Notices

Do you carry a keepsake?

Old 01-18-2015, 06:45 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Do you carry a keepsake?

Day 16 for me!

My stuffed bunny has been with me through this, so far. She's a cute little thing with moveable arms and legs and soft ears that are as long as she is.

I found her in a thrift store. She looked at me just peeking out of a huge pile of discarded toys, cross-eyed and dirty and seemed so helpless. Once loved, and used for comfort, but dumped because someone got bored with, or outgrew her. I felt the same so many, many times. So then and there, I decided she should have a second chance, and realised, when I can have such compassion for a stuffed animal, ffs, why not for myself? So I did.

I didn't stop drinking right away though. At first, the idea of a life anew had to grow on me, but I thought about it every time I saw Longear (the name was written on her tag in kids handwriting, aaaw).

Now, I carry her with me almost everywhere I go. When I feel hopeless, I get to rub her ears up and down my cheek. When I'm craving, I fidget with her arms and legs and when I'm lonely, I put her up where I can see her and she can keep an eye on me, and help remind me of our second chance, of which I often feel undeserving. We have fun as well, she rode a horse, been on my bike and danced to my favorite song. I know how that must come across, but it cheered me up. Most of the time it's a comfort just knowing she's in my bag, or pocket. I feel more awkward when I didn't remember to bring her, than when I forgot my cigarettes!

People have seen her, but no-one dares (or cares to) ask about her. They probably just think I've lost my marbles for good. So I thought I would just share with you.

I know that AA works with tokens, but do you carry anything else on you that has importance to your sobriety and helps you in your recovery? Could be a song, a poem, a tattoo, anything? Pray tell!
Old 01-18-2015, 06:50 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

When I reached one year of sobriety, I wanted something to commemorate it; something I would see every day. I found a jewelry maker who makes very thin string necklaces that spell out things in morse code with their tiny beads. Mine has my sobriety date and "thank you" (to myself, to God/Universe/Life, etc. for saving me, for valuing my life). I wear it every day. It works with other necklaces. It works by itself. But mostly it works as a reminder of the the greatest gift that I ever gave to myself, my sobriety.
Old 01-18-2015, 07:11 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I carry my 5-month chip. I'm over 8, but things made sense at 5.

Bunnez
Old 01-18-2015, 07:35 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

I have a bracelet which wraps around my wrist 5 times, made of pieces of healing gemstones. One of the stones is Carnelian which stimulates the energy of love & joy & clears negative energy, allowing light to enter & transformation to occur. I wear it often and love wearing it.
Old 01-18-2015, 08:07 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Sober Soldier

The Bruce Lee quote in my signature.

Any time I don't feel like taking necessary action, don't feel like getting out of bet, don't feel like going to work, don't feel like working out, don't feel like resisting the urge to drink, I repeat that mantra, dig my heels in, and keep pushing onward.

It is also a poster on my wall so it's the first thing I see when I wake up in the morning.
Old 01-18-2015, 08:45 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

i have an AA 24 hour chip on my keyring. goes everywhere with me. more of a ******** than a keepsake!
Old 01-18-2015, 09:00 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Psalm 118:24

Lol I take a crazy little Yorkie with me in the car every chance I get.
He barks at everything he sees. If, I can remain at peace with with his barking while he's in the car, I know my serenity is intact.
He's a terrible drive though
Old 01-18-2015, 09:02 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I have my X-husbands wedding band and a cross pendant around my neck. This reminds me to stay sober and hope God directs my X to do the same.
Old 01-18-2015, 09:08 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

When I first attempted sobriety seriously in Jan. 2013, I bought a silver bracelet and put a green and black Troll bead on it. Then I relapsed, so in May I got a blue and white sobriety bead. I relapsed yet again, so I got a red and silver bead (and that one's been the charm). I have since filled up the bracelet with other reminders of significant occasions, like the birth of my two grandkids and the arrival of my other daughter's puppy; also my graduation from college after a 30-year hiatus and my 30-year anniversary.

But no matter how many events are on it, I always refer to it as my Sobriety Bracelet.
Old 01-18-2015, 09:12 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I kept a cork from the last bottle of wine I had. I barely remember that night, and it was one of the worst days of my life.

Not sure if that's a keepsake or more of a reminder of the damage i inflicted over the years.

