SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Hello Everyone 😊 (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/356796-hello-everyone.html)

Aniol 01-16-2015 08:12 PM

Hello Everyone 😊

Hello everyone on this forum my name is Angel an I'm 21 years old. I'm in community college right now and I am also a classical pianist so I'm pretty stoked about that accomplishment. so a little but about my recovery process. My drinking all started I'm high school around 17 years old I didn't drink a lot at all but I know now I am a binge drinker.

I got a DUI when I was 19 and I started to binge drink from there I would say only twice or three times a week and it has gotten worse now that I have turned 21 I had a four day binge recently and am on two days sober now which I am having I believe minor withdrawls? Just insomnia and cold sweats and anxiety.

So I am looking for some positive attitudes on here 😊 also want to mention I just want to slow down my drinking for awhile. I don't know if I am an alcoholic I just wanna slow down a lot so I don't do major damage to myself I am fairly healthy so that's good haha thanks guys 😄

Dee74 01-16-2015 08:15 PM

Hi and welcome Angel :)

I'm afraid I have no experience in successfully slowing down my drinking...once I start all my good intentions go out the window...

does that sound like you too?

D

OnMyWay7 01-16-2015 08:16 PM

Welcome Aniol. Glad you're here. Why not just stop for a month or two. See how you feel - I bet you'll get more playing time in ;)

SoberLeigh 01-16-2015 08:22 PM

Welcome to SR, Aniol.

None of my repeated attempts to slow or moderate my drinking were successful - they were complete failures.

Glad you found SR.

mns1 01-16-2015 08:33 PM

Nice to meet you Aniol.

I also play the piano. My roots are in rock but I've dabbled with some classical pieces over the years.

As for the drinking, I, like others, was never able to successfully moderate my drinking. If I did manage to stop at just a few, it was when I was with other people and was trying to hide the fact that I had a problem. And it would take a toll on my nerves.

I'm glad you are here!

Aniol 01-16-2015 08:41 PM

Hello everyone sorry! I can't quote everyone haha and hmm it depends how I am feeling. Because usually I loveee to get drunk but there are days where if I get a buzz going I am fine with that and just enjoy the rest of my day. And teebee yes it is kind of a habit that gets in the way of my playing I am not going to lie.

gonzo9730 01-16-2015 08:43 PM

Welcome Aniol,

In my humble opinion getting consistently drunk or sporadically binging are both dangerous paths to follow. I have experience in both camps. Perhaps you are not at the point of no return yet, if so all the power to ya. Take an extended break and see where it goes. I am somewhat like MNS1, sometimes can manage to only have a couple, but it certainly is daunting. Other times I just go off to the point of black out because it takes so god damn much to get me drunk these dayz. Either way my drinking is just too darn unpredictable for me to be comfortable with. Good to hear you are musical, I have been playing guitar on and off since age 8. Good luck with whatever you decide to try; you will find good support here.

Aniol 01-16-2015 08:48 PM

Originally Posted by gonzo9730 (Post 5142693)
Welcome Aniol,

In my humble opinion getting consistently drunk or sporadically binging are both dangerous paths to follow. I have experience in both camps. Perhaps you are not at the point of no return yet, if so all the power to ya. Take an extended break and see where it goes. I am somewhat like MNS1, sometimes can manage to only have a couple, but it certainly is daunting. Other times I just go off to the point of black out because it takes so god damn much to get me drunk these dayz. Either way my drinking is just too darn unpredictable for me to be comfortable with. Good to hear you are musical, I have been playing guitar on and off since age 8. Good luck with whatever you decide to try; you will find good support here.

Thank you! I have been to many AA meetings before in my past because of my DUI. Hopefully I am not at the point of no return that would make me sort of sad Becuaseeee I love to have a beer with friends and family haha and yes music is the best I love it so much.

PurpleKnight 01-17-2015 12:44 PM

Welcome to the Forum Angel!! :wave:

Soberwolf 01-17-2015 12:48 PM

Welcome to the forum Aniol

Anna 01-17-2015 12:51 PM

I have no advice on slowing down drinking. That didn't work for me.