Notices

new sober mommy

Old 01-25-2015, 05:02 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

new sober mommy

Trying to stay sober has been rough. I'll go a couple of months, although in a different environment around people who don't drink, to being home and my husband can drink every day with no problem. We've gotten into the habit of drinking every day and we both need to stop. I am in charge of taking care of everything while my husband works rotating shifts and I work a reg schedule so I wanted to find something I could do and not go to meetings. Hoping this helps!
Old 01-25-2015, 05:24 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome brightnsober! I don't do meetings. I just come here and have been sober for over 5 months. So stick around. You will find lots of support here.
Old 01-25-2015, 05:31 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi.

You’ll probably get a lot of suggestions that you’re looking for and may work for you IF you’re consistent every day following them. The same with AA, they work if we work them. Many like/need people contact with people who understand us.
I did/do after a lot of years.

Very often the softer, easier ways don’t work for long and that is a big problem for so many.
Keep coming and reading posts here for a look at the future, both positive and negative.

BE WELL
Old 01-25-2015, 05:33 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

This site works.
Use it as a tool and you will be the sober mom you want to be.
Old 01-25-2015, 05:58 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi bright. Mom of 4 here and sober. 24 days in and committed this time. Use the site. Use therapy. Use anything you can because you're worth it.
Old 01-25-2015, 06:01 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Welcome brightnsober. Congratulations on your choice and for seeking help to attain it. Some here use SR as a primary source of support, others use it to supplement another. The key seems to be daily work no matter what method though. Hope you can stick around and join us, it's a very welcoming and understanding place.
Old 01-25-2015, 06:17 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

I believe the key to recovery is your motivation. If you are motivated you will be able to do this. We are here to offer support.
Old 01-25-2015, 07:08 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum Brightnsober!!
Old 01-25-2015, 08:02 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Mom of 2 & sober for 5 months. There is much peace & serenity to be found here. I hope you will find a spot that works for you.

Join us on the 24 hour thread - it's my #1 tool in combatting this insidious monster. Help is here - all you have to do is ask.

Wishing you peace & hope.
Old 01-25-2015, 08:33 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Mom of two here and tring to stay sober as well ..... I joined this site January 6th and it helps a lot ..... Amazing support and a place you can be honest with yourself and others with no judgement !!

Stay strong
Old 01-25-2015, 08:43 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Sober Soldier

Hello brightnsober, you've come to a good place!
Old 01-25-2015, 08:52 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Welcome!

Managing your job, home chores, raising your children, will be so much easier sober.
Doing the above hungover all the time is rough. But sober, nah, piece of cake!
Old 01-25-2015, 08:58 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Welcome Brightnsober,

Mom of 3 here. I've maintined sobreity for years in the past put started again and struggled to put the drink down for another few years. I'm on day 16 now and feeling good.

Stay close to this forum. There are terrific people who give no judgement and tons of support.

We're glaad to have you!!
Old 01-25-2015, 09:01 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

What works is what works....IF you find this place a good site and tool to put in your box of tools than use it.
I personally have a little more than 10 yrs soberity and would say this is a great tool,and as any mechanic would do. I cant change an engine with only a screwdriver. I fill the tool box with as many things as I can just in case. Websites, forums, meetings and if you are near as proud and embarrassed as I was for being in AA I went to a town where no one knew me to get a couple balanced meetings in a week or as often as I could without anyone noticing at first, phone numbers, the support lines in NY and 1-800 numbers, rehab centers, dry out centers ( not sure what they call the detox centers anymore).........

Point being...use the site as a tool. and if this tool does the job then stay with it.....if you need more tools....they are free help yourself to as many as you can hold.

You are on the right path.....and courageous for starting the journey...Sit back and enjoy the ride
Old 01-25-2015, 10:42 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Do your best

Welcome nice to meet you
Old 01-25-2015, 12:06 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Mom of a teenager. Welcome. Lots of moms here. Welcome.
Old 01-25-2015, 01:43 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Registered yesterday as I know I need to do something about my drinking. Had some encouraging chats in the wee hours of the morning. I read the book The Empty Room and it resonated as well as scared me. I saw myself becoming the character in the story before she got help: starting with one glass of wine and then needing to finish the bottle and begin another; binge drinking; blackouts; raging against husband and kids while in a drunken stupor and not fully certain of what was said the next day; arguing with acquaintances at parties; drunken texts then checking my phone the next day, hoping I hadn't written anything too offensive; remorse and shame the next day; thinking I'm super fun and cool while drinking, then realizing what an ass I had made of myself in a social outing; wasted days hiding out in my bedroom; missing things because I had gotten too drunk; my husband covering for me; vomiting all over myself; having to be carried up to bed; my husband berating me "Is this how you want your kids to see you?"; kids not being fully aware of how bad my drinking is but feeling uncomfortable about me drinking; vowing to quit drinking, even quitting for about 40days, only to having "a glass" and slowly making my way back to overindulgence...Looking forward to sharing here and being inspired, so although it's just my first 24 stretch (this go around), I'm hopeful that being here will make all the difference.
Old 01-25-2015, 01:56 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Welcome, brightnsober. SR is my sole source of support.

Glad you found SR.
Old 01-25-2015, 02:25 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

WElcome Aquarian,

You are in a good place. I'm on day 16 (this time around) and posting here has helped tremendously.

You sound just like me. I'm a mom of 3 and lived exactly what you described.

Check out our Class of January 2015 thread. There are lots of moms like us in that group...as well as tons of other sober support.

Nice to meet you and I look forward to getting sober together!
Old 01-25-2015, 02:52 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Thanks lovehoops