Notices

Feeling overwhelmed and fed up :-(

Old 01-23-2015, 03:38 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

I struggled with the "Friday Night" issue for awhile. I jumped in to the Weekend Thread and found that really helpful as I didn't really know what to do with myself. My home was my safety zone and I didn't leave it often. For me, I'm still a homebody but that is ok with me. For me now (I have two years and two months) Friday night means relaxing and maybe going out to dinner. I don't miss going out any more and I don't think about or get mad/jealous of the fact that I can't/don't drink. For me now, I wouldn't trade waking up Saturday and Sunday with the full days ahead of me sober for anything in the world....it is the BEST feeling for me....I still have a big smile when I wake up on the weekend mornings because I know how many people are waking up feeling like whale poop.

I know it is tough right now for you but getting through this will really make you stronger. The suck will get less And I am a Friday night coffee drinker too
Old 01-23-2015, 03:40 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Lancashire View Post
Playstation 4 ???
Haha she has an xbox...she beats my ass in everything tho and she's only 11!! X
Old 01-23-2015, 03:44 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by soberclover View Post
I struggled with the "Friday Night" issue for awhile. I jumped in to the Weekend Thread and found that really helpful as I didn't really know what to do with myself. My home was my safety zone and I didn't leave it often. For me, I'm still a homebody but that is ok with me. For me now (I have two years and two months) Friday night means relaxing and maybe going out to dinner. I don't miss going out any more and I don't think about or get mad/jealous of the fact that I can't/don't drink. For me now, I wouldn't trade waking up Saturday and Sunday with the full days ahead of me sober for anything in the world....it is the BEST feeling for me....I still have a big smile when I wake up on the weekend mornings because I know how many people are waking up feeling like whale poop.

I know it is tough right now for you but getting through this will really make you stronger. The suck will get less And I am a Friday night coffee drinker too
Silly thing is it's psychological because I never really went out anyway so shouldn't be different to any other night...they were all drinking at home but Friday just always seemed the most relaxing and fun knowing I wouldn't have the awful getting up for work the next day. Already planning on the gym and swimming with my daughter though. I do love the feeling of waking up in the morning not feeling half dead. Xx
Old 01-23-2015, 03:45 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

well done on a month great effort. nurture that month protect it and do what it takes to keep it,
Old 01-23-2015, 03:46 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

For me it helped when I reminded myself that drink was not a reward for me.
In anyway shape or form.

There were few times I would just have one drink.
My drinking led to not nice things happening to me - like blackouts, anxiety, bad choices and hangovers.

Why would I want to reward myself or treat myself to any of that.

I am totally with you on the single mum thing.
I have a 5 year old.
I have not been out on my own with friends at all in 2015 so far!
Thats how little I get time for me.
My life is full time work and my child.
I often take myself off to bed because I'm lonely or had enough of my own company.

However nowadays when I get that thought of 'its friday, everyone drinks on a friday night' - I replace it with something else. Like buying a special tea and shopping for nice food. Or getting a DVD as a treat. Anything but booze.

I also try to stop the resentment of me not drinking by reminding myself I chose to not drink. No-one has forced me to stop. If I really want to I can drink whenever I want. Its me deciding not to.
That usually stops the anger or feelings of missing out.

I wish you the best xx
Old 01-23-2015, 03:57 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by savarna View Post
well done on a month great effort. nurture that month protect it and do what it takes to keep it,
Oh thankyou but not that far through yet...2 weeks tomorrow xx
Old 01-23-2015, 04:00 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Sasha4 View Post
For me it helped when I reminded myself that drink was not a reward for me.
In anyway shape or form.

There were few times I would just have one drink.
My drinking led to not nice things happening to me - like blackouts, anxiety, bad choices and hangovers.

Why would I want to reward myself or treat myself to any of that.

I am totally with you on the single mum thing.
I have a 5 year old.
I have not been out on my own with friends at all in 2015 so far!
Thats how little I get time for me.
My life is full time work and my child.
I often take myself off to bed because I'm lonely or had enough of my own company.

However nowadays when I get that thought of 'its friday, everyone drinks on a friday night' - I replace it with something else. Like buying a special tea and shopping for nice food. Or getting a DVD as a treat. Anything but booze.

I also try to stop the resentment of me not drinking by reminding myself I chose to not drink. No-one has forced me to stop. If I really want to I can drink whenever I want. Its me deciding not to.
That usually stops the anger or feelings of missing out.

I wish you the best xx
I think that's really important and thankyou for reminding me...I AM the one who's made this choice and I'm doing it for me!! Xx
Old 01-23-2015, 04:02 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  
Recoverist

Originally Posted by Lancashire View Post
JadedGirl, your doing great, your right on track.

My advice to you, is to do something on a Friday Night thats special. Own it again.

Drinking takes away our choices, you cant drive anywhere, people dont want to be around you.

I have joined a gym and as well as making new and valued friends on here, I am also meeting new friends at the gym. One of the things I used to drink alone for, was I didnt have many friends, seems ironic really.

Make a list of what you want to do on a Friday. Iceskating to going on speed dating. Swimming to learning a martial art. Now your not drinking, you have real choices, get out there girl start living.
VERY VERY VERY well said!
Old 01-23-2015, 04:13 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by JadedGirl View Post
I think that's really important and thankyou for reminding me...I AM the one who's made this choice and I'm doing it for me!! Xx
And you are doing great!!!
Old 01-23-2015, 04:15 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Agree with Della--you are doing wonderfully.Brava!!
Old 01-23-2015, 04:22 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

That thinking of 'I can drink whenever I want, but just not today' really got me through those early days and weeks.

I used to say to myself that if I still wanted a drink tomorrow, I could have one. But I was not going to drink that day. I was not going to end my run of sober days that easily. 99.9% of days, I never wanted to drink the next day.

Its got me nearly 3 years.
However its not a conscious thing I do now.
Now I'm just used to not drinking.