Notices

119 days and had to stay away with work

Old 01-28-2015, 11:18 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

119 days and had to stay away with work

Stayed overnight at a hotel with work and even though there was a free bar, I didn't drink! There was real ale and wine and not a drop passed my lips!

I sat there and laughed to myself as I watched my colleagues get drunk and just keep talking shop! I tried to change the conversation and realised the only thing I have in common is work with these people. Their lives are so much different to mine (most have kids and that's all they talk about other than work), nothing wrong with that and I respect it, but they also all drink to excess and admit it, but see nothing wrong. Everything I mentioned they became disapproving of and argumentative.

One other wasn't drinking and had given up for January, with everyone congratulating them, they then turned to me and asked if I was doing it, with the other person stating they were going to get drunk Sunday as January was over etc. I simply said, I am doing a dry life and didn't want to drink again! It went silent and I got no congratulations, just and "ok, well never mind and how odd not to ever want to drink again", so risky, I replied, well I was letting it rule my life and now my life is mine again!

I then mentioned I was going to a VW show and a festival and was scoffed at as they would never camp! I explained it was different as I had my Camper van and they said unless it was glam ping and there was a bed, they wouldn't entertain it!

It was so funny as they were all disagreeing with each other and slagging everyone else off!

I was glad to go to bed.

Next morning, hangovers were evident when they were knocking stuff over and spilling things at breakfast, me.....a steady hand and clear head, well worth it!
Old 01-28-2015, 11:23 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Sober since 10th April 2012

Well done Buggirl! True sobriety often brings awkward responses from drinkers. Makes them think about whether they should be doing it too. I often get people justifying their drinking to me; as if I cared!
Old 01-28-2015, 11:31 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

great going buggirl
Old 01-29-2015, 05:09 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Do your best

You done awesome Buggirl congrats on 119 days !
Old 01-29-2015, 05:30 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

!! Well done !!
Old 01-29-2015, 05:57 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Van Man

Way to nail it, Buggirl! Prevailing in those Hotel circumstances is massive!

I had an old Delivery Van named 'Rollo' back in the day. Hauled around Band Equipment. Mixed Concerts and Peace Protests out the open Back Doors, out of the Weather. Camped in it. Slept in it. Fully enjoyed it.-) I'm still a small Trailer-owning Dude. Well, my Trailer is small.

My Soul Mate of ~38 years had a red '68 VW named 'Harold' when we hooked up. She still loves that long-gone 'Dub. She moved to Boulder Colorado from Detroit with only everything she could jam into that Car. The Heater sucked, but there ya go...

She took a Rock under her VW Passat yesterday on a Mountain Pass, and limped down into Town. I dropped the destroyed 'Belly Pan' Shield in a Coffee Shop Parking Lot yesterday afternoon after packing out with my Tools. I played Super Hero last night over take-away Pizza after saving her day, although my Outfit doesn't quite fit like it used to.-) Time for a new Belly Pan. Couldn't even have done all this hammered, fo sho...

Way to rock it at the Hotel under challenging circumstances! Welcome to The New Normal. It grows on ya.

VW Camper Van Pix

-----
Old 01-29-2015, 06:02 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Awesome work! That's so admirable and I'm admittedly a little bit jealous....back at my old company I used to be one of those drunk colleagues - I'd love to see it from the other side, it must be so satisfying. Well done indeed!
Old 01-29-2015, 06:08 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Way to go, Buggirl; nicely done!!!!!! Hangover-free morning rock, don't they???!!!!!
Old 01-29-2015, 09:51 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thanks guys!
Old 01-29-2015, 10:40 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad you got through it, Buggirl.
Old 01-29-2015, 11:21 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Your evening away with work is now like mine!
I love waking up and watching everyone struggle after a really late night and too much booze.
I make sure I ask lots of difficult, taxing questions, especially to the one's who insulted me or off hand the night before.

The same conversations and repeating stories makes me so glad not to be a drinker anymore.
Old 01-29-2015, 12:19 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Way to go, buggirl.
Old 01-29-2015, 12:37 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Way to go. Chalk it up as another victory notch on your belt!
Old 01-29-2015, 01:59 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Nice bug girl. When I was drinking and someone said they stopped I would say things like that also. Like "hell why live then" and wouldn't that take the fun out of life? Well having numbed myself out for 9 years now I can say I was not having fun and at some level believe I was jealous. I remember this past year I'd start saying things like "maybe I should join you". Also I try to stay away from work functions now when I can.

Real proud of you though. And you should as well.
Old 01-29-2015, 03:31 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Great stuff Buggirl!!