Notices

New

Old 01-25-2015, 02:49 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

New

Hey i am new and have been trying to be good. How do you all make yourself stay sober? I can talk my self out of it in 10 mins. I think a couple and I can sleep..
Old 01-25-2015, 02:56 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Until It Sleeps

Hello. Ita a choice , one you have to make. I'm choosing not to drink to many things to stay sober for. Good luck.
Old 01-25-2015, 03:00 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome, tealfox, to SR.

For me, it all finally came together once I realized, acknowledged and accepted, once and for all and never to change mind, that I was an alcoholic and that alcohol had absolutely nothing of value to offer me.

Glad you found SR, tealfox.
Old 01-25-2015, 03:04 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Helloooooooo.

When I was sick of wasting days hungover instead of building memories for my kids and having family days...not sat in the bathroom spewing all day.
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Yes, it's about acceptance, tealfox. When you accept that you are an alcoholic, you can accept that no longer drinking is the way to go. You can do this!
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks. I should change my 10 minute thing. I can go days, but it is the "boredom" in the early night that I think drink. How do I lose the mindset of feeling good to being an idiot. Because when I have a few I sometimes have way to many.
Old 01-25-2015, 03:06 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum!!

That pretty much sums things up, our minds are addicted to alcohol so the key for me was to get a second opinion, every time my mind would lie to me and try to convince me to drink I would reach out for support, some people use SR, others meetings.

By using resources other than sheer willpower and my own mind, 10mins would turn into 10 days and then 10 months!!

You can do this with the right support!!
Old 01-25-2015, 03:11 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

see I do want to do this. Another problem is I have friends that can drink and have fun sometimes drink too much. But I know I have a problem. How do I do it without the uncomfortable thing?
Old 01-25-2015, 03:15 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

For me I needed to view it like any other allergy, if you were allergic to nuts would you go out and buy a packet of nuts or try to still have the odd nut on occasion because others can? or would that be it for nuts in your lifetime? most would choose the latter and not be uncomfortable because that is simply their makeup.

What others do or can do doesn't change the fact that I can't drink in moderation, the facts don't change that I can't and so need to find a solution in my own circumstances, it did however mean some tough decisions on the activities I then got involved in and the people I hung out with to make it happen.

The day I stopped having that first drink and parted ways with alcohol on a permanent basis saw my life take a turn for the better!!
Old 01-25-2015, 03:34 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

So I can control my drinking in certain situations. So I think I am a controlled drunk. Everytime I drink is not until blackout. So that is what makes me in a weird group. I know alcohol is an issue but not a losing everything. I have a house and have a great job. But I think I use it for mental therapy. Is there any of you like me?
Old 01-25-2015, 03:45 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I wouldn't say my story is that dissimilar from yours, never lost a job, never missed a day at work, never lost my driving licence, no divorces or loosing kids, no financial problems, no one really knew I even had a problem.

But every evening I came home from work and drank to deal with life, drank it all away, the stress, the mental turmoil of life, it became a crutch, woke up the next morning with a hangover and life went on.

The problem was the hangovers were getting worse and the drinking was starting to spiral, what once was a bottle of beer had turned into wine and then into liquor, things were noticeably progressing and I realised I needed to get off the train a few stops back before it crashed.

If alcohol is causing problems in your life, and I would include hangovers at work in that, because I was still being limited in terms of my potential at work, which I realise now in hindsight, then it's time to make a few changes, for me as I mentioned I have never looked back after parting ways with alcohol on a permanent basis!!