Notices

Bar fail lol

Old 01-27-2015, 08:18 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Bar fail lol

Met a friend for a "drink" last night as I have said before I feel no pressure in bars as of yet and it is part of work so i am making it work. Anyways he was closer to one place than the usual so I met him at this unfamiliar bar. I sat down and figured I'd just order an NA beer like I have been for almost 3 months she asked "what's that" I then said an "odouls" again what's that and a puzzled look I pointed to the sign on the wall. She said they don't sell that stuff ok, so I asked for a coke. She wanted to know if I wanted a single or a double... I said I'm trying to order a non alcoholic drink! How about a water do you know what plain water is? Ugh.... Early twenty something clueless girls.... Never got my water either as she had to "pay attention to people who tip" her words.... The whole situation was just comical and a very good reality check that I don't need to be in these places more than necessary for work....
Old 01-27-2015, 08:23 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

At least the experience was amusing, and you still didn't drink
Old 01-27-2015, 08:26 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Good grief, would it have killed her to take five seconds to get you a water? What a little snot! Hope the other patrons stiffed her!
Old 01-27-2015, 08:28 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Ugh. I agree with Gilmer about the server.

Glad that you found some humor and enlightenment during this bar fail
Old 01-27-2015, 08:28 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

How did she know you weren't going to tip?
Old 01-27-2015, 08:33 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Was she popping gum, too?
Old 01-27-2015, 08:35 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Tell me about it I've been in 3 bar situations since I quit and each time I leave probably a better tip than drinkers do just for the service because I appreciate a bartender just getting me a soda or water or the NA without making a comment.... This one obviously didn't get it
Old 01-27-2015, 08:36 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Gilmer View Post
Was she popping gum, too?
haha yes she was and playing on her phone
Old 01-27-2015, 08:52 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

*smacks forehead*
jeeeez Louise!
LOL glad you found the humour in that!
Old 01-27-2015, 09:13 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I see it as another small step too it would have been easy to give up and order a drink...
Old 01-27-2015, 09:46 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

I don't find her reaction surprising at all actually. Bars exist pretty much exclusively for drinking alcohol. If you walked into a Synagogue and expected the minister to give a new testament reading from the bible you'd probably get some odd responses too.

Early on in my sobriety I felt the need to "test" my resolve too by going back to the places I traditionally hung out and not drinking while I was there. After a pretty short period of time I realized that I really didn't need to be in those places at all.
Old 01-27-2015, 09:49 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Upminer you handled that very well.
Old 01-27-2015, 10:04 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by upminer View Post
Tell me about it I've been in 3 bar situations since I quit and each time I leave probably a better tip than drinkers do just for the service because I appreciate a bartender just getting me a soda or water or the NA without making a comment.... This one obviously didn't get it
On the rare occasion that I go to a bar or pub and don't order food (just ice tea), I, too, always leave the same tip that I would have left had I been served alcohol.

The waitress has a lot to learn.
Old 01-27-2015, 10:29 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

A very good learning curve for the future!! Hang in there Upminer!!
Old 01-27-2015, 11:24 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Do your best

Handled that very well Uminer
Old 01-27-2015, 11:27 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Next time just ask for a double water. LOL!
Old 01-27-2015, 11:35 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I don't frequent bars much anymore but having been a bartender I think she needs some more on the job training.
Old 01-27-2015, 11:41 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Ive never understood the entire "tipping" tradition for any sort of service. I used to be a bartender in Sweden and nobody tipped there, and guess what I still gave amazing service to anyone and everyone and you know why? Because I was paid very well by the establishment.

As a result drink prices were slightly more, as well as food. If people didn;t like my service they didn;t return, and if they didn't return then there would be no more business. But before that ever happened I could guarantee you I'd be out of a job quickly. There are hundreds of people lined up for a sweet gig like that.

I feel the same about everything that involves tipping - yes I tip and normally 20% because I just couldn't bother, but the reality is there should be no need.

Like when I go to my barber - why do I give him $20.00 on a $16.00 cut??? because he cuts my hair nicely? It's HIS business, if he wants more money he should charge $18.00 or even $20.00. Supply and demand will dictate if he stays in business. If I walk in for a hair cut, I expect to have top notch service regardless of price.

Especially restaurants. Everyone always complains about servers needing money to live. It's because the owners can pay less than minimum wage. That's ridiculous!! pay them the going rate to KEEP them - roll that money into the price of food, and if the servers are that great people will CHOOSE to go to that restaurant because the patron gets good food and great service. It just seems counter-intuitive that the patron should pay for the service they receive.

That's my rant for the day --- don't get me started on taxi drivers.
Old 01-27-2015, 12:14 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I had a friend who wasn't alcoholic but decided to give it up for other health reasons. He and his girlfriend went to a local gastropub as they were known for their good food. They happened to go during happy hour and he wanted to order a virgin banana daquri.

The bartender was beyond confused by the term virgin even after my friend explained it meant sans alcohol. Once the bartender finally understood he wanted a blended drink without alcohol, he scoffed at my friend like he was nuts. It got so bad, the manager had to come out and tell the bartender to make him the drink. The bartender than proceeded to argue with the manager.

My friend just got up and walked out.. they never have been back as a result.
Old 01-27-2015, 03:17 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I don't get it. Most bars will give you water or soda all night long if you are the DD. And I would tip for water or soda. I say would because I have not been to a bar since I quit. I have been outside the bar waiting on my wife that had too many to drive, but didn't go in.