Notices

Tonight was a real struggle.

Old 01-24-2015, 03:29 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Well done Messy! You were in such a tempting environment and the pressure was on for you to dance (I don't think I have ever danced sober- not in public anyway! so the Dutch courage would have probably got the better of me there) and you still resisted!! That's brilliant and really inspiring. I am quite new myself - it has been 2 weeks for me. I went to my second AA meeting today - it was really helpful. I got some great tips too - if the pressure is on to drink just say 'I don't think I will drink today' - you don't need to say why, just you don't fancy it TODAY. It's simple and to the point - I am going to use it next time I am offered a drink. You can do it!
Old 01-24-2015, 10:24 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

It sounds like you have a very hard choice to make. How much do you want sobriety? It's there for you and thousands have gone through what you're going through right now. The hard choice (and I know how very hard that can be) is deciding what has to be done to change your life. Right now you're under enormous pressure because you want to continue the luncheons, the meetings with friends who can drink, can "have a little wine", and who will probably ask you why you can't do the same. It's only three weeks for you now (and CONGRATULATIONS ON THAT!) and you're still at a crucial stage of recovery. Unless you're very careful there could be real trouble and a lot of heart ache ahead. Don't give up what you have so bravely won! Make every effort to distance yourself from these festivities. Do what alcoholics are so good at doing- call in "sick" if necessary. But don't do what alcoholics also do- that is DON'T DRINK! Hang in there. All the best!

W.
Old 01-25-2015, 12:03 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by messyliver View Post
I went out for dinner with people from my dance class then onto the bar where we have classes. (They have a dance night every Friday where people of all levels get together to practice.) I was on the verge of ordering a beer all night but managed to stick to the diet coke. I couldn't pluck up the courage to dance sober and was actually queueing at the bar to order a gin and tonic before i put my coat on and walked out just in time. I've made it home sober thank god but i came so close. It's amazing how quickly we become tempted. I'm very worried for tomorrow as i have 2 dinner parties to attend (lunch time is actually being held in my flat by my flatmate so i can't get out of that) but i'm thinking of skipping the nighttime one to avoid temptation. My flat mate has told me that she has bought "lots of good wine" and i'm terrified that i'm going to cave. I've bought myself lots of fruit juices to try to help me resist.

It's day 19 for me and i have noticed that a lot of people seem to struggle around the day 20 odd mark. It's happened to me before where i do so well that i convince myself that i could just have a couple of wines and be 'sensible' but i know that it's just not a possibility for me. Why is this so difficult at times? x
Well done for what you have already achieved ! You are awesome to walk out when you knew it was getting too much!

You are right about the 20 Mark too! For me it was tricky up to 30! But not as tricky as day 14, but then everyone is different, without coming back here and going to AA, I think I would have found it even harder.

Just remember, you are doing this for you! And you do not want to go back there! If you need to talk, keep posting here! Keep going!
Old 01-25-2015, 01:47 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  
The Long and Winding Road....

Hey it takes a while you know :-)

Be kind to yourself

V