Notices

Turning into hypochondriac

Old 01-22-2015, 12:47 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Turning into hypochondriac

Whenever I take a step to stop drinking, I pull back because I start focusing on my body way too much. I don't plan to let it get me this time around, but can not stand it. Focusing on every little pain I get and thinking it is worst possible case scenario. Any suggestions or thoughts? When I drink, and even for the first couple days after, I don't notice anything wrong with me. I don't know if its in my head. A way for the addiction to persevere or what, but would love some input.
Old 01-22-2015, 12:55 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Obsessing about health is a bit of an issue for me too. However I think it can be a real trap! I have been pretty anxious about what alcohol might be doing to me. It can after all kill you! How weird is it therefore to drink to make those sorts of anxieties go away! It is a bit like poisoning oneself in order to cure the poison! It isn't a solution with any long term prospect of success! Better to find other ways of relieving anxiety. There seem to be lots of relaxation and mindfulness type exercises out there. I am about to begin counselling, for example, and one of the methods the people I am going to use is 'mindfulness'.

Be Mindful
Old 01-22-2015, 01:01 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

If you worry about your health when sober--which you know is the healthy alternative--but don't think about it when engaging in an activity you know is unhealthy--drinking--then yes, I would say you could point to your addiction as playing a role in this type of thinking.

There is a lot of anxiety inherent in early recovery. I think if you can accumulate some sober time you will see this anxiety and worry about your health lessen.
Old 01-22-2015, 01:06 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I've been worrying about my health a lot too. About all the damage I have done to my body through years of abuse from alcohol and tobacco and drugs. Not to mention eating badly on hangover days. But I'm seeing it as a sign that I'm learning to practice self care and love. I should be in tune with my body so I can care for myself. I can't do that when I'm drinking.
Old 01-22-2015, 01:09 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Do your best

Have you considered CBT to help with this ?
Old 01-22-2015, 01:15 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I have heard of CBT working for these kinds of things but I'm getting a gym membership tonight. I used to run, and plan on starting back up. I'm hoping that will help a lot. I almost think its a way for me to punish myself. Like I don't deserve to be here, so KARMA will come back on me and give some crazy illness as punishment. Weird thinking, but its true.
Old 01-22-2015, 02:38 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I posted on your other thread too!!

How about going to a Dr and getting the real reasons for those aches and pains with a run down of how much damage alcohol has caused, speculation and Dr Google does more harm than good.

The reality is we can't let any excuse for drinking prolong our drinking if it's causing problems in our lives, a few aches and pains is nothing compared to the more serious health issues alcohol can cause, so it's a lesser of 2 evils scenario if you like!!

In my experience my health improved through Sobriety, no question about it and I went to a Dr for regular check ups and that was confirmed with more tests, again reassurance on the facts rather than speculation.
Old 01-22-2015, 03:00 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

yesss!!!!!! im a worry wart when it comes to my health too. i worry I've got cancer or liver damage kidney damage etc its tiring
Old 01-22-2015, 05:34 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

When I first got sober I felt the same way. Less and less as time goes on. Been sober 17 months and it's better than it was when I first got sober. Just have to think rationally. I always try to!
Old 01-22-2015, 06:36 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I can relate. One of the things I do is concentrate on the fact that if I don't drink, no more damage will occur. Drinking is only going to make things worse.
Old 01-22-2015, 07:09 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I feel you on this one, I constantly worry about what I have done to my body. Then to make matters worse if I am shaky or have a case of the cold sweats I feel like everyone is watching and judging me.
Old 01-22-2015, 07:25 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Its nice to know I'm not the only one. I've been dealing with this for over five years. I'm pretty positive its in my head. In that time I had two children via c section with great pre natal care. So I'm fairly confident it psychological. But, I'm glad to see some of you get better as sobriety time increased. We will see!
Old 01-23-2015, 06:00 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
levonhelmrules

I convinced myself that I had all sorts of ailments....liver disease, cancer, brain tumor, you name it. At the time, it seemed both illogical and logical. Sort of an impending sense of doom.

At the moment it's been mild to non existent. Go see a doctor. It will ease your mind.
Old 01-23-2015, 06:40 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
waking down

Techniques to reduce anxiety is likely the key here. Mindfulness practices help me a lot.

There's a flip side to this. I spent years drinking and thinking I was just fine. When I got sober I decided to finally go to the doctor to catch up on things I should have addressed years ago and learned things are not fine.

I'm not saying this to increase your stress, but to emphasize the only way you'll know is if you go to a doctor. Get the blood work. Have a physical exam. Tell the doc your concerns.

Chances are the doctor's visit will help you reduce your anxiety because you'll have more information. If you get unwanted information, at least you'll be in a position to do something about it.
Old 01-23-2015, 09:03 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

You see this a lot in early sobriety. Go, get checked out and put your mind at ease.