effect these different genetic components. Add to this how still more variables, (social, psychological and spiritual) contribute to the drinking pattern, and you have quite a riddle to solve.

It's fascinating that despite the enormous diversity among alcoholics, and the great diversity of the causes of their alcoholism, they can generally relate so well to each other.
Old 01-29-2015, 12:53 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by awuh1 View Post
It's fascinating that despite the enormous diversity among alcoholics, and the great diversity of the causes of their alcoholism, they can generally relate so well to each other.
I think this is because we relate based on the consequences of our drinking, and in some cases also regarding what traits and experiences led to heavy drinking (anxiety, depression, abuse, obsessiveness, etc).

We run studies regarding genetics and personality traits associated with drug abuse. The factor that seems to correlate with addiction most significantly is "neuroticism" (as a state) and what is known in the field as "negative affective traits". The latter is generally considered as have strong inborn (genetically and otherwise determined) background and they manifest in various negative emotions and behaviors expressing these emotions; these are usually considered as a more stable part of our personality, known as "temperament". There is a lot of info online about this, and free tests also I think, if anyone is interested, although probably the free quickie tests are not as accurate as the ones used by professionals. We use mostly this one for the studies with human addicts:
What is the Temperament and Character Inventory?

When I took this test during the time when I was heavily drinking, it very explicitly brought out that I was someone with many bad habits that most likely affect many areas of my life. Interestingly, I scored quite "low risk" on the "negative affective parameters" that are considered heritable. But developed a pretty serious alcohol addiction regardless.
Old 01-29-2015, 02:19 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I think it could be genetic, but who knows? My maternal grandma & mother both drank "like" alcoholics during my childhood but quit drinking (like that) at some point many years ago. They now have an occasional drink without any problem. Other than that, there is no other alcohol or drug abuse in my family.

My husbands side of the family has LOTS of alcoholism & drug abuse (even people who have died) and he's a "normal" drinker. Weird!

For me it's something I used to numb the pain of my childhood & then got addicted to. I'm still not sure how I feel about labeling myself an "alcoholic" or someone who has a "disease". I've been struggling with that.

I just know...for me...at some point I started drinking too much, too often, for the wrong reasons and got addicted. My goal is to never drink another drop of alcohol again because it makes me miserable! I started reading the book "Rational Recovery" and really like it so far. We shall see...I just keep trying! I'll never give up!

We all have the same goal....sobriety...just different "paths" to achieve our goals! If you think you have a problem...then you do. Don't worry about genetics, labels, etc. Hang in there! I'm a lot like you...I ask lots of questions. It's a sign of intelligence! Haha. ;-) j/k
Old 01-29-2015, 03:43 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Always a funny question this for myself.

My dad died an alcoholic and my mum is teetotal her whole life, they had 2 kids, I developed an alcohol problem and my sister can drink moderately.

So who knows, but whatever the answer, I still needed to deal with the situation that I had a drink problem and there was no quick fix either way!!
Old 01-29-2015, 03:48 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Administrator

I have the maternal side of the family awash with alcoholics...but my mum and my sister rarely drink and never have too much...my brother was a big drinker but he started a family and rarely drinks now...Dad is a normal aussie drinker...enjoys a beer but he's always the driver so never too many...

and then there's me...30 years drink and drugs...8 years clean and sober.

Genetics can be a part of the picture for some of us but it's not the sole determinant and it definitely does not mean you can't beat this thing

Last edited by Dee74; 01-29-2015 at 04:52 PM.
Old 01-29-2015, 04:10 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I've never been close to any of my family apart from my mother who I'm very close to, and strangely enough everyone apart from my mother (who never drinks) are alcoholic/addicts, some died from it, many gone through rehab, as far as I know most are not recovered
Not sure what that says, but I agree it's fascinsting yet definitely not an excuse etc
Old 01-29-2015, 04:38 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I beleive its genetic but i am probably wrong,

My whole fathers side are raging alcoholics who drink everyday hes one of 12 and every single one of his sibling drink alot and few of them do hard drugs,

Mums side all in moderation.

My brother drinks everyday, my sisters drink alot on weekends and me 5 years of abuse, finally doing something about it.

Good luck
Old 01-30-2015, 12:14 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

If ya want Genetic proof , have a look at my Mothers side of the family! OK , maybe not proof , maybe it's just learned behavior that's been passed down over a long time..

Not to offend anyone , merely for humors sake , but our family always said it must be the German genes we have ..... lol ..
Old 01-30-2015, 12:23 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Our physiological make up has a huge impact on our behaviour and most likely plays a big factor in addiction. In fact it is probably the genetics, opposed to a deficiency in character, that makes kicking drugs and alcohol so difficult for some.
Old 01-30-2015, 02:35 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I think genetics has a part of it, a predisposition to get addicted. And I think family dynamics can play a part too. But ultimately we are all responsible for our own choices and behaviours. Blaming it on our genes or parents is a cop out once we reach adulthood.