Notices

Question About Genetics

Old 01-30-2015, 02:41 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

I have a rather curious situation. I became an alcoholic after turning 21/22 about ten years. My father started drinking after I did! He is now a full-blown alcoholic. I have stopped. He has not. I think there is a genetic factor but I don't feel that has any influence on drinking or not drinking today. I had ten years to test out theories. Now I'm a non-drinker, genetics or not.

I think genetics play a role in BECOMING an alcoholic but not maintaining it.
Old 01-30-2015, 02:48 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by doggonecarl View Post
I can understand being curious, but I doubt the answer changes the solution, or makes it easier. Keep researching. When you get to the point where you accept you have a problem, you can start addressing it.
I agree with Carl. Who cares where it came from? All you need to know is that you stop today. Curiosity is natural. I am very curious myself so I get it. Any pondering I used to do just kept me drinking. Like I used to want an 800 page book about the who what when where why of drinking. THEN I would stop, right? Nah. I had to just stop then I had plenty of time to ponder and wonder.

Some were abused as children. Some had "Leave it to Beaver" childhoods.

Some of us grew up dirt poor. Some rich.

Some of our parents drove around drunk with us in the car. Others' parents have been lifelong teetotalers.

Some of us have a long line of alcoholism in our families. Some have none.
Old 01-30-2015, 03:35 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

I think there's certainly a truth that genetics can possibly play a part for some people as can learnt behaviours however I know that's not the case for me. No one in my family has been dependent. I do believe there are factors for myself which have influenced my addiction however regardless of what has contributed the responsibility ultimately comes down to us to break free of our own behaviours. Whether it's genetic, learnt or influenced by life experiences we can all take responsibility and do this!! Xx
Old 01-31-2015, 03:18 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

I'm no geneticist but my father sure did seem to be alcoholic during a big swath of his life.

He and his wife all but quit drinking for over 20 years now. She quit entirely. He quit for many years but will now on the very rare occasion have one beer.

Does that mean he is not an alcoholic? I don't know....

But there were surely sufficient problems in his life because of alcohol to suggest it. And I surely see a pattern in my own alcohol problems that are very similar to his.
Old 01-31-2015, 03:47 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

well. my mother is an alcoholic. my father is an alcoholic. my stepfather, who i grew up with, is an alcoholic. i first got drunk aged 8. my mother was also depressed. my maternal great grandfather died in a mental hospital.

out of 5 of us kids affected (proper 70s wife swap) i'm the only alcoholic. my stepsister had an issue with amphetamines but went to rehab and has been clean for years.

i have borderline personality disorder (and other diagnoses) caused by neglect and abuse in my childhood. we had money, cars, holidays - my stepdad was chairman of a big insurance company - but behind closed doors it was unbearable.

so, you could argue that i never had a chance - that i was 'doomed' to drinking. i used that for a LONG time to justify my drinking. in the end i realised i was killing myself for no good reason. so i stopped.

so yeah. genetics. i have a 14 year old daughter who is so much like me. i hope she misses out on the addiction gene...