Notices

meditation?

Old 01-25-2015, 10:00 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

meditation?

Meditation

It seems that meditation is a part of a lot of sobriety plans. I am trying it and sometimes feel a bit silly. *Does it just take time to recognize the benefits?

Does it ever click as a tool that you can "feel" relieving you? *I'm sure, in the past, we all dealt with stress and anxiety in the same way. Clearly it isn't going to be an instant rush. I need to find a new and healthy way to check these now.*

I'll keep trying mindful meditation as it is ubiquitous in sobriety literature. I'm just hoping eventually it will seem like I am doing more than just thinking breath in, breath out...or maybe that's the whole point and I'm missing it.

I would like to hear about others personal experience with meditation. Not just the theory and technique but how it feels or what it means to you.*

Sorry if this is considered overly personal.*

Thanks,
Axiom
Old 01-25-2015, 10:05 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

Right now I am taking a Zen meditation class at a monastery. It is freaking awesome and it really helps me relax. Meditation (and belly breathing techniques) is also very good if you are dealing with anxiety like a lot of alcoholics do and help you center yourself and stay in the moment rather than dwelling in a painful past or projecting into the future then worrying etc.
Old 01-25-2015, 10:12 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I haven't experienced some sort of "click" or feeling of relief in a visceral sense. It's more that there's a discipline or routine of a blank space... it's kind of like a blank canvas. You allow for any thoughts/feelings without judgement (which takes some time to become accustomed to, btw) to arise, and you are the "observer" of them... not a thinker, doer, planner, judge, etc. You only observe it all going on in the brain and all around you. And over time, this carries over into daily life when you aren't technically practicing. You begin to become mindful at different points in the day, just out of training or habit. That's when I think it can become truly enlightening and helpful in a practical sense. It's allowed me, personally, to become more appreciative and accepting of reality.