Notices

Having a Tough Time With PAWS

Old 01-21-2015, 05:18 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Having a Tough Time With PAWS

Been having issues with memory, loss of concentration/focus, unable to solve simple problems at work, easily stressed.. all sounds like PAWS but I'm really having a hard time with it lately.
I'm almost 5 months sober now and haven't touched a single drop during that time.
I'm really struggling lately at work to just keep focus to the point I'm wondering if I can even keep this job. Management hasn't noticed but I'm wondering when that point will be.
When will this PAWS end? It's really putting a toll on me and although I'm glad I've come this far, It seems like this is getting worse and worse. It really hit me about two months ago but it almost feels like it's climaxed now.
Anyone going through or did go through similar things at this stage?
Old 01-21-2015, 05:40 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I feel the same way , but I am only a little over 2 months...I am interested to see what others have to say , because even though it's early on for me , it's driving me nutz as I am sure it is you...
Old 01-21-2015, 05:43 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Well I'm not as far as you, but wanted to say grats on 5 months! Sorry I can't help with PAWS (yet).
Old 01-21-2015, 05:53 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I found 4/5 months to be the roughest patch. I just felt dull dull dull, like I would never regain interest in anything. I have noticed a lot of others posting about a similar stretch during that period.

For me the toughest times weren't when I felt the newness and rawness of sobriety, but rather when I felt the monotony of trudging along. I wasn't used to sitting with that type of bleakness without tweaking it with alcohol or drugs. I just could not imagine that feeling ending.

But it did, and what happened was that those periods still arose but it seems they decreased in duration and intensity. I stayed on here a lot and really focused on others who told me it would get better and it did.

I had a huge problem with motivation. But, I was determined not to go backwards. I was intent on only going through this process once. My body and mind was putting itself back together, and although I couldn't see those mechanisms at work, the small little benefits started to peek through the dullness. I was so used to progress being fleeting because it was always followed up by a further descent into alcoholism and depression. It was fascinating to gain clarity slowly and honestly.

There is something very precious about sobriety when you have stayed the course. The internal battle was mine alone, and because of that I am protective about all I have gained. I didn't realize it at the time, because I felt that I was simply slogging through, but I was relearning everything.

Patience with myself and the process has been so important. Hang in there, it gets better I promise you. And when you start to see glimpses of what lays ahead you will be so grateful that you didn't fall back into the same old same old. There is a great saying…

"don't do something, just sit there".
Old 01-21-2015, 06:00 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

It does get better HellJuice. The recovery process is different for all of us; hopefully this moment for you will end soon. It may feel in the moment that things are getting worse and worse but the reality is that every day you are sober, the better you get on the inside and the outside! I discovered that sobriety for me was so much more than just not drinking. For me, I had to address some physical issues as well as issues with depression and anxiety. Have you seen your doctor? Maybe this might help. Staying connected to SR is great so you won't feel like you are going through this alone.
Old 01-21-2015, 06:07 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Very well written Jaynie..thank you...That was a great read!
Old 01-21-2015, 06:30 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Jaynie.. dull, dull, dull.. that is 100% how I feel right now.
I feel like even drinking right ow wouldn't fix this feeling, which I guess in some ways is a good thing!
I hope I can get through this. I could go to a doctor and maybe he'd prescribe me some meds or whatever, but I rather not go that route. One drug for another isn't the way I want to handle this. Thanks everyone for their input. Feeling better already.
Old 01-21-2015, 12:48 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Not sure if anyones seen this but this is a great link - especially the part on things you can do to minimise the effects of PAWs...

PAWS | Digital Dharma
Old 01-21-2015, 01:04 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hi Helljuice, great post and question. I often wonder about the PAWS symptoms and how long they will last for me and when I can expect them to get better.

I am only 75 days sober at this point, but my PAWS symptoms have been strong, especially from days 20 - 70. I am just starting to get a few days where I feel happy and positive. There are also tough days when the anxiety is strong and feels much more like it did when the PAWS is kicking in. but having a few days of relief is such a relief that things will get better. I try to rejoice in the days that are positive and remember it will not last forever on the bad days.

PAWS is different for everyone, and the symptoms can last for a year or more. For me, I think the PAWS symptoms are closely tied to my brain repairing itself and the chemistry getting back to a natural balance. The amount of time you drank, how much you drank, your brains ability to repair itself, diet, exercise, general health, vitamins all go into determining how long PAWS will last. There are so many variables that go into the repair of your brain.

The dullness should slowly lift over time, very gradually. Much like a sunrise. It starts to get lighter in the east well before the sun comes up. Be patient.

The only sure thing I can tell you is that drinking again will only make you have to go through this again.

best of luck and thank you for starting this thead
Old 01-21-2015, 02:14 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Helljuice, PAWS sux...it really affects some of us more than others....
I thought it would never end and it just felt like I had done some serious permanent damage and wondered if I would ever feel better.
The good news is that it does, unfortunately a little slow in my case.
The strength and the length of the Paws symptoms reduced over time. My Paws symptoms seem to have gone at 14 months sober...
We spent a lot of time messing up our brain and bodies it is going to a take a little time to sort it all out.
I developed a bit of a sugar addiction in the early months of sobriety, that didn't help.
For me reducing almost all sugar apart from fruit and exercise made me feel a lot better over all.
Old 01-21-2015, 02:25 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by jaynie04 View Post
I found 4/5 months to be the roughest patch. I just felt dull dull dull, like I would never regain interest in anything. I have noticed a lot of others posting about a similar stretch during that period.

