Notices

Finding Joy Sober Weekender Thread - Jan 30-Feb 1

Old 02-01-2015, 04:32 AM
  # 241 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

Originally Posted by Weasel1966 View Post
Trach will be around soon to provide Sunday Morning Sounds I am sure of it!!
Let's GO!

OK, OK, the real thing then:

Open in a new window and enjoy
Old 02-01-2015, 04:32 AM
  # 242 (permalink)  

a song:

Old 02-01-2015, 04:34 AM
  # 243 (permalink)  

Smile

Originally Posted by Nonsensical View Post
My life used to be a like that. I lived the same day over and over again. Now every day can be whatever I want it to be. It's a much better place._
Great point! Soooo pleased to have broken that stinking cycle!

And now, gym time for me too.
Old 02-01-2015, 04:59 AM
  # 244 (permalink)  

Good morning.

A little Joy Parade ... love the lyrics.
Old 02-01-2015, 05:38 AM
  # 245 (permalink)  

Happy Sunday! Listening to Leonard Bernstein and Ode to Joy, what a way to start the day and the month. Thanks Trach!

Step class this morning. The instructor is so full of happy energy and fun, he and my cohort of fans are the reasons I force myself to go twice a week. At 59, I am actually the strongest I have ever been. I can do boy push-ups! Step brings me joy.

And this afternoon, another full moon meditation with singing bowls. The last time I drifted off somewhere with the sounds and returned feeling all was right with the world. So I will miss the first half hour of the super bowl and the best commercials, but my chakras will be aligned or something.

Chiming in on the Spam. In Austin Minnesota, home of Hormel, there's a Spam museum. We were in Austin years ago for sons baseball tournament, didn't make it to the museum but received Spam and Spam lite refrigerator magnets that held up photos on my fridge for years. Hate the stuff. My sister loved it sliced, fried in margarine and brown sugar.

Go Pats, just because you beat the Packers!
Old 02-01-2015, 05:45 AM
  # 246 (permalink)  

Good morning! I woke up having angst about my life and got the memo that its ground hog day. Same day over and over. Time to break that cycle.

The groundhog will not see his shadow here. It's still snowing. The cats poked their noses out the door and hurriedly turned back inside. Doesn't look like the snow will taper any time soon. It's going to be an easy day. I'm not going to push anything.

300,000 steps Weasel is a great goal. Good luck this month.

I'm going to take it easy. Daughter will be dropped off soon from her sleepover. Son still peacefully sleeping on the couch where he apparently relocated last night.

I'll be around today.
Old 02-01-2015, 05:52 AM
  # 247 (permalink)  

I thought ground hog day was tomorrow. ROAD TRIP!
Old 02-01-2015, 06:03 AM
  # 248 (permalink)  

Or was it the Seahawks that beat the Packers? I actually watched the game! And I wasn't drinking!
Old 02-01-2015, 06:05 AM
  # 249 (permalink)  

Ground hog day could be any day you like if it's the same day, over and over.

Phone rang and it showed Connecticut call on caller ID and I thought telemarketers at 7:45 a.m. on Sunday?! Ah, cellphones. It was the pastor of our church calling to tell me that church services today are cancelled due to the weather. Never had that happen before. Writing on the wall, I'm afraid, for this congregation. Enormous church built in the 20s but now with only a handful of people attending on any given week and mostly elderly. Hence the call off.
Old 02-01-2015, 06:29 AM
  # 250 (permalink)  

Good morning all and thanks for all the well wishes. I am hoping how I am feeling now persists and that I don't feel progressively worse like I did yesterday.
Speaking of all this wonderful spam goodness, did you know you can make recipes with it? Here is a link of spam recipes (FYI:I've never tried them)Recipes | SPAM

So I am seeing all these nice videos for a Sunday morning, but today is the super bowl!! We need sports music, so I am putting on jock jams.

BernieE-Packers are NFC, so Seattle had to beat them since they're also NFC.

Non-you made a great point about drinking being like the movie Groundhog's day. I had never thought of it quite like that and don't ever want to go back to that. Just because you like food pron, if you go to the spam recipe, you can make huevos spam cheros.

Weasel-hmm.....new goal on the 1st day of the month. That is a great idea. Will have to brainstorm on that one.

Ruby-you seriously have to try spam. It's pretty good. Just don't put jelly on it even though it will look sort of like toast. If you go to the spam site, they have even more types of spam. I sent a link to 2WT last night since he is our spam affecionado. They even have spreadable spam! Who knew? SPAMŪ Varieties | Delicious Varieties of SPAM MeatŪ | SPAM

Trach- ....must eat spam.......must eat spam...

