Notices

Tired of this

Old 01-29-2015, 06:16 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Tired of this

Trying to quit smoking. Definitely need to quit drinking. I want to be a good wife and good mother.

I can't seem to not stop for my beer for the ride home. One day, I won't be so lucky and get a DUI.

It's slow at work and have an impromptu meeting at 10. Everyone's wondering what's going to happen. I need my job!

My doctor prescribed me Chantix and I read some really good reviews and some really bad ones so I don't know if I should take it. I did good with only smoking one cig yesterday until I got off work.

There's a lot of stress at home right now too because my husband is an addict, but I can tell he wants to get sober too. Two addicts trying to get sober but keep messing up.

We are exhausted.
Old 01-29-2015, 06:23 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by Jillian2563 View Post
I can't seem to not stop for my beer for the ride home.
Telling yourself that you can't stop ensures that you can't.

But you can not stop for beer. You just don't. Not saying it's easy, but you don't have to succumb to the voice in your head that insists that you drink. Overcome the fear and doubt and just drive home.

Good luck.
Old 01-29-2015, 06:34 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by doggonecarl View Post
Overcome the fear and doubt and just drive home. Good luck.
Thanks Carl. There is a part of me that is fearful, but as I'm typing this, I feel silly of fearing stopping drinking.
Old 01-29-2015, 06:34 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Do your best

Hi Jillian have you posted in here aswell Nicotine/Smoking - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

Might get more advice from here & there

Keep up the good work Jillian
Old 01-29-2015, 06:43 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks sober wolf. I don't have a computer at the moment so I haven't fully explored this site. Just have the app on my phone. But I brought my tablet today so that I can explore some more. Thanks for the info. I know I can and need to do this. It's just hard :/
Old 01-29-2015, 08:55 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Just wish I wasn't an alcoholic.
Old 01-29-2015, 09:01 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Do your best

Jillian in time it gets a lot better we dont need alcohol to function and i mean this ... we are so better without alcohol in our lives its the AV telling you otherwise but in time you will love your sobriety

i promise
Old 01-29-2015, 09:02 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Jillian2563 View Post

There's a lot of stress at home right now too because my husband is an addict, but I can tell he wants to get sober too. Two addicts trying to get sober but keep messing up.

We are exhausted.
I hear ya. My husband is a heavy drinker, and if I let myself do what I want, I would be too. Right now I'm struggling with relapse.

When I'm sitting here sober and "white knuckling" it, and I know he has a nice buzz, it's so annoying!

We enable eachother, look the other way, hide our respective stashes... It's completely ridiculous.
Old 01-29-2015, 09:05 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Resolutely Staying Sober ODAAT

One thing that I have found helpful is to break whatever routines that you are accustomed to. You mentioned that you have a hard time not stopping to get beer on your way home. I am betting that you stop at the same place everyday, don't you? Try taking a different route home that does not go by your package store/bar that you usually stop at.

Hang out here as much as possible, read, read, and read some more, you will notice that the grass is greener on this side of the fence, you just need to make the choice to hop over here.
Old 01-29-2015, 09:14 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hi, Jillian. You can do this. Many, many people have successfully quit and were finally able to break free. There are different ways to do this. AA, SMART, Rational Recovery & AVRT, Women For Sobriety. Some people here have used Sober Recovery alone.

One thing that really helped me early on was to learn about and apply this: Urge Surfing ? Relapse Prevention ? Mindfulness
Old 01-29-2015, 09:24 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Jillian, really glad you're here. There's so much support available. Even just reading others posts helps me keep my focus on sobriety.
I'm like you- quitting cigarettes and alcohol (wine) at the same time. I've done a lot of damage to my body and my life and loved ones because of my addictions and I'm putting an end to it. This is worth every bit of effort and you can certainly do it.
My first step was not purchasing, the next was distracting myself with things I enjoy. I spoiled myself a little- I took long, hot baths, read books I love, spent quality time in my pj's eating stuff I should have felt guilty about!
It may sound daunting right now, but it's so much simpler than the exhausting track you've been on.
Old 01-29-2015, 10:31 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Please please don't drink and drive. I have lost almost everything in my life from my dui. I am just so thankful I didn't kill someone. I had a blackout drinking. I don't remember anything. Omg please don't.
Old 01-29-2015, 10:38 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone for your support and kind words. I have only had one smoke today and don't have money to buy any or beer after work.

I will do my darnedest tonight to not stop at the store. We need a new bedroom suit so we might go looking this evening. Hopefully, I will be more interested this time, instead of just rushing through to look so we can leave so I can drink.

I really want my life to be better. I do t have anyone to talk to about it because most of my friends are my coworkers and I don't want them to know. I tell them everything, but not about this.

I am getting older now (funny huh?) and the time for another child is running out. But definitely don't want to bring one up in this environment like my first son. My husband and I want one more but can't even get pregnant right now, I'm guessing from the alcohol.
Old 01-29-2015, 01:05 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Do your best

You can talk us 24/365 you have tons of support here Jillian
Old 01-29-2015, 01:29 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Thanks wolf.

I got a nice surprise a little bit ago. My husband sent me flowers, just to brighten my day.

When I leave work in a few, I'm going straight home, then we are going to look at furniture. Maybe go out to eat.

I just don't want to get that urge! My mind is already saying, if you don't have at least one (drink) or taper off, your body is going to go thru withdrawals!

I'm not going to stress too much about the cigs right now. But still have only had one ALL day
Old 01-29-2015, 01:42 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

you sound like a fighter, Jillian.

Think of your cheering section, jumping in the air with pom poms and the whole thing. Go Jillian, Go fight win.
Old 01-29-2015, 03:28 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

You can do this Jillian!!

I had to take some tough steps to ensure I didn't stop off at the liquor store on the way from work, to the point of in the morning leaving my bank cards and wallet at home, I would make a packed lunch for work, ensure I had enough fuel in my car and so didn't need to carry any cash/cards.

Sometimes we just need to get revolutionary in our ideas, make it happen regardless!!