Notices

How can I achieve humility?

Old 01-22-2015, 09:33 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
waking down

A couple of other thoughts: Humility is having a moderate opinion of one's own importance. Pride is the opposite. Patience is not especially central to the issue here.

As we explore where we tend to rest on the continuum between humility and pride and why, it is important not to beat ourselves up about it. We must have compassion for ourselves as wel as others. One need not experience abject failure to be humble, and it serves us little to ruminate excessively about our shortcomings. We are what we are.

We are all important to ourselves. We have to live with ourselves. But nothing in my life was more humbling than the process of realizing I'm an addict. My current physical ailments have added to the realization that I have to be very gentle with myself, physically and emotionally.

In the grand scheme of things, few of us are any more important than our dogs.
Old 01-22-2015, 10:01 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Thanks for allaying my fears, I'l bet the steps are humbling in themselves, which is a good thing.

I actually am humble by nature, just not when I'm drinking or sometimes online for some reason, and when feeling uncertain also…

Originally Posted by Tally809 View Post
For what it's worth- I've noticed I struggle with humility when I'm feeling insecure or not completely confident in myself. Almost as though I need to prove to everyone (mostly myself) that I'm really ok or worthwhile?
I think I know what you mean. Like, after being clinically depressed for several years but just about keeping it together I knew that people were feeling sorry for me…

Well once that started to lift I really went out of my way on social media to not make people feel sorry for me. 'living vicariously through the internet' basically. It worked anyway! As now they all hate me LOL.

It's not even funny as I went too far with that, became obsessed in fact. Was drinking heavy also. I was feeling pretty bad, and went out of my way to portray to everyone that I was having a great time, lord of the universe in fact. Not my brightest idea ever, and I just explained the logic behind it: with a bit of self destruction thrown in for good measure. I seem to have acquired a habit of being slightly boastful since that which I'm trying to shake still - I was never like that.

Its weird...
Old 01-25-2015, 12:27 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Thanks for all your replies. After I put up this post, I ended up going to a disco for people with learning difficulties. Many of them also had physical disabilities and were using wheelchairs and so on as well. It was a joyous occasion to see them really enjoying the music and not letting their physical limitations prevent them from enjoying it. I joined in and I didn't think I was better than anyone there. I could see that they had something that was really worth celebrating. I think that was a step towards humility.
Old 01-25-2015, 01:27 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Sounds like an enjoyable time!!