SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Thinking and craving (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/357780-thinking-craving.html)

Mentium 01-27-2015 10:16 AM

Thinking and craving

Early days here and thinking about alcohol and quitting quite a lot. I have realised something rather suddenly. Any thought that is remotely positive about drinking is my addictive voice trying to manipulate me into a place where I will be tempted.

I think I must try to avoid thinking about drinking as much as I can, and encourage negative thoughts about it and positive thoughts about being and staying sober!

Soberpotamus 01-27-2015 10:19 AM

Have you learned about urge surfing yet? Urge Surfing – Relapse Prevention – Mindfulness

Carlotta 01-27-2015 10:21 AM

Any thought that is remotely positive about drinking is my addictive voice trying to manipulate me into a place where I will be tempted.
Bingo. Trimpey wrote that one almost verbatim in his book Rational Recovery: The New Cure for Substance Addiction
It's good to see you back, you had quite a little chunk of time before and you can do it again.
How are you feeling today?

SoberLeigh 01-27-2015 10:21 AM

Originally Posted by SoberJennie (Post 5164845)
Have you learned about urge surfing yet? Urge Surfing – Relapse Prevention – Mindfulness

Great link, SJ.

SoberLeigh 01-27-2015 10:22 AM

Originally Posted by Mentium (Post 5164841)
Early days here and thinking about alcohol and quitting quite a lot. I have realised something rather suddenly. Any thought that is remotely positive about drinking is my addictive voice trying to manipulate me into a place where I will be tempted.

I think I must try to avoid thinking about drinking as much as I can, and encourage negative thoughts about it and positive thoughts about being and staying sober!

Good thinking, Mentium.

Soberpotamus 01-27-2015 10:24 AM

In a tiny nutshell, Urge Surfing helped me be "ok" with feeling urges or cravings to drink. Rather than malign my addictive voice (which works for some and I don't knock that!), or give in... it let me "sit with" them until they passed. Took the wind out of the sails so to speak. To use some cliches :)

Soberwolf 01-27-2015 10:25 AM

Have you got a sober plan Mentium ?

PurpleKnight 01-27-2015 10:31 AM

Sound like a plan Mentium!!

Also keep in mind that sometimes cravings will happen, but don't panic, reach out for support either here on SR or in other ways, thoughts are simply that, they pass, they aren't actions!! :)

Mentium 01-27-2015 10:33 AM

Thanks Carlotta. I'm OK(ish) today. Some minor physical discomfort - antsy as they say but nothing to complain about.

Soberwolf - thanks for asking. Yes I do. I posted about it a few days ago. Won't repeat myself here though.

..and thanks for the urge surfing link!