SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Just completed first 7 days sober (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/357509-just-completed-first-7-days-sober.html)

Deanmal 01-24-2015 12:20 PM

Just completed first 7 days sober

Over the last four years of my life I have been severely addicted to pain medication. Did not matter what kind and it did not matter what strength if it was in front of my face I would take it... all of it and put it into my body in some way shape or form. I just completed my first detox program and have been out of there for two days so far. I have attended a meeting both nights so far that I have been out of detox. My plan is to complete 90 meetings in 90 days. I also have some questions about finding a home group and a sponsor. What should I look at in a person when choosing him to be my sponsor? Also what do you recommend your home group to be like? I am very new to this and I want to get it rite the first time. I never want to be in the position I was in a week ago today when I had my family sitting in a room as I fought through the tears to tell them I had a severe drug addiction. I have been told numerous times in my short length of recovery that "you aint never got to feel like that again" and I am going to do everything in my willpower to make sure that feeling never EVER returns.

JadedGirl 01-24-2015 12:21 PM

Sorry can't help with your questions but well done on ur progress so far xx

SoberLeigh 01-24-2015 12:29 PM

I can't answers your questions either, Deanmal, but someone will be along soon who will able to. Welcome to SR. We are here for you 24/7/365.

Bostongirl1980 01-24-2015 12:36 PM

Welcome.

For a sponsor you should look for someone who has what YOU want out of life. Someone you feel comfortable with and connect with. For a home group - shop around....find one where you feel comfortable with the regulars :) Good luck!

BlueSkiesAhead 01-24-2015 01:29 PM

Hello Deanmal,
Congratulations on 7 days, that is huge, and much of the worst is over. I applaud you for looking to find a home group and a sponsor. I am a sponsor myself and have a sponsor in the program. I attend several meetings a week, but have a home group where we are all truly family. I would recommend going to as many meetings as you can at times that work for your schedule. Hitting 90 in 90 days is a solid plan, and will allow you to test the groups, and you will see people there who can be potential sponsors. I suggest you find someone who is happy in the program, living their sober life working the steps, who has some sobriety under their belt. I say happy because we find a peace and a joy when we accept the program, and are truly working it. You will know simply by listening to people. You will know what I mean. As far as a home group, again, it will be with a group you can relate to, and feel comfortable with. Doing 90 in 90 will expose you to a lot of different groups. I wish you the best. It is truly life changing, and so incredibly rewarding. Keep posting here, there is a huge amount of wisdom here. Congratulations! BSA

Soberwolf 01-24-2015 01:44 PM

Welcome nice to meet you youl find a lot of support here

Dee74 01-24-2015 02:12 PM

Welcome to SR deanmal :)

D

JanieJ 01-25-2015 03:12 AM

Welcome, Deanmal, and congrats on 7 days clean.

You' ll find tons of support and understanding here :)

MelindaFlowers 01-25-2015 03:25 AM

That really helps me to know I never have to feel the way I did when I was drinking everyday. It's true! Hang onto that thought.