HaF-that is great that you're enjoying yourself and getting more social without any alcohol.
Old 02-01-2015, 06:35 AM
  # 251 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

Talkin' 'bout SPAM: A jock jams megamix is only 3 minutes?

Good thing we have Rubenstien:

Old 02-01-2015, 06:40 AM
  # 252 (permalink)  

View out my kitchen window.

I will have to try spam. Sounds kind of like Green Eggs and Ham. Try them and you will like them I say!
Old 02-01-2015, 06:43 AM
  # 253 (permalink)  

Abandoned Building Pix

Ruby2's Post got me to thinking about this Topic, and this area.

Abandoned Churches/Buildings In N. Dakota

Sheesh, I get Spam'ed in my e.mail. NOW, I get Spam'ed in this Thread!-)

GOTS to put up this Vid today. Got a bunch of Wings to Grill later today, and will dash them with my Award Winning Sauce. Well, Award Winning in my own Mind.

I was in the Satellite TV Biz for a while in the mid-'80s. Training Dealers in 18 Western States on installing and tweaking the original 3 Meter 'big' TV Dishes. Good fun. As I learned back then, there are actually 3 levels to Satellite TV quality: Standard Def - High Def - and Marital Def. Marital Def is when either of us is watching something while ignoring whatever Da Spouse is going on about.

'Walk Of Life' ~ Dire Straits

-----
Old 02-01-2015, 06:47 AM
  # 254 (permalink)  

Happy February!
Weasel..i love your upbeat enthusiasm for February. .a fresh start for another increment..that's the way I like to look at it too. This month (Monday ) I'm going to renew my gym membership and get working out again. I haven't done it in a while - I feel better when I do. Although I'm not crazy about going to the gym. I have weights at home but don't use them. So that's my mission for February. Also...I make one year sans alcohol on February 8th. Truly amazing.
OK - gotta plug this gadget in before it dies.
see you later.
Old 02-01-2015, 07:05 AM
  # 255 (permalink)  

Spam is getting a revamp as the hot new meat product, huh?
That stuff reminds me of my dad, the fervent Navy man. He loved it, I never understood it

(Sorry, I'm discovering all the little emoticons )

Anyone else in the states forget to go grocery shopping and absolutely need to go today? I'm kicking myself because it's going to be PACKED with people getting snacks! Too bad there's no food in the house and there's ANOTHER blizzard tomorrow. Serves us right, uuugggghhhh
Old 02-01-2015, 07:08 AM
  # 256 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MesaMan View Post
there are actually 3 levels to Satellite TV quality: Standard Def - High Def - and Marital Def. Marital Def is when either of us is watching something while ignoring whatever Da Spouse is going on about.
Old 02-01-2015, 07:39 AM
  # 257 (permalink)  

MM, that was good with marital def. I look at abandoned churches and buildings on Pinterest. There's something so sad and beautiful about them all. I imagine all the lives lived in the structures. The joy and heartache. Bringing a baby home for the first time. The laughter. Perhaps I shouldn't think so much but I think buildings absorb our energy.

HaF, one year is awesome! I still would live to do the full moon meditation. My workout today was shoveling and there will be a whole lot more of that today. Supposed to morph to blizzard conditions around two. At least the snow is so wet and heavy it may not blow around.
Old 02-01-2015, 07:45 AM
  # 258 (permalink)  

Old 02-01-2015, 07:54 AM
  # 259 (permalink)  

Happy Imbolc all - apt for this thread of joy!

Column: Feast, love, enjoy ? and welcome the Irish spring!

B
Old 02-01-2015, 07:58 AM
  # 260 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Weasel1966 View Post
At times I find it tough to read the newcomers threads. The pain in them holds a mirror to me. When I first stumbled on SR I had two extreme reactions.

First, I was reading about myself in the words of complete strangers. I thought whoa... Am I that typical?

The second was, wow... Maybe there is hope for me? Others have stopped.

At that time the idea I could ever be happy and joyful was a far off dream and certainly ridiculous. Not any more....

The best way to know you can find happiness and experience joy again is to see it in others who have similar struggles. Not everything is perfect but the weekenders that come here week after week are examples of working hard to make the most out of a sober life.

You can find happiness again. Joy can be felt. Hope is here for the taking.

I find great joy in my sobriety. A sense of calmness that comes from knowing I don't have to ever drink again.

Maybe as we post this week we can tell the newcomers about when we turned that corner. Or perhaps how we are still turning that corner.

Ken
This is so true.

When i first discovered SR/AA I kept on hearing people talking about the 'joy' of being sober. I could understand and relate to everything else they talked about so had to assume there was some kind of collective warped thinking going on if they actually enjoyed it.

But the seeds were planted and I gave sobriety a try. Still early days but a few months sober and I'm glad to say how wrong i was