Notices

Sugar is NOT my friend

Old 01-28-2015, 02:46 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Sugar is NOT my friend

When I was in AA the last time I attempted this, I was told that SUGAR IS YOUR FRIEND. And, yes, I was having cravings. Still am.

I was having something sweet every night, and waking up feeling like I had about ten shots of whiskey the night before.

I read on WebMD that sugar is bad for those in alcohol recovery, and someone said something to the same effect here. Last night I abstained from anything sweet.

And I feel roughly 100 times better than I did yesterday.

I realize that there are very few absolute truths in this business, other than simply not taking that first drink. But, for me, sugar is a very, very bad idea.
Old 01-28-2015, 02:53 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I don't think anyone would intentionally take sugar as part of a long term health plan. It does help me a lot though to deal with cravings and does therefore have a place especially in early recovery. If the choice is between ice cream and chocolate or a drink that leads to a relapse then I would choose sugar every time.
If I am not experiencing a strong craving then there is little need to take some in whatever form.
Frankly, I would drink a litre of cooking oil or eat a block of wood if it stopped me drinking.
Old 01-28-2015, 03:05 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

yeah.... good points on both sides of this topic.

In early recovery, I was feeling a lot of low energy and low emotion and my sponsor suggested karo syrup in juices as a sugar 'supplement'.

His theory was that I'd cut out about 1,000 calories a day in alcohol-based sugar intake and that having extra sugar would help keep cravings at bay. Between that and sodas and having candy on hand - it did seem to help with both energy issues and cravings.

Trouble is, sugar is a short-term 'solution' and has it's own addictive nature. The 'energy' is short lived and comes with a crash phase. I've always been somewhat of a sugar addict I suppose, ever since my youth. I am still having a bit too much in my diet and sometimes get cravings for sweets even now over a year into sobriety.

It used to be less noticeable, the negative effect. But, in my 40's, I can FEEL the energy crashes and it certainly does my waistline and health no real favors. Been wanting to transition to a lower-caffeine / low-refined-sugars diet but finding both really tough to break free from.

Progress. Not perfection.
Old 01-28-2015, 03:06 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I let my body tell me what it needs, except Alcohol, It will have to do without.
Old 01-28-2015, 03:18 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I reckon sugar gives me a hangover type feelingnif I bjnge onnit same with salt, particularly the next morning, good point mate
Old 01-28-2015, 03:53 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

If it helps you get off the booze and stay off during that first 3-6 month period I think that's worth the tradeoff. Obviously you shouldn't be crushing quarts of ice cream every night, but if a pint of Ben & Jerry's keeps you away from the pint of J&B, that's probably an acceptable sacrifice.

Over the long term however I think one ought to give some thought to carrying over some of the discipline you develop in the sobriety process about controlling what goes into your body, over to improving diet. It's conceptually kind of similar, and for me felt like sort of a natural progression (over a couple of years, of course -- just seems like rapid change isn't something I'm very good at).
Old 01-28-2015, 04:55 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Do your best

I have sugar in my tea dont understand how ppl drink tea without sugar like seriously its disgusting without sugar lol

As long as you have a nice varied balanced diet i wouldnt worry so much
Old 01-28-2015, 05:03 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

The issue is this. Carbohydrates (refined sugar being about as carb as you can get) can, in some people, boost serotonin - the stuff that makes you feel good when you do all sorts of pleasurable things, including consuming alcohol (however much of a 'pleasure' that is for addicts). The body can get confused by replacing alcohol with lots of sugar (which I have done in the past) and create cravings which are very similar or possibly even the same as those associated with alcohol withdrawal. Some people are suggesting that for some of us when we quit it is best to quit sugar as well, at least to begin with. I'm trying it anyway.
Old 01-28-2015, 05:18 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
*Ex Missus

Yeah I've read some contradicting stuff about sugar and recovery too. I have soothed myself with sweet stuff during the harder cravings. So guilty there but in general I find that a healthy small meal will do the trick just as well. Bit of cheese and a glass of OJ. Bowl of tuna and sweetcorn. Some cereal etc... You might not fancy those things at the time but by the time you've ate it. That impulse for something sugary is gone plus less guilt about the empty cals or that rough come down feeling from the rush.
Old 01-28-2015, 05:33 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I never suffered from sugar cravings before I quit, but I had nights where I struggled to sleep without 5 bowls of sugary cereal in my first 5 or 6 weeks sober. Those cravings are almost gone now and the middle of the night carb attacks with it. It was a little weird to experience it so strong but then again it was a period of crisis management where anything was an option other than drinking.
Old 01-28-2015, 05:38 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I'm lucky as I never did have much of a sweet tooth to begin with (weird, wine was my poison) - I'm a chip gal.
However, the refined carbs...I regret them every single time I go overboard (usually Sundays)...I eat pretty darn healthy all week...but Sundays I find myself constantly snacking on carbs we have. Monday morning, I usually wake up feeling gross and depressed. LOL.
I really need to make an effort to be conscious on Sundays of what I am shoving in my face.
Old 01-28-2015, 05:45 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Sober Soldier

