Notices

Interesting behavior

Old 01-18-2015, 09:09 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Interesting behavior

So I went to my parents house yesterday to hang out and of course they were drinking a LOT.

There was this guy there who was my neighbor when I was growing up. He kept insisting the entire time I was there that I should "get trashed" with him. I told him I didn't drink anymore, but he kept trying to get me to drink (I didn't).

I'm going out on a limb here, but I wonder if he is an alcoholic or just lonely. Either way, it was very frustrating being only 14 days as of yesterday.

Any thoughts?
Old 01-18-2015, 09:19 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

It's always best to avoid situations where you will be around people trying to get you to drink in the early days of your sibriety.
Old 01-18-2015, 09:31 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Do your best

Awesome job on 15 days sober Justin

If his MO is to get trashed my advice is stay clear of this person he ignored the fact you said you dont drink and persisted which i always find strange and revealing

He sounds like he has a unaddressed drinking problem
Old 01-18-2015, 09:46 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Keep pushing through Justin, there's always going to be a few that just don't accept no for an answer!!
Old 01-18-2015, 09:51 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Sober Soldier

I agree people who persistently try to pressure you into something like that are likely trying to make themselves feel better about a choice they know is bad for them.

But good for you justin and keep up the good work!
Old 01-18-2015, 10:33 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks guys!
Old 01-18-2015, 01:49 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Ive no idea if he's an alcoholic or not but I do think you don't need to be voluntarily round those type of people at this stage?

D
Old 01-18-2015, 02:07 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Misery loves company.
Old 01-18-2015, 02:31 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

It drove me crazy when other people wouldn't drink with me too, he probably does have a drinking problem, if he was a normal drinker he wouldn't care if you drank or not.
Old 01-18-2015, 04:25 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Well done! That's the sort of situation I'm dreading. Don't understand why people feel they have to,pressure others to drink when they don't want to. Would have been very easy to give in tho so well done for sticking to it!! X
Old 01-19-2015, 03:17 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Congrats on 8! You threatened his AV is all. Can't have recovered around --blows the whole M.O.
Old 01-19-2015, 03:26 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Stand and Be True

I think people are too quick to assume others are alcoholics. A lot of people simply like "getting trashed" sometimes and it's not unusual to want a bit of company to do this. It'd be more worrying if he only wanted to do it by himself.

The reality is lots of people get drunk, fairly regularly. Best to avoid these situations in early sobriety if at all possible.
Old 01-19-2015, 03:48 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I remember distinct times in my drinking life when i encountered people who didn't drink. It made me uncomfortable.

What I didn't realize then was the connection between that feeling and my addiction.

My inner wisdom was stirring in the presence of the Truth. My addicted self was uncomfortable because it didn't want to hear or see that there might be another way. 'Keep your head down and keep drinking!!!!'.

While I never pressured others to drink when they didn't want to, I likewise never asked questions... 'Why don't you drink? HOW do you not drink??'.

Instead I uncomfortably moved along in the conversation, often ordering another drink.

I think people who pressure others to drink when they say 'I don't drink' might be experiencing a similar dissonance. It might be a very uncomfortable experience for them, and their attempts to get the non-drinker to drink might be entirely about their own inner turmoil.

I'm glad you didn't succumb to that influence.