Notices

Next Steps

Old 01-27-2015, 07:18 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Resolutely Staying Sober ODAAT

Next Steps

So, my last drink (and it was a massive drunk) was on 1/8/15, I woke up on the 9th and had my wife recount all of the stupid stuff that I did (and could not remember), and made the decision to stop putting off becoming a sober husband, father, and friend. This is the longest that I have been sober since I started drinking regularly, and I can honestly say that even though there have been times of immense cravings, I love the fact that I wake up with a clear head and feel like a better human being.

I started seeing an addiction counselor, and so far he has been a highly positive influence and supportive cornerstone to helping me to fight this life destroying addiction.

I have avoided AA simply because I am adverse to sharing feelings in a public setting with strangers; however, I am starting to think that seeking out a meeting in my area would be a good idea for further support (now that my head is clear). I guess I am curious as to how it works...I found a meeting just a few blocks away at a church in my neighborhood, they meet every Monday, and I think that next Monday I am going to go just to check out how the process works. Any helpful hints on what to expect?

I am happy to be sober, and I hope that I never go back to the person that I was 20 days ago, with the support of this forum, my counselor, and hopefully the AA group I am going to visit, I will never turn back to the bottle again.
Old 01-27-2015, 07:32 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

AA was a bust for me at first, but that was more of a product of the people at the meetings I went to. I didn't fit in with the group so it wasn't that great. HOWEVER, I found a good group of people and I've found it helps immensely. There was one thing that stuck out to me: My first AA meeting, it was my first day sober. I was surprised that they gave me my first coin (24 hour coin). It was very powerful. Think of an "I can do this" motivator.

They vary a lot between places I have found.
Old 01-28-2015, 05:15 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Do your best

Exellent post Nuke AA mtns really helped me out

Congrats on 20 days sober

Seriously enjoyed reading your post well done bud
Old 01-28-2015, 07:09 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Congratulations on your sober time.

No matter how you choose to get sober and STAY sober there are some things most have to do to accomplish it long term.
I needed to be honest with myself about MY drinking AND ACCEPT the fact I cannot drink in safety one day at a time in a row.
Work and changes are also part of long term sobriety. Never forgetting our past history. The result can be a great feeling of being comfortable in our own skin. Well worth leaving the drink behind.

BE WELL
Old 01-28-2015, 07:19 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Congratulations on 20 sober days, Nuke; well done!!!!

I don't use AA but have two real-life friends (one sober about 30 years and the other about 9 or 10 years - not sure) who credit AA with not only their sobriety but for saving their lives.

Hope the meeting goes well for you.
Old 01-28-2015, 08:15 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

It sounds like you're doing what you need to do.
Old 01-28-2015, 09:46 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Keep pushing through Nuke!! Great stuff!!
Old 01-28-2015, 07:41 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

whatever way you find that works is awesome in my book

D