livinginhope, I agree with you. I don't like the idea of gorging on sugary foods anytime a craving hits. And that is not to devalue anyone's recovery methods. You do what you have to do. But if you can deal with cravings without the sugar, I'm all for it.

And soberwolf, I drink tea sugarless all the time. It is puristically delicious!
Old 01-28-2015, 05:50 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Until It Sleeps

I read similar about sugar being bad, but medicinal if the cravings a real bad, but try to use fruit instead of sweets. I low carb eat and was glad to learn that a high fat diet helps flush the liver and start repairing the damage the alcohol has caused.
Old 01-28-2015, 05:59 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

My experience matches up with yours, Living. The sugar eventually hurt me. Had to cut way back. I had the sugar hangover you've described, the morning after, similar to an alcohol hangover. Yeah, I do not think eating copious amounts of sugar is good for anyone! In early sobriety, in a pinch, I can see that it might be a really good thing though. So maybe AA meant that it was good very early on. I hope people don't think pouring sugary coffee and donuts down their throats at AA meetings ongoing is a smart thing. It's just not.
Old 01-28-2015, 06:16 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Sugar is bad for anyone, alcoholic or not. Everytime I tried to get sober people kept telling me to snack on sugar like candy, icecream pastries and such. I felt miserable and physical cravings for alcohol. Then I just started listening to what my inner voice was saying: " if alcohol breaks down into pure sugar in my body, how could it help me to keep putting sugar in my body in any form?" Well I experimented and stopped sugar and I noticed a big difference. Very few physical cravings for a drink number one and just overall felt better and more clear headed than anyother timei tried to get sober. Then I dug in and did clinical research on sugar; it is highly addictive and causes all sorts of mental and physical problems.
Old 01-28-2015, 06:22 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Do your best

Originally Posted by mns1 View Post
livinginhope, I agree with you. I don't like the idea of gorging on sugary foods anytime a craving hits. And that is not to devalue anyone's recovery methods. You do what you have to do. But if you can deal with cravings without the sugar, I'm all for it.

And soberwolf, I drink tea sugarless all the time. It is puristically delicious!
Yuk lol
Old 01-28-2015, 06:27 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I'm dealing with this issue now, on day 56 of sobriety. I never had a "sweet tooth" in my entire adult life. Sugary foods never even registered on my radar. Now, candy, ice cream and other sweets are part of my daily routine. I feel that if it comes down to a craving for alcohol or sweets, sweets will be the only choice. At least in early sobriety. Healthy in the long term? Probably not, but as a tool to help with quitting drinking in the early days, I say use it.

The store I used to buy beer and wine at everyday is now the place I pick up a pack or two of Reece's Cups.
Old 01-28-2015, 10:11 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Gniknus, except for the fact that I have been sober for exactly half the time you have , 28 days, your post could been written by me. I still don't take sugar in tea or coffee but whereas I never had any attraction to sweet, sugary things I am now eating sweets and candies, cakes, chocolate desserts the lot. All this is on top of what I eat anyway

LivingIH - now that you've stopped eating the sweet stuff do you still want it or has the craving for it gone too?

I'm gonna carry on eating crap for now because it's essential I quit drinking than anything but it is something I will have to deal with eventually
Old 01-28-2015, 01:08 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I crave sweets more than a drink, but I am putting a stop to it right now. I believe that sugar has been prolonging my withdrawal symptoms. No temporary pleasure from eating a treat is worth that.

I think that the sugar triggers a response in the brain similar to alcohol. That's why we crave it and that's why I have been getting phantom hangovers. One night without it and I felt one hell of a lot better today.

I spent a lifetime torturing my mind and body, and now I want to do everything in my power to make up for it. That means a smart diet. I have been taking the time to make oatmeal every morning instead of a crap breakfast on the run. I'm eating beans and rice instead of fatty meats and fries. I have been going to the gym until it hurts. I am keeping my brain active by reading a lot.

I want a better life in every way, and for me sobriety is only one part of it.