Notices

Hi, i have a drinking problem.

Old 01-22-2015, 06:53 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hi, i have a drinking problem.

Was doing great... Hadn't drank more then a couple beers since dec 17th. Then last night I had an IPA, then two, then three, then 4, then got two six packs to go. Finished one at home. Stayed up till 4am... Posting videos to Facebook and messaging people with things I shouldnt message people with. Bought cigs and smoked em for the first time since December. Just bad decisions all around. Fun while I was doing it but just stupid stupid stupid. I need to stop, and I need to remember this feeling a week from now when I say to myself, one beer is ok.

Woke up late for work... Just feel like **** physically and mentally
Old 01-22-2015, 06:57 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Do your best

Print off this thread esp your post bud

For me it starts with acceptance stick around try & relate read other threads interact etc

hang in there bud
Old 01-22-2015, 07:01 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Trudgin

Welcome back....
Don't feel like the Lone Ranger

Keep coming back, review what triggered you to get started and think of ways to change the behavior.

Glad you're here....
Old 01-22-2015, 07:12 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I sympathize completely! I drank A LOT on Tuesday night (again) :-( and spent the entire day yesterday hungover and feeling like total crap! I felt so hopeless and desperate. So many people gave me encouraging messages on here and said they believed in me and it helped.

I changed my recovery plan and re-committed. All we can do is start over. Just hang in there. We can do this. You can do it!!!

"You haven't failed until you stop trying".

Xo
Old 01-22-2015, 07:18 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by scaredofchange View Post
Then last night I had an IPA, then two, then three, then 4, then got two six packs to go. Finished one at home. Stayed up till 4am...Woke up late for work... Just feel like **** physically and mentally
Sounds like the morning I decided, once and for all, to quit drinking. For good. After a night of uncontrolled drinking. The one check box in the Alcoholism self tests I hadn't checked off, meaning I was okay to drink.

Until that last drunk. Truth revealed. In the grip of a horrendous hangover, I vowed to get sober.

And did. Haven't had a drop of alcohol since Sept 4, 2010.

Good luck.
Old 01-22-2015, 07:23 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I can strongly relate. When we start drinking again, it progresses rapidly. I started drinking again thinking I could moderate after several weeks of sober time. I was a craft beer person too. It was first a beer, then 2 beers, and then 4 beers. After several nights of doing this, I realized I couldn't pick up again and had been deluding myself that I could moderate. Some days I think I was lucky I caught myself. It sounds like you're going through the same thing, but the good thing is this experience can solidify your sobriety.
Old 01-22-2015, 07:26 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone!!! Your support means a lot 😊
Old 01-22-2015, 07:33 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Ah, the delusions of moderation!!! We have all had them.

True recovery can only happen when we finally reach that moment when we, once and for all - never to go back, realize and accept that we cannot moderate. It is a lifesaving moment.

When we slip or relapse, there is really only one good and viable option; recommit to sobriety; examine what went wrong; put a plan into place that will help us avoid the situation or mindset that brought us to the slip; shore up the holes in our plan and MOVE FORWARD.

You can do this, scaredof. There is no doubt.
Old 01-22-2015, 07:49 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thank you!!!
Old 01-22-2015, 08:09 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

sounds like youre back in charge!
Old 01-22-2015, 09:58 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Ugh I feeeeel like crap! Can barely work. Day going by so slow!
Old 01-22-2015, 11:07 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Refer back to this thread in a weeks time!!

In the meantime go at things again and tweak your plan!!
Old 01-22-2015, 12:59 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by scaredofchange View Post
Was doing great... Hadn't drank more then a couple beers since dec 17th. Then last night I had an IPA, then two, then three, then 4, then got two six packs to go. Finished one at home. Stayed up till 4am... Posting videos to Facebook and messaging people with things I shouldnt message people with. Bought cigs and smoked em for the first time since December. Just bad decisions all around. Fun while I was doing it but just stupid stupid stupid. I need to stop, and I need to remember this feeling a week from now when I say to myself, one beer is ok. Woke up late for work... Just feel like **** physically and mentally
can I ever relate. That was me. Turns out I am over even the one beer. One leads to two leads to the 6 pack to go.... Only I always made it to work on time so that kept me from realizing I had a problem. I miss IPAs some times but found a decent NA that does the trick what I don't get in flavor I get from the satisfaction that I am still not drinking alcohol. Try the moderation and see where it goes good luck!
Old 01-22-2015, 01:09 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Don't think of it as failure, think of it as learning experience. You are human and as humans we make mistakes. That's how we grow and learn. But it does matter how you handle that mistake. I was sober for almost a year a couple years back. On my anniversary to my husband I had two glasses of wine. Just two..... but that two glasses made me feel like a failure and in turn led to another long binge. In part that is why I do not agree with AA. Just because you slip doesn't mean that the month sober accounted for nothing. You are a work in progress. WE all are and will be in everything that we do for the rest of our lives. Keep going.
Old 01-22-2015, 01:11 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Thank you!!
Old 01-22-2015, 01:32 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Being into craft beers and wanting to quit sucks it's such a culture I enjoyed trying all the different beers... BUT what I was Doing to myself and my family with my drinking was far worse.
Old 01-22-2015, 02:24 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Sober Soldier

Originally Posted by SoberLeigh View Post
When we slip or relapse, there is really only one good and viable option; recommit to sobriety; examine what went wrong; put a plan into place that will help us avoid the situation or mindset that brought us to the slip; shore up the holes in our plan and MOVE FORWARD.
Well said!

You got this scaredofchange!
Old 03-09-2015, 07:52 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Re-reading this post as a reminder of the feeling that I felt at that time as well once again felt yesterday/today. ugh
Old 03-09-2015, 10:25 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Do your best

You can do this scared can you get to a mtn
Old 03-09-2015, 10:30 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Sober Soldier

Hey scaredofchange,

I'm sorry that it sounds like things are not going the way you want them to.

What have you been up to?