Notices

Fell off and have been run over by the wagon!

Old 01-27-2015, 11:26 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Fell off and have been run over by the wagon!

Made it to new years eve and ran into my ex at a bar with another guy.. Got hammered, should have just left on first sight! Turned into a three day cocaine,beer,booze,what do ya got? Binge!! Then took a few days off,hating life, and my bday rolls around,rinse and repeat! I just now finished off a thur-sun "what do ya got?" bender again! It has to stop! I'm late 30's and not sure how much more of this my mind and body can take. Today is sober day 2.
Old 01-27-2015, 11:29 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Make this one count!

You're better than this.
Old 01-27-2015, 11:29 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Great job on Day 2!!

You can do this, but going to a bar on New Year's eve was probably not a great idea regardless of running into your ex, if relapse is a possibility then we need to protect our Sobriety at all costs, make decisions on the activities we get involved in and the people we hang out with to make it work!!

Keep pushing through!!
Old 01-27-2015, 11:38 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

Give it all you've got! Read around and post often! Have you looked up local AA meetings?
Old 01-27-2015, 11:40 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

yup, just keep powering through each day. I'm in my late 30's now too and those hangovers were becoming unbearable. Like, bring on sweet death unbearable.
You got 2 days. Keep it going!!!
Old 01-27-2015, 11:43 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Your addiction needs some good old butt kicking. You can do this, don't let the AV win!
Old 01-27-2015, 11:46 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

We know this is hard, but you can do this.
Old 01-27-2015, 11:59 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I understand that her,my bday,this weekend,ect.. are all excuses for me just to get 'numb' to EVERYTHING in my life and it really is starting to scare me.
Old 01-27-2015, 12:17 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Do your best

Well done on day 2 bud
Old 01-27-2015, 03:32 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Nice work on day 2. It's important to learn from the past, but what matters most is the moment you are in - the day you are living now.

MITA
Old 01-27-2015, 03:49 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Good job owning it.

Now it's time to fix it.

Old 01-27-2015, 07:07 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

this can be your last relapse, and you dont ever have to go through this crap again, if you dont want to.
Old 01-27-2015, 07:47 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I can relate to you very much. I am also in my late 30's. Have you made a plan to stay sober? I am asking since if you have a plan in place for dealing with cravings when they hit and some strategies for keeping sober (not going to your favorite place to drink for a b-day dinner), it is much easier to deal with them. Working out, going for a walk, getting out of the house to go window shopping, going to a movie, reading a book, drinking tea, are all great ways to cope with cravings.
Old 01-27-2015, 08:17 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone! I have made some plans. I reached out to my uncle who when younger was nothing but motorcycle gang,drugs,booze and women..He's now been clean for 35 years,married to a good lady for 40yrs "BIG factor in his sobriety" and is deacon of his church. He did suggest I should change my location(24hr party town, with everything known to man available). This will take me some time as, I own a few companies and have several employees,so I just can't up and move. I'm going to attend some AA meetings this week. I ended a new dating relationship on Sun.(sales manager for large beverage company) Free booze whenever and she drinks daily.My ex was also a binge drinker/gambler. Guess I align myself with self destructive people..
I ran out of cigarettes earlier and the AV kicked in to just grab a couple beers to "tapper" when there. I called a close friend and explained it to him..He brought me a carton by to last me a while. I took the week off from work to avoid after hour temptation for a few and get my head right.
Old 01-28-2015, 11:52 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Day 3 and I will not drink! Just found out I have big clients in town who insist on me having lunch with them tomorrow.....at a strip club! I'll have to stick to club soda and cranberry because of me "being on antibiotics"..it's only a couple hours,but tossed right back into the mix and thur is normally my breaking point for the weekend..
Old 01-28-2015, 01:51 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Do your best

Well done on day 3 DontRemember

If Thurs is a trigger day then stick close to SR surround yourself with Soberness

Our friend Weasel normally puts up a weekender thread to help with this

And have you joined class of january http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...rt-3-a-21.html
Old 01-28-2015, 01:54 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Great job on Day 3!!

Keep in mind there are many in this world who don't drink for religious reasons, and they wouldn't flinch at having a soda and cranberry, and those clients wouldn't think it was weird someone saying to them, "I don't drink", whereas we as alcoholics make it into such a big deal!!

Hang in there!!
Old 01-28-2015, 02:08 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Purpleknight View Post
Great job on Day 3!!

Keep in mind there are many in this world who don't drink for religious reasons, and they wouldn't flinch at having a soda and cranberry, and those clients wouldn't think it was weird someone saying to them, "I don't drink", whereas we as alcoholics make it into such a big deal!!

Hang in there!!
Can't do the "i don't" with these guys just yet. They've known me for years and i'm not ready to announce to the world just yet. I've just started talking to my mother about the issue today...of course it was no surprise to her. We think we hide it so well. So..I've now got her support and ear to bend whenever needed. She grew up with an alcoholic father in an abusive household and her younger brother struggled with it for years, before passing from the disease at the age of 43..only a few years older than myself. Having an emotional day today..feel like a lil bitch for letting it get this far.
Old 01-28-2015, 04:41 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I can relate, I was a "what do you got kind of guy." Friday-Sun was vodka, coke, weed - and this was all normal among my group. I have been telling my close friends in the circle that I am quitting - some get it, some don't. I am at day 20 and am avoiding places and people that trigger me, although I am not looking forward to explaining to all my different friends that I am sober. I really just plan to get them out of my life...hanging with them will be too much if a trigger - and I have been wanting to get a new social circle for a while. If anything, I feel ya man and I am going through something similar.
Old 01-28-2015, 05:27 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Thanks,pepsi! It is a vicious cycle! I'm hoping without me drinking, I'll be able to still hang out with my friends who do party. I went over a 6mo drug free just because. Just watching them made me proud of my decision..Then had a breakup and all hell broke loose! Or...maybe sober I'll find them annoying? Guess time will tell..
About now is the time I'd be stopping by the bar/store for some after work beers/drinks. Actually did cross my mind to "just go grab one"... Instead, I'm having another glass of water and deciding on dinner. Very glad I took these first few days off from work!