Notices

Update Help

Old 01-16-2015, 03:08 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Angry Update Help

Day ten school went great this week besides being around party college kids and ofcorse its friday and i got out of school this afternoon and have been having the WORST CRAVINGS EVER. I havent had cravings this bad until day ten it makes no sense! I managed to go into a 7/11 and get a gatorade without buying alcohol and ofcorse the guy at the counter who knows me well as i used to buy cigs and wine twice a day from same place(quit smoking 2 months ago) says no wine today? and i said no i quit and hes like "oh no now we are going out of business"....how mortifying it was that a cashier at a 7/11 knows me as the raging wino...i laughed it off then felt awful the whole way home. But i am trying everything to not drink i tried playing a game, watching tv, looking at school books, talking to my mom, and im still white knuckling it craving like a wild frickin animal...i want to pull my hair out or head off cus it wont be quiet ive thought about alcohol for the last 5 hours every second even when trying to do stuff and now im running out of things to do. I made it to ten days and was fine it sucksss....ive only ever been sober for 2 months in the last 4 years and thats pathetic and i want to make it way past two months this time and im already struggling at day ten. ahhhhhhhhhh!!! sorry needed to vent dont know what else to do.
Old 01-16-2015, 03:12 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I'll send you a couple of links on urges and cravings, rocky.
Old 01-16-2015, 03:12 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-cravings.html
Old 01-16-2015, 03:13 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...e-surfing.html
Old 01-16-2015, 03:20 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Oh God I'm sorry you're feeling that way, Rocky. I hated that You just gotta roll through it, acknowledge the feeling for what it is- just a feeling, and temporary. The links SoberLeigh posted are so helpful. You know what the right thing to do it, and ride it out. Know how relieved and happy you'll be to wake up sober tomorrow
Old 01-16-2015, 03:22 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks SoberLeigh! Im so happy i made it to ten days and i so want to make it past two months since it disgusts me that in four years ive only ever been sober for two months...i am putting my all in to this today just hit me out of nowhere i was totally fine this whole week then BAM WINE WINE WINE WINE. but im staying home now going to give my credit cards n money to my dad to hold onto as i do not trust myself i think its a good plan.
Old 01-16-2015, 03:26 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Yeah yesturday i had a slight craving and woke up so happy i didnt drink and its awesome its just later on in the day that it rolls around and it being friday and schools over for the week but i hadnt had any cravings this bad before in ten days grrr.. I am going to def give my credit cards to my dad that will save me and stay in. my mom printed out a picture and it says "you can do it and you are doing it, we know you can" and i keep looking at it. i wish quitting alc was as easy as quittting cigs was for me i quit 3 months ago after 3 years of smoking and didnt even have a craving dont want one totