Notices

Newcomer here

Old 01-25-2015, 01:06 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Helloooooooo.

Newcomer here

I'm 28 and want to give up drinking forever because it is becoming a problem, I have two kids and a great husband and we have a nice family. I don't get drunk at home but I do drink a lot of wine through the week, and if I go out with my friends I get so drunk I never remember anything.
My dad was an alcoholic and he died last year after drinking several bottles of vodka and cider and he fell down the stairs and banged his head and died.
This was only before Christmas, and after this I just don't want to drink anymore! But I am having a hard time saying no to that glass of wine or stopping drinking when I know I've drank enough.
My friends don't drink too much, and it's always me who gets wasted when we go out.
I went out last night and this morning I said to my husband I didn't remember us coming home last night, as we went to a works do...and he said I didn't come home I stayed out and didn't come home until 4am!
I asked my friends what happened and they said I went off somewhere and left my phone and things behind, where I went and what I did I have absolutely no idea! It happens everytime I go out, and it just results in terrible hangovers, missed days and less money, plus it's pretty dangerous because anything could have happened to me when I'm unaware.
I don't like the unknown feeling, and it's easy to say just stop when you've drank enough, but when you are drunk that doesn't happen.
My husband said he will support me if that's what I want to do.
Anyway hi and that's my story.
Old 01-25-2015, 01:11 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi Frosty, and welcome. You will find a lot of encouragement and support here. Sounds to me like you suffer from what a lot of us do....inability to moderate. I know that I absolutely cannot take the first drink because 1 always turns into 20. Accepting that drinking is just no longer an option for me is what is making all the difference.

I'm glad you're here! Keep posting and read around the boards. It helps.
Old 01-25-2015, 01:18 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Do your best

Welcome Frosty nice to meet you
Old 01-25-2015, 01:19 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome, Frosty, to SR. You will find support, understanding and encouragement here.

Blackouts are very frightening and dangerous, too. It never has to happen again; congratulations on your decision to give up drinking.

We are here for you 24/7/365.
Old 01-25-2015, 01:20 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Until It Sleeps

Hi, Welcome, and this is a good place to start.
Old 01-25-2015, 01:23 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome, I had some blackouts at the end of my drinking days too, and it still scares me when I think of them. There is absolutely no recollection at all of large pieces of time. It's especially dangerous for women.

I hope you decide to stop drinking.
Old 01-25-2015, 01:35 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum Frosty!!
Old 01-25-2015, 01:37 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Helloooooooo.

I hope I decide to stop drinking too, I am feeling confident about it. Just have to break the habit, like wine at the end of the day when the kids are in bed, and I can replace with a new habit like chocolate, mmmmmm chocolate! Chocolate milkshake! Ha I want one now.
Thanks for the welcome everyone.
Old 01-25-2015, 01:38 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Welcome! I am sure you will find a lot of strong support here.
Old 01-25-2015, 02:29 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Welcome Frosty,

Stick around and post often. There are lots of moms here in with similar stories.

Nice to meet you!
Old 01-25-2015, 02:37 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hi frosty, I can relate, I'm 29 and have two small kids. Except I don't go out I stay home and drink. There have been times where I hve blacked out and cannot recall what I said or did. It's become pretty scary. I'm starting over again today, nursing a wicked hangover and guilt for scaring my husband last night. But I have definitely decided that this is my last day 1. We can do this!
Old 01-25-2015, 02:52 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Helloooooooo.

How's the hangover? Mines just about gone, you'd think we would learn lol cus hangovers and kids together, killer.
We sound pretty similar, how old are your kids? Mines 10 months and 4 years. Yeah we can be sobering buddies.
We can come on here to vent to each other and de-stress and moan about the kids/hubby/etc instead of drinking.
Do you drink a lot or often?
I would have 2/3 glasses of wine a night maybe 5 days a week then just get smashed if I go to town maybe once a month. It's the jäger bombs ��
Old 01-25-2015, 08:15 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Frostyfrost View Post
I don't like the unknown feeling, and it's easy to say just stop when you've drank enough, but when you are drunk that doesn't happen.
My husband said he will support me if that's what I want to do.
Anyway hi and that's my story.
Hi and welcome to SR, Frosty!

I so often had that "unknown feeling," too. Once I took that first drink, I lost control over my drinking. I had no idea what I had done, where I had gone, what time I’d left, or how I’d driven home.

I’m 13 days sober now, and my life is already so much better.

I’m really glad you are here. Sounds like you have much to be grateful for and want to live sober. SR is a great place for support and acceptance. Please keep posting.

Grace
Old 01-25-2015, 08:21 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Magsie

Hiya Frosty I'm pleased you found us. Lots of help and support here for you.

I drank wine and when I first stopped craved sweet stuff. Keep plenty of ice cream or/and choccie in.

It took me a lot of years, regrets and blackouts before I stopped.

Contrary to belief, there is a life without booze, a very fulfilling one.
Old 01-25-2015, 08:25 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I hope I decide to stop drinking too

I hope you do too It is rough and you have found a group of people who totally understand the struggle. Keep your mind focused on a new way of unwinding and you will be pleasantly surprised. I don't think anyone here could stop with just one or two... I couldn't stop at 10 lol. If i hadn't of stopped recently, i would be changing that to 12, and then 14, and then bourbon.... etc.

Being out of control is no way to live, no matter how much fun it seems at the time.
Old 01-25-2015, 08:39 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Cause no harm

Welcome Frosty. I hope you visit often.
Old 01-25-2015, 08:56 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I hope you choose a better life over one that has drinking in it. Living sober is so rewarding. I thought my life would be boring if I wasn't drinking. Nothing could be further from the truth. What I mistook for 'boredom' was really 'peace and quiet'.
Old 01-26-2015, 03:50 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I too have a family history of alcoholism. Don't let that become a self fulfilling prophecy.
Old 01-26-2015, 10:52 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Frostyfrost View Post
How's the hangover? Mines just about gone, you'd think we would learn lol cus hangovers and kids together, killer.
We sound pretty similar, how old are your kids? Mines 10 months and 4 years. Yeah we can be sobering buddies.
We can come on here to vent to each other and de-stress and moan about the kids/hubby/etc instead of drinking.
Do you drink a lot or often?
I would have 2/3 glasses of wine a night maybe 5 days a week then just get smashed if I go to town maybe once a month. It's the jäger bombs ��
My hangover lasted all day long, it took a good nights sleep to completely disappear. My pattern is really similar to yours, I'll drink maybe 3-4 nights a week and then usually get druuuuunk on Friday or Saturday. Not good, my little ones are 1 and 3, so definitely still dependent on me for everything. Which is my main reason for wanting to quit. I can't be the kind of mother I want to be when I am constantly hungover. The empty calories aren't helping me lose the last 15 pounds of baby weight I'm hanging onto either. Drinking isn't really fun for me anymore, I rarely have fun when I'm drinking anymore and I'm so tired of waking up the next morning wondering what I may have said or done (or who I called or texted).on my day 2 now, don't forsee myself drinking tonight either.
Old 01-26-2015, 11:02 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Hello and welcome. I am also a mother of Almost 4-year-old. I was a binge drink her. I wouldn't drink that often but when I did most of the time it was on. I blacked out drunk and horrible things have happened to me while passed out, so ever putting ourselves in that position is really stupid. I also decided to quit drinking because I couldn't be the mother I wanted to be to my little girl. Being hungover and having to take care of the kid is terrible. I would suggest that you read a lot here. It has really helped me. I do not go to AA meetings but I do use some AVRT methods. I also come to SR almost every day. I do not post that often, but I read all the time and I find that it really helps. Then, whenever I need to vent I know that SR is there for me.

We can make our lives what we want them to be.

Welcome to the fam.