Notices

brand new.

Old 01-17-2015, 05:34 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

brand new.

heyyy.
i am brand new to this & need all the help i can get. i currently work at a comedy club in nyc and have only been able to stay sober for about two months in the past. it is getting out of control and i have really been trying to stop for years. i have moved across the country from sf to nyc. looking for friends on this journey. i actually had a great aa group i liked in sf but have yet to go to one in nyc. i am also trying to quit smoking weed, as it is just another crutch for me to not face my problems or think.
i will probably use this forum to relive some horrible things in order to remind me why i am sober. it is important for me to do this.
i have actually only ever gotten past bill's story in the big book.

thanks.
Old 01-17-2015, 05:36 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome!!! Since you have read Bills story (which I think is great) why not try a meeting? Glad youre here!!! Lots of support on this forum
Old 01-17-2015, 05:37 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum!!

You'll find loads of support here on SR!! Great to have you onboard!!
Old 01-17-2015, 06:19 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Glad to meet you messy. We all understand what you're going through - welcome to a friendly place to talk things over.
Old 01-17-2015, 06:26 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Do your best

Welcome Messyarts Nice to meet you
Old 01-17-2015, 06:33 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome aboard messyarts

D
Old 01-18-2015, 05:18 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by messyarts View Post
heyyy.
i am brand new to this & need all the help i can get. i currently work at a comedy club in nyc and have only been able to stay sober for about two months in the past. it is getting out of control and i have really been trying to stop for years. i have moved across the country from sf to nyc. looking for friends on this journey. i actually had a great aa group i liked in sf but have yet to go to one in nyc. i am also trying to quit smoking weed, as it is just another crutch for me to not face my problems or think.
i will probably use this forum to relive some horrible things in order to remind me why i am sober. it is important for me to do this.
i have actually only ever gotten past bill's story in the big book.

thanks.

Hi and welcome.

It took awhile for me to understand the importance of life saving meetings. Suddenly several who stopped going to meetings met a sh!t storm from relapsing, 2 died, 1 in a long coma and another lost his right leg.
I still go to meetings to see what happened to people who stop going.

BE WELL
Old 01-18-2015, 05:24 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR!
Old 01-18-2015, 05:37 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Welcome messyarts,
Sounds like you have a good perspective on what we are all dealing with here. I am a regular meeting attender, and work as a volunteer in the county jail running the once a week meeting they get there. Meetings keep us grounded, and the commaraderie face to face will foster strong friendships. That helps a lot when that phone weighs 100 pounds, but making a call can save our life. I would suggest reading the 1st 164 pages of the Big Book. No matter how long you are sober, you will always get something new from the chapters. I also attend a weekly "Big book" meeting, where we read 2 pages and all of us discuss how we relate to that. It is always a good meeting. Look in your area and try a few different groups, you will find one or several that you personally can relate to. None of us can do this alone. Meetings are important, but really working the program saved my life. The 12 steps will allow you to truly be reborn into a sober way of life. Those that have done it, know that means a lot more than to just stop drinking. The weed you spoke of and your comment about it being another crutch so you don't have to think..... Bingo, you are already starting recovery. The steps and working the program show you a new way to live your life, letting go of the past, not worrying about the future, and truly living for the moment....one day at a time. It gets easier, and so much better, it is truly freedom.
Welcome, that's my two cents worth. BSA
Old 01-18-2015, 08:21 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Sober Soldier

Hi messyarts you've come to a good place
Old 01-18-2015, 08:40 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome,

You will find lots of support here and a variety of methods for stopping drinking and recovering. I'm glad you've made the decision to live a sober life.
Old 01-18-2015, 08:49 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Welcome, messyarts, to SR. Congratulations on your decision to live with sobriety.
Old 01-18-2015, 11:21 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Glad you're here Messy.

DD
Old 01-18-2015, 11:39 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Hi messyarts, I think you will find a lot of interesting and very useful things here to help you with your sober endeavors. Glad you are here!
Old 01-18-2015, 11:43 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Life is an unlikely miracle.

Welcome to the family, messyarts
Old 01-18-2015, 12:34 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Welcome and congratulations on your decision to be sober. I had to stop drinking when my alcohol consumption grew in quantity and frequency. Working through the issues underlying my drinking, here on SR, has led me on a path of healing.