Notices

Totally Lost

Old 01-23-2015, 03:55 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Totally Lost

Hi,

I have recently taken the decision to go sober and it has now been 2 weeks since my last drink. I'm not even sure I am in the right place because I wouldn't say I crave alcohol, but whenever I drink I find it impossible to control. Always end up losing large chunks of the night and often do things which could have a huge impact on my life or hurt those I love. This results in a lot of fear, guilt, shame and a massive downer which lasts for the best part of a week.

Going sober has coincided with the break up of a relationship and since my friends' social lives all revolve around drink I currently feel very lonely. I don't want to fall back into binge drinking on the weekends because I know it does me a great deal of harm and having given up drink for a couple months at a time a few times over the past few years, I know I feel so much more confident and happy without it.

This time though I feel like without it I have no social life and finding another relationship will be that much harder.
Old 01-23-2015, 04:01 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome and good for you for recognizing that alcohol is having a negative impact on your life. Congratulations on 2 weeks sober.

I think most of us have to make some big changes in our lives in recovery. Maybe this is the time to try something new - volunteer work, sports, a hobby - something that will enable you to meet new (sober) people.
Old 01-23-2015, 04:07 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by say9 View Post
whenever I drink I find it impossible to control. Always end up losing large chunks of the night and often do things which could have a huge impact on my life or hurt those I love. This results in a lot of fear, guilt, shame and a massive downer which lasts for the best part of a week.
Which is more important, cutting out the above consequences of drinking, or maintaining that social life that causes the above consequences?!!

There are many people in the world that don't drink, to us though we think everyone drinks because we drink, but those people still have happy lives and have relationships, we sometimes give alcohol to much importance and place it at the centre of our lives, despite what misery it causes us, but alcohol is not the centre of the universe!!

Welcome to the Forum!! Great to have you onboard!!
Old 01-23-2015, 04:10 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks Anna. That is what I've spent a lot of my time these past couple of weeks doing, trying to find something to replace drinking. Just seems to be a big barrier thrown up when it comes to choosing something and taking the plunge to try it.

It has crept into my mind that I'm maybe being a bit too dramatic in giving up altogether, but then I worry that if I continue on the road I was on I could only be one binge away from really doing some damage to my life.
Old 01-23-2015, 04:13 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

And thank you Purpleknight! Very wise words.
Old 01-23-2015, 04:20 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Sober Soldier

Hi say9,

Welcome and well done on two weeks sober!

You've come to a good place

More power to you!
Old 01-23-2015, 04:20 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Do your best

Welcome Say9 nice to meet you

I volenteered in early sobriety at my local hospital i done 2 services at AA

There will be hard days but they will fade with sober time and you can live your free without the need for alcohol & the chaos that it brings

Awesome job on 2 weeks sober
Old 01-23-2015, 04:28 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Many thanks folks. I've thought about volunteering too. Might give that a go!
Old 01-23-2015, 05:28 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Do your best

Thats a great idea Say9
Old 01-23-2015, 06:07 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to SR say

D