Notices

When do moods even out?

Old 01-24-2015, 04:23 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Yes JadedGirl, it is indeed WORTH IT.
Old 01-24-2015, 06:19 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

A little over a month for me to start to feel better, but it took another month for my body to start to heal and my mind to finally clear. It is different for everyone based on how much we drank.

The thing I focused on was giving my body what it needed vrs just not drinking. For me, it was eating normally and exercising. I haven't lived sober for a long, long time, so it is taking awhile. Still working on it, so can't give you a timeline, but it gets better each day.
Old 01-24-2015, 09:47 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

It took me a good three months to feel decent. Remember if you keep this up you never have to go through this again! Hugs
Old 01-25-2015, 03:27 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

It took me a long time to feel "evened out" with my moods. I'd say at three months I was better but at seven months I feel completely normal/even.
Old 01-25-2015, 04:56 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Most people on here seem to say at least 3 months. At 2 months im starting to even out but sleep and anxiety still bites me sometimes. But not all the time....hang in there coz think about how long you drank for. Do you really honestly think you would feel better in weeks? I did and boy was I wrong ;-) hang in there it absolutely will get better and you will be lovin ut its worth the patience matey
Old 01-25-2015, 05:02 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

probably different for everyone.

I was doing really well for several months... then maybe 5 months of sobriety I started hitting a wall of sadness and low energy and depression.

I did some work in therapy and started working the steps and did some meditating and found things improving.

I'm doing well now, though some days are still low days....

Some of it, I think, is simply Being Human - feeling without numbing.

Some of it is learning to cope with emotions when we really never have before.

It takes time but hang with it, keep trying new facets of sobriety, keep checking out other angles of yourself and being willing to feel those tough emotions. Be willing to go into them. Consider counseling, consider working the steps, consider trying new things in life and just keep your focus on being grateful and living with love and finding something to cherish in every day.....

It does get better, even on the days when I'm a bit glum I now find I am glum in a different way. It doesn't bother me as much. I don't fight it, I look at it with curiosity and I feel like it's ok.

Keep it up!
Old 01-25-2015, 05:14 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

It varied for me.
I agree there are ups and downs since I used alcohol to "process" and squash negative emotion. So there's learning to let that come up, feel it, and then it passes.

Be patient with yourself. I noticed you mentioned mindfulness. Meditation and Yoga are
both very helpful to this process, though you cry / get angry sometimes doing them as things release.

Sobriety is worth it. Stay on target.
Old 01-25-2015, 05:25 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Everyone says that a lot changes in the first year of sobriety. I thought that was a bunch of BS. But my experience is telling me otherwise.

It took a while for the emotions to level and the fog to clear. At 2 months I started to get better. I thought I there was no way things would continue to change. The truth was I did not realize how foggy my brain was or that the alcohol had been suppressing my emotions so much. I'm at seven months and I can honestly say that with each month the emotions have stabilized more and my thinking has gotten clearer, memory improved, etc...

Without a doubt stepwork has helped but some of it is just natural healing. I have more good days than bad, and the bad aren't horrible like they were in the first month. The old emotional teeter totter doesn't have the kid on the other end slamming it as hard as he can anymore (and that big mean kid turned out to be me).

Stick with it. One day the miracle will happen.
Old 01-25-2015, 02:41 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Thanku ..looks like maybe I was expecting too much too soon. Should have known better really. Prepared to ride through it though, short term pain, long term gain as they say xx
Old 01-25-2015, 02:44 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  
Do your best

You can do it JG & remember your going to have lots of good days too trust me

Hugs

You can always send a pm anytime
Old 01-25-2015, 02:49 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Thank you Hun xx
Old 01-25-2015, 06:43 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Right there with ya...Got some of the best news I coulda got yesterday...Yet somehow today , I am somewhere in between depressed and ticked off , for no real reason...I know it'll pass.....Just wish i could shove that AV in a bag and dump it somewhere..It is a loud talker today...

Anyways , from what I have read and seen , about 6 months...which I am waiting for...