Either way, when I get the urge to drink I see it sitting on the counter and it reminds me of that little slice of hell.
Old 01-18-2015, 09:25 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Evienne View Post
Day 16 for me! My stuffed bunny has been with me through this, so far. She's a cute little thing with moveable arms and legs and soft ears that are as long as she is. I found her in a thrift store. She looked at me just peeking out of a huge pile of discarded toys, cross-eyed and dirty and seemed so helpless. Once loved, and used for comfort, but dumped because someone got bored with, or outgrew her. I felt the same so many, many times. So then and there, I decided she should have a second chance, and realised, when I can have such compassion for a stuffed animal, ffs, why not for myself? So I did. I didn't stop drinking right away though. At first, the idea of a life anew had to grow on me, but I thought about it every time I saw Longear (the name was written on her tag in kids handwriting, aaaw). Now, I carry her with me almost everywhere I go. When I feel hopeless, I get to rub her ears up and down my cheek. When I'm craving, I fidget with her arms and legs and when I'm lonely, I put her up where I can see her and she can keep an eye on me, and help remind me of our second chance, of which I often feel undeserving. We have fun as well, she rode a horse, been on my bike and danced to my favorite song. I know how that must come across, but it cheered me up. Most of the time it's a comfort just knowing she's in my bag, or pocket. I feel more awkward when I didn't remember to bring her, than when I forgot my cigarettes! People have seen her, but no-one dares (or cares to) ask about her. They probably just think I've lost my marbles for good. So I thought I would just share with you. I know that AA works with tokens, but do you carry anything else on you that has importance to your sobriety and helps you in your recovery? Could be a song, a poem, a tattoo, anything? Pray tell!
I bought myself a nomination bracelet yesterday and a charm for my first week, a butterfly. To celebrate a month I'm going to have a charm with the date of the first day without a drink.
I've been looking at and playing with it constantly. I'm going to buy a charm every month And in 18 months it will be full.
When it's full I'm going to have another tattoo (not sure what yet.) I really want one on my left thigh (my profile pic is one on my right thigh)...that's if I don't give in and have another sooner in which case will find somewhere else for it haha.
It's nice having something to focus on and something to remind of progress .
Well done on day 16!!
Xx
Old 01-18-2015, 09:43 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I keep one cigarette in a packet in my night stand. I was going to quit when I finished the pack but decided to quit with one to go so I could save it for an emergency.....been quit 6 years now and still have it.
Old 01-18-2015, 10:16 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MarathonMan View Post
I keep one cigarette in a packet in my night stand. I was going to quit when I finished the pack but decided to quit with one to go so I could save it for an emergency.....been quit 6 years now and still have it.
Now that I like
Old 01-18-2015, 10:30 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

That's a great share Evienne!!

I don't have anything in particular, but I do have some old drinking accessories that are in a drawer - bottle opener, shot glasses, corkscrew, whisky stones.

Now sometimes I look at them and realise that once upon a time those were the most important things in my life, they are now merely ornaments, it's surprising how much power I give alcohol in my life, take away alcohol and these things merely collect dust and have no power over me anymore!!
Old 01-18-2015, 10:50 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
~sb

Memories of not being sober and More Memories of Being Sober.
Old 01-18-2015, 10:52 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

maybe not the quite the same, but my best friend who is 42 this year has this 'thing' from when she was a little girl.

The best way I can describe it is as a 'stump'.

Its basically all that remains from a soft cuddly toy she was given when she was born.
All the other bits have worn away.
It just looks like the arm or leg bit of a teddy bear.

If ever I go to her house, it always makes me laugh when I see it.
We call it 'the stump'!

She hates to be parted from it.

As for me, I always like having a pound coin in my pocket.
Its not a recovery thing, its just I love pound coins and I think everything will go okay in the day if I have a pound coin in my pocket.
Old 01-18-2015, 11:58 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Life is an unlikely miracle.

I don't have anything that I carry around, but on the day I got sober, I went out and bought a new bedframe and mattress, new duvet, pillows, covers, the lot- I own a van so I brought it all home that day. I threw out my old mattress (I'd been sleeping on the floor), cleaned the room and changed all the furniture round, then installed the new stuff.

That night I climbed into a lovely soft clean new bed, with a book instead of a bottle.

New bed, new life !
Old 01-18-2015, 11:59 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Say cheese!

I try to keep a crystal on me, been practicing sharkra.
Old 01-18-2015, 12:06 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Great post, Evienne. I wonder if the person who gave it away ever could have imagined that someday that old worn, but once loved, stuffed bunny would 'save' someone.
Old 01-18-2015, 12:30 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I enjoy many different kinds of items that
remind me of my sobriety and recovery.
Let's see, I have many AA reading tools,
books, cassette speaker tapes from early
recovery, Sponsor gifts, chimes, AA's sayings
framed in plaques that hang behind my tv,
many tattoos, several are lovely AA tattoos,
all my AA chips for each anniversary, and
quite a few pieces of lovely jewely, rings,
AA symbol pendants that I wear all the time,
and bumper stickers on our car and Harley.

Im never alone without my recovery
knowledge taught to me and practiced
in my everyday life.

All the "stuff" above are merely material
recovery items, but the real gifts of recovery
is the knowledge and wisdom I pass on
each day to others in recovery that allows
me to keep my own recovery strong in my
heart, mind and soul.

Passing It On is the gift that keeps on giving.