Notices

Trying Again

Old 01-22-2015, 11:31 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Trying Again

I just wanted to say hello to everyone on this forum. You have certainly helped eased some of my anxieties as I try to become sober.

A little background information. I have been heavily drinking since I turned 21 (now 28) and could easily access the stuff. I was drinking heavily and for a period of time, not sleeping well, not eating right, and it caused a seizure at work.

It was at that point I was given two options 1. go to rehab 2. leave my job.

So I chose #1, and for the first time in my life I was free. They took my license because of the seizure but I just made due with biking everywhere. I actually looked forward to it.

Couple months down the road, and I let myself go down the slippery slide of just one drink. I ended up just binge drinking and not going to work. I lost my job and moved back with my parents for support.

They were more than accommodating, going on long walks with me. Helping me when I got super anxious. I gained tons of weight as I ate everything in sight but at least I was healthy. I got an awesome job and was doing well until I decided to play the game of roulette again.

So here I am going down the dark path of alcoholism, I am so anxious all the time, I cant sleep at night unless I drink, and I am constantly worried that I am going to have another seizure.

Help!
Old 01-22-2015, 12:13 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Do your best

Welcome Secondchance nice to meet you

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-recovery.html
Old 01-22-2015, 12:18 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR, secondchance.

Do you have any face to face support - counseling, AA?
Old 01-22-2015, 12:19 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

We are close in age. I am 27 and my problem didn't really escalate till I was about 22. The fact that you are here is great. I really recommend reading widely on this forum. Don't just rely on current threads, search to your heart's galore! That's what I have done since joining and there is some amazing things to learn.
Old 01-22-2015, 01:11 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone for the warm welcome.

Having done it before I know it's a long road. I need to remember how terrible it feels so I never have to feel this way again.

The anxiety and insomnia are the worst, and the headache and cloudy feeling make each day difficult.

I don't have any face to face support, I could talk to my parents about my problem but I just feel so bad about letting them down.

I either need to kill this madness or its going to end up killing me!
Old 01-22-2015, 01:41 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hey Secondchance..! Welcome to SR , these folks here are lifesavers, literally in many cases...And they help preserve some form of sanity as well when needed...
Old 01-22-2015, 01:55 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome! You'll find tons of support, encouragement and great advice here! Glad you found us.
Old 01-22-2015, 02:14 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Sober Soldier

Hi Secondchance,

You remind me of myself to some degree.

We are the exact same age, and I too have ended up back with my parents after going down the wrong path in the first half of my 20s. And like yours, my parents are very supportive of me.

I'm glad you're here, because we are going to help you figure this out.

More power to you!
Old 01-22-2015, 02:18 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Welcome.
Old 01-22-2015, 02:44 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum Secondchance!!
Old 01-22-2015, 02:48 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

You'll find lots of support here.
Old 01-22-2015, 02:52 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Welcome!

I think killing the madness is the right choice. Make the jump, you can do this.
Old 01-22-2015, 07:25 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

So I laid down and had a nap this evening. Woke up with my heart racing and a huge amount of anxiety.

I have the craving to get into the bottle to help me calm down and sleep tonight.

I feel like it would be better for me to have a restless nights sleep tomorrow and Saturday then start today.

Thoughts?
Old 01-22-2015, 07:35 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Take a warm bath; read a book; watch TV; do laundry; clean a bathroom - just don't drink.

Why don't you call your doctor tomorrow morning to discuss your anxiety and your drinking?
Old 01-22-2015, 07:39 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
not a greeter

Hi & welcome .
Old 01-22-2015, 07:47 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Thanks SoberLeigh, I am making myself some calming tea and and just going to ride it out.

The sooner the better right?

I will keep you all informed, I am so glad to be a part of this place.
Old 01-22-2015, 09:11 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Welcome!

Everyone's experience is different, but I thought I'd share mine with anxiety. I definitely drank (and have for years) to keep anxiety at bay. What I didn't realize until I became sober was that the drinking was causing anxiety too. A vicious cycle: I was anxious and drank, which made me anxious, which made me drink more...you get the ugly picture.

The first month in particular was tough, I won't lie. I went to bed early--a lot. But once I got through that, the cloud of anxiety that had been shadowing me most of my adult life lifted. I still have some bad days, but nothing like before. And sleep! Sober sleep is the best.

So stick with it: it does get better!

PS: One thing that I'd do sometimes is listen to relaxation tapes or podcasts. Even if I couldn't sleep it would help settle my mind.
Old 01-22-2015, 09:42 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Thanks matilda123,

I know that viscous cycle of anxiety and drinking all to well...

Sober sleep is indeed the best sleep, and even when you aren't feeling 100% the next day you don't have to constantly question if your still drunk etc.

It is truly getting past this initial hurdle to be successful. It is crazy how we let ourselves ever get back to square one. Why would you ever want to go back to anxiety, insomnia, and withdrawals?
Old 01-22-2015, 09:47 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Secondhance View Post
. It is crazy how we let ourselves ever get back to square one. Why would you ever want to go back to anxiety, insomnia, and withdrawals?
I've thought about that question too. For a long time before I became sober I would think to myself after an especially horrible night, "that's it; no more." But then, sometimes in a day or two, sometimes in a few hours, I'd be back to drinking. Part of that is the "forgetting" part of this battle, I suppose. A few months ago when I really committed to sobriety I made a list reminding me of all the reasons I wanted to quit drinking. Most of them have to do with all the negative effects of alcohol on my life. The cool part is 4+ months in, I'm adding to that list, and most of the reasons to stay sober are all the positive things that are happening.

You are doing great, Secondhance
Old 01-23-2015, 12:01 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by matilda123 View Post
Welcome!

Everyone's experience is different, but I thought I'd share mine with anxiety. I definitely drank (and have for years) to keep anxiety at bay. What I didn't realize until I became sober was that the drinking was causing anxiety too. A vicious cycle: I was anxious and drank, which made me anxious, which made me drink more...you get the ugly picture.

The first month in particular was tough, I won't lie. I went to bed early--a lot. But once I got through that, the cloud of anxiety that had been shadowing me most of my adult life lifted. I still have some bad days, but nothing like before. And sleep! Sober sleep is the best.

So stick with it: it does get better!

PS: One thing that I'd do sometimes is listen to relaxation tapes or podcasts. Even if I couldn't sleep it would help settle my mind.
Oh my gosh, YES Matilda! I drank to address anxiety and it went round and round.