Notices

Now i fight the beast; day two of sobriety

Old 01-20-2015, 07:26 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Now i fight the beast; day two of sobriety

hi guys,

I am a long time drinker and occasional drug user. I have been drinking very heavy for the last three years and only now gathered the weaponry to challenge the beast. Until yesterday, i never thought about absolute recovery. A life without drink seemed impossible. How would i socialize, meet women, travel the world with a smile on my face. Now I realise the debilitating state I have degraded myself down to, to the detriment of my career, my ability to sleep, my ability to think clearly. At the moment i am in my local cafe in a small quiet town in the philipines. I have been travelling for three years and working sporadically. This small town I am in is full of expat retirees, all of whom drink heavily. I plan to make it through the first week here or thereabouts and then head off into the jungle for a few days of trekking. For now, I am trying to keep myself occupied but already today I have really bad shakes and am sweating profusely. That is my story for now. I will type more when this battle gives me the time to do so. It is difficult to type with these awful shakes. I hope this website will help me through this and some of you guys can give me some magic words that will help me persevere.
Old 01-20-2015, 07:31 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome, justoffthesauce, to SR, and congratulations on your decision to lead a sober life.

Would you be able to catch any AA meetings before heading off into the jungle? Face to face support could be beneficial.

Glad you found SR.
Old 01-20-2015, 07:34 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Do your best

Welcome JOTS nice to meet you

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-recovery.html
Old 01-20-2015, 07:36 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome justoffthesauce. If you are concerned about withdrawal don't hesitate to seek medical help. Detox can be problematic for some of us.

YOu;ll find a lot of support and good ideas here tho. I'm glad you found us
Old 01-20-2015, 07:39 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Hillbilly Girl

Glad you are here JOTS - I would advise you to seek medical help with detox...can be dangerous. Glad you are here with us...you will find much support & encouragement here!
Old 01-20-2015, 09:01 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi!

I backpacked around Asia for 2 years, working sometimes too, my alcoholism was really bad there, except one time I stayed sober for about 3 weeks in Thailand of all places.
I met so many alcoholic expats, drug addicts too :/
The good news is that travel is better off the drink, I was sober in Istanbul, Ireland (weird I know) and almost sober backpacking in Cuba ( a small slip) a couple weeks ago. I'll never be a drunk traveller again.
You can do it, good call going to the jungle to trek!!
Come back and let us know how it was!!!
Old 01-21-2015, 12:26 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Life is an unlikely miracle.

Welcome to the fourm .JOTS

Magic words...."I will not drink today" ! I know that sounds flippant and twee but it really is a powerful phrase.

I hope you stick around , there is tons of support here.
Old 01-21-2015, 03:00 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

"I don't drink and never will". http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...r-connections/. You may find this helpful. The mantra quoted comes from there. It helped me greatly. I especially recommend "AVRT explained". Best wishes on slaying the beast.
Old 01-21-2015, 10:40 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum!!
Old 01-21-2015, 10:41 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Welcome. You've come to a great place.