For me the toughest times weren't when I felt the newness and rawness of sobriety, but rather when I felt the monotony of trudging along. I wasn't used to sitting with that type of bleakness without tweaking it with alcohol or drugs. I just could not imagine that feeling ending.

But it did, and what happened was that those periods still arose but it seems they decreased in duration and intensity. I stayed on here a lot and really focused on others who told me it would get better and it did.

I had a huge problem with motivation. But, I was determined not to go backwards. I was intent on only going through this process once. My body and mind was putting itself back together, and although I couldn't see those mechanisms at work, the small little benefits started to peek through the dullness. I was so used to progress being fleeting because it was always followed up by a further descent into alcoholism and depression. It was fascinating to gain clarity slowly and honestly.

There is something very precious about sobriety when you have stayed the course. The internal battle was mine alone, and because of that I am protective about all I have gained. I didn't realize it at the time, because I felt that I was simply slogging through, but I was relearning everything.

Patience with myself and the process has been so important. Hang in there, it gets better I promise you. And when you start to see glimpses of what lays ahead you will be so grateful that you didn't fall back into the same old same old. There is a great saying…

"don't do something, just sit there".
^^^^ This; every word.

For me, things started to noticeably improve at the six month mark but the improvement was gradual, nonetheless.

Hang in; it gets much, much better.
Old 01-21-2015, 02:49 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by HellJuice View Post
I feel like even drinking right ow wouldn't fix this feeling, which I guess in some ways is a good thing!
I can relate so much to this since I am going through the same thing. Thank you for posting this topic. Also thank you to all the responders that have taken the time to answer. It's brought some comfort to know it will get better.
Old 01-21-2015, 03:35 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I really sympathise with you, PAWs is really tough. At about 6 months I felt like I was loosing the plot. I was tearful, forgetful, tired and my concentration was shot. I had another episode at 9 months but it didn't last as long. The only thing you can do is to treat yourself like you would if you were getting over a flu. Sleep when you can, eat really well and stay hydrated. Exercise helped to pick me up but realistically I couldn't do too much. It does pass so please hang in there. Can you take some time off work? Even a couple of days rest can make all the difference
Old 01-21-2015, 04:03 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Not sure if anyones seen this but this is a great link - especially the part on things you can do to minimise the effects of PAWs...

PAWS | Digital Dharma

Great article. Thanks Dee.
Old 01-21-2015, 05:49 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by HellJuice View Post
I hope I can get through this. I could go to a doctor and maybe he'd prescribe me some meds or whatever, but I rather not go that route. One drug for another isn't the way I want to handle this. Thanks everyone for their input. Feeling better already.
Thats exactly how I feel right now HellJuice. In fact I felt that way for a very long time. When I kept going back and forth with the idea of taking medications, a friend of mine in recovery told me to, "let go of control."

I can't control this depression thing about as much as I can control my alcoholism.

However, I also think that we know deep down what is best for us and to each our own personal experiences. Could never hurt to discuss some of your feelings with a doctor though, right?
Old 01-21-2015, 05:57 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
p***enger

I can sympathize. I had bad cycles with PAWS or depression or something off and on for the first year and they seemed to get worse not better. When it got to the point that PAWS or whatever was seriously compromising my ability to keep sight of my desire to stay sober, I saw a doctor.

A lot of people seem to get through it naturally in time. I think 5 months is not unusual to still have extended patches of fogginess and lack of motivation. I gave it a year before I opted to try medication. I wish I had done so earlier but that was my experience. I couldn't face more than a year without additional help, and I'm glad I got it.

Best wishes to you!
Old 01-21-2015, 07:08 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I'm in month 8 and I'm riding the wave of depression and anxiety but I'm working really hard to combat PAWS in healthy ways which also includes AA, meditation and therapy. By incorporating these things I am forced to see the small victories each day. I believe it's getting better though!
Old 01-21-2015, 07:13 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
~sb

Keep trudging along (putting one foot in front of the other with a purpose) and things will keep getting better.

We drink and don't think we change anything in our brains, but we do; we change everything!

Give time time and heal well. It's really worth it! YOU are worth it! Things WILL get much much better!!!!!!
Old 01-21-2015, 11:02 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I read every post on that paws digital dharma site, great article and great guy who takes time to respond (was still replying when I read it a couple years back). You'll see a post about feelin lousy from Ted (me) at the 6 month mark. I got better but improvement was so slow that it was hard to see it. I think there's still a little residual brain damblage from my "active" days but I am 1000 times better than that first year. You just gotta dig deep and get through it, don't make any big life decisions either like job stuff right now. Also, I went to my first AA meeting at 8 months sober, it was really nice to talk about my troubles and get some help from the program. You may have tried a recover group, if not, maybe check one out. Outside help can be big. Come to think of it, that's when I found SR! It's a tough time, no doubt. But, it's also what kinda showed me the importance of staying sober, I wanted to get past it and not go through it again. Good luck buddy!
-Ted
Old 01-22-2015, 01:10 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Yes, 3 - 6 months was my PAWS peak too. I was afraid that I had wet brain and wouldn't get better, but I was doing much better by 1 year. Managing my caffeine, taking vitamins & fish oil, giving myself rest, eating well all helped.

It will get better, but it may be hard to see on a day to day basis.