Notices

AM I an alcholic? (THE most asked / debated question!)

Old 01-18-2015, 05:03 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

congrats on 21 days
Old 01-18-2015, 05:21 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Answered them all "Yes" except the one about legal issues, though I just got lucky on that one. A few days into this new life, I had a dream about getting pulled over drunk. Because it very well could have happened. Not regularly, but once is MORE than enough.

Thankfully, I've never had any problems at work, but I suppose that's because of the nature of my work. I do work with the people, but in a different capacity than most people which makes it easier to conceal. And I was always careful at work. I was never more than very slightly buzzed as an eye opener. I'd seldom refuel at work. But when I got home, all bets were off, and sometimes I'd get home very early.
Old 01-18-2015, 05:47 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by notgonnastoptry View Post
Answered them all "Yes" except the one about legal issues, though I just got lucky on that one. A few days into this new life, I had a dream about getting pulled over drunk. Because it very well could have happened. Not regularly, but once is MORE than enough.

Thankfully, I've never had any problems at work, but I suppose that's because of the nature of my work. I do work with the people, but in a different capacity than most people which makes it easier to conceal. And I was always careful at work. I was never more than very slightly buzzed as an eye opener. I'd seldom refuel at work. But when I got home, all bets were off, and sometimes I'd get home very early.
'Never more than slightly buzzed' at work?

I remember thinking along similar lines about how my drinking never impacted my work. With the benefit of over a year sober I see now that I may have considered myself 'functional' - but it was a rationalization. I am far more effective e and functional in every aspect of life when I love sober. Those years of drinking before, during, after work were years of less than my best. Work was impacted just like the rest of my life. It took me several months of sobriety to begin to see it.
Old 01-18-2015, 06:08 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Stratman1 View Post
For some reason I'm ashamed and reluctant to admit that every single one of these applied to me for a run of several years. Day in, day out.

I didn't realize it at the time and I don't really understand now why either.

I'm definitely grateful not to be caught up in that cycle anymore :/

When I got sober I was hatin me for my past actions and thoughts. But then I put in the footwork to find out what makes me tick and change me.

Today my past is the greatest possession I have and I'm not ashamed of it. I don't approve of who I was and what I did, but I'm not him today.
Old 01-18-2015, 06:36 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

I think the question should be..Is alcohol causing me more grief than pleasure?. If yes quit drinking (preferably before you become physically addicted and need medical intervention). Using the alcoholism disease label just provides an excuse for bad compulsive behavior that ultimately only you control. That and creating a life long unnecessary negative stigma on how you and others perceive you. I acted badly. I chose to seek pleasure over practicing self control. I self medicated my personal issues rather than facing them head on. I suffered the consequences of my actions. I had to correct this behavior or ultimately die from my own poor behavior.
Old 01-18-2015, 06:46 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by esinger View Post
I think the question should be..Is alcohol causing me more grief than pleasure?. If yes quit drinking (preferably before you become physically addicted and need medical intervention). Using the alcoholism disease label just provides an excuse for bad compulsive behavior that ultimately only you control. That and creating a life long unnecessary negative stigma on how you and others perceive you. I acted badly. I chose to seek pleasure over practicing self control. I self medicated my personal issues rather than facing them head on. I suffered the consequences of my actions. I had to correct this behavior or ultimately die from my own poor behavior.
I agree.... Yet for me it was a paradox; until I was sober for some time and could look upon my own life with clarity and honesty... I was unable to see how much more grief it was causing me.
Old 01-18-2015, 06:53 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

IMO if you have to ask and wonder if you are an alcoholic you are an alcoholic.
Old 01-18-2015, 08:13 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by FreeOwl View Post
I agree.... Yet for me it was a paradox; until I was sober for some time and could look upon my own life with clarity and honesty... I was unable to see how much more grief it was causing me.
True, It's hard to see your own flaws looking at the mirror through beer goggles.
Old 01-18-2015, 01:12 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

If saying "I'm an alcoholic" is the mode by which someone overcomes that familiar denial and finally admits to self that she has a problem and decides to make a change, I think that's great and useful.

Other than that, to me it's just a label that's prone to different interpretations, thus probably not meriting lengthy analysis.

But to each his own I suppose.
Old 01-18-2015, 03:26 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

All except the legal troubles and the driving for me. Definitely an alcoholic though