Notices

A successful first week of Sobriety

Old 01-19-2015, 10:39 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

A successful first week of Sobriety

7 happy days of torment. It feels good to have a week under my belt. I understand that this journey is long but you cant win a race if you dont show up at the starting line. I surprised myself over the weekend. I am actually a Bartender on the weekends (which I understand must change eventually to maintain a life of sobriety). This Friday when I worked was a rough one. An incident occurred where I was actually attacked and there was much stress involved and not once did I consider drinking. I felt very proud of myself. Saturday I felt lonely because I knew my core group of friends and my girlfriend who was out with friends were at a local bar. I didn't go out and wrote how I felt on a post how I felt and eventually my depression and anxiousness vanished!! Sunday was the test of tests!!! My sisters sweet sixteen with an open bar. I considered drinking early in the night. Contacted one of my good friends and he inspired me and gave me confidence to hold off. He told me dont you feel as if you dont drink tonight your passing a tough test with yourself. And I did!! I didnt have one drink, one sip, or gather one thought that wanted any part of booze. I must say this was a great step. I know days will be dark but every night is followed by day. So there is always a future sign of hope as long as I know caving in is giving up on myself. Maybe one day Ill rediscover the idea of alcohol and how to go about it. But right now my mindset is geared towards so many positive ideas I cant fit alcohol into my life. If I continue to focus on finding myself and truly focusing on whats important in life (job, health, family, relationships, personal hobbies) I will live a more full life thanks to the support of this group and some of the relationships I have made with some genuinely good people. Though one thing I am afraid of is I have a very good friend who might not understand my stage of life and finding sobriety. He is younger in his earlier twentys and I am in my later-mid twentys. I guess I will have to explain to him my situation but I just hope he can understand that this my choice its not something Im doing because someone told me or some altimatum I was given. But I guess I will cross that road in due time. Thanks again to all the people out there helping people like me with their questions and fears during the early stages of finding sobriety. Thankyou for the inspiration.
Old 01-19-2015, 10:53 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

You're doing great NS52088. You'll find lots of support here. Stay close.

DD
Old 01-20-2015, 12:03 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

hi NS.....great job on quitting and getting to this stage. I am 9 weeks in myself and I am quitting for the first time. You are right it is quite a journey.

One thing I wanted to say to you. In the early weeks we can be so full of determination and rah rah focus that not even considering to drink is possible. But the later weeks are when you kind of switch back to focusing on life and you have good days and bad days. It is then that you need to make sure that you don't put yourself in temptation's way so that you don't topple on a bad day. It is never too soon to start to build those defences. In your case I would say that switching job is not a "some day" issue that needs to be addressed but a full blown priority one right now.
Old 01-20-2015, 01:11 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Do your best

Welcome NS5 its nice to meet you

Congrats on your week
Old 01-20-2015, 03:06 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Sober Soldier

He NS and well done on one week!

You've come to a good place

More power to you!
Old 01-20-2015, 11:44 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

welcome NS5, congrats on a week, do you have a game plan going forward?
Old 01-20-2015, 02:28 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

my gameplan is to stay focused on working out. fixxing up my new place. and knocking off as many things on my to do list that i have written down.
Old 01-20-2015, 03:04 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

1 Week is fantastic!! Keep it going!!