Notices

Finding Joy Sober Weekender Thread - Jan 30-Feb 1

Old 01-31-2015, 10:22 AM
  # 181 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by EndGameNYC View Post
If you're serious, I want you to know that I'm just playing around. No shame in my game.
I'm not serious..all good! LOl
Old 01-31-2015, 10:24 AM
  # 182 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LBrain View Post
congrats on a month anewyear... let's see... hmmmmmm... oh, here's one: I've been jumping off roofs since I can remember. I broke my legs. Now my legs are healed and I'm getting out of the hospital. I'm gonna celebrate by jumping off a roof again. Maybe?
Omg. Crazy analogy but totally makes sense. Yes, that doesn't sound intelligent, does it? I'll keep busy ! It will pass. Thank you!
Old 01-31-2015, 10:28 AM
  # 183 (permalink)  

Just checking in. So many funny posts! Began spring cleaning today. Feels good, lethargy lifting a little.

Might watch a movie later. Watched "Wild" last night - best film i have seen in a long time!

B
Old 01-31-2015, 10:50 AM
  # 184 (permalink)  
EndGame

I watched a very bizarre (redundant?) French Film last night from 1965, Alphaville. Shot in black and white, sci-fi flick set in a techno-dominated, dystopian future (what else?).

Wouldn't watch it again, but glad I saw it.
Old 01-31-2015, 11:10 AM
  # 185 (permalink)  

well, I actually had progresso clam chowder for my 'snack'. Yeah I know, it came in a can and probably has my weekly supply of sodium. I get it for the wife - she'll eat anything.

I was surfing through youtube - I came across a blue oyster cult live album from 1975 a couple weeks ago. Probably one of the best live albums ever put out. But I was having trouble with my connection for sound here. On You Feet OR On Your Knees

After fooling around I came across this. I didn't have a wedding last time I got married - we went to the judge... But if I decide to have a party to celebrate our wedding I'm going to get this band to play...

Old 01-31-2015, 11:34 AM
  # 186 (permalink)  

Struggling a lot lately with urges to drink even though I'm at 18 months, so I'd like to check in here. Thanks.
Old 01-31-2015, 11:47 AM
  # 187 (permalink)  
A simple guy making his way

Leshar... What has changed or what are you thinking that makes a drink possible after 18 months? We both know that AV is not to be negotiated with. So how can we help?

Great that you are here talking before a drink and not after. There are a lot of new folks here that would like to maybe hear how you stayed sober for 18 moths. That's awesome and worth sharing if you are up to it.

Ken
Old 01-31-2015, 12:00 PM
  # 188 (permalink)  

stay strong leshar - 18 months is something! I'm sure we will all have occasion to get the urge to have a drink over time. The important thing is that we recognize how silly a thought it really is. And we are stronger than the drink! Rise above it!

Old 01-31-2015, 12:02 PM
  # 189 (permalink)  

Oh thanks so much for the feedback!

I've been struggling with a difficult to treat episode of Bipolar 2 depression about 5 months now. Hospitalized, new meds, hard to cope with. Loneliness. I don't know why being around friends who drink bothers me so much at this stage. Friends who drink very moderately that is.

I've been attending an addictions agency and of course SR is immeasurably helpful, I post mostly in the July 2013 class.

I think I'm falling into the trap of oh it wasn't so bad, I can moderate now, I can be with my family(all heavy drinkers) but I was drinking daily, alone, I wanted to be alone to drink, and I was blacking out. Such folly, especially with a mood disorder! I'm an addict I guess.
I think I just need to keep plugging away. Your thread helps, so thanks!
Old 01-31-2015, 12:08 PM
  # 190 (permalink)  

Leshar... Sounds like you know yourself pretty well. Staying strong over a long time, we can sometimes start to really rationalize the irrational. I spend time reading my early threads when I start to consider that maybe things were not that bad.

I never come away from that trip down memory lane with a warm fuzzy feeling. But I do remember the pain that was so intense back then.

Glad to have you with us this weekend. Hope you choose to stick around and join in over the next few weekends to help strengthen your sober resolve!

Oh yeah! Congrats on 18 months!
Old 01-31-2015, 12:20 PM
  # 191 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

This thread is full of joy, beauty, humor, and support again this weekend.

I don't know why I keep coming back here.
Old 01-31-2015, 12:22 PM
  # 192 (permalink)  
Do your best

Hello weekenders i have had a very busy day that involved 2 trips of shopping among lots of other things i bought some new films & a bbc documentry series Planet earth

(Films) A million ways to die in the west, 21 Jump street, Tammy

hope everyone is having a nice saturday sober evening
Old 01-31-2015, 12:24 PM
  # 193 (permalink)  

Thanks for all the support.
Old 01-31-2015, 12:36 PM
  # 194 (permalink)  

Old 01-31-2015, 01:00 PM
  # 195 (permalink)  

Hi everyone! Back from running all over creation. No kids at the moment. They are at friends houses for the time being.

Mr. Ruby said I came home in time as he was having bad thoughts being alone in the house. We've all been there. Of course, like the rest of us, he also thought to himself that I'd never notice. I told him he would only have been fooling himself if that were the case. I can tell.

Leshar, hang in there. There are the ups and downs. I'm currently in a down but this thread is a huge help. Looking forward to it on the weekends has replaced looking forward to drinking. Same sense of anticipation.

I went grocery shopping. It was insanely busy. Far busier than christmas or New Years. Ramming carts of little ole ladies pondering chicken wings. I had heard that we were expecting a winter storm. What I didn't realize was that it was 12 to 14 inches. And it's the super bowl. Funny though, I didn't see anyone buying liquor. That section was quite quiet. I only noticed that it was quiet as it is tucked in a corner next to the deli and cheese section.

I guess I'm still working on "why" this past few weeks. Why can't i have a sip of something once in a while? I know that it is an imponderable question because there is no answer. It just is. A fact of life that I've spent too long wrapping my head around before I've gotten the 14 months. Fits and starts. Do overs. Jillions of dollars and wasted hours under the bridge. I don't want to be a drunken, lumpen mess, passed out on the sofa or back porch. Life's too short.

Mec, are you feeling some guilt about not doing much? You are always so active, that maybe it's just a matter of giving permission to relaxing. I have a hard time with relaxing. Like right now. Reading everyone's truly inspirational posts and this niggling little thought that I have to finish sweeping.

Mr. Ruby is in good spirits. And engaged, not distracted. That's a good sign. Time to get sweeping and then pick up one kid. And find out about the other.
Old 01-31-2015, 01:51 PM
  # 196 (permalink)  

New topic.... I heard a new term... Actually it's a thing one can purchase. However, why?

A selfie stick.
Old 01-31-2015, 02:04 PM
  # 197 (permalink)  

Hey Weekenders!!

I've recently had experience of one of those selfie sticks, the idea is it places the camera a few feet away compared to the arms length normal distance, so more people can be apart of the photo or more of the scenery in the background can be fitted in!!

It even has a weird countdown as well from 10secs that everyone can see, it's a bit weird but gotta stay down with the kids these days!!

Old 01-31-2015, 02:07 PM
  # 198 (permalink)  

What is it????
Old 01-31-2015, 02:07 PM
  # 199 (permalink)  

Oh wish I had thought of that!
Old 01-31-2015, 02:16 PM
  # 200 (permalink)  

Selfie stick....what everyone needs so we can take lots of pictures of ourselves with the expandable blue tooth arm. Nirvana!
Ruby...Hang in there. It's a bump in the road, we all have them and they go away in time. I know it's a yucky place to be. Keep talking about it. Pamper yourself and relax...
I made a beautiful cake. II will not miss wine with dinner knowing that the cake will finish off the dinner. The friends I am having dinner with are not big drinkers. New friends in sobriety who do not focus on booze...go figure! Amazing.
I decided to join a gym again. .I dislike going to the gym. But if I don't, I don't exercise. ..and I need to exercise. Bah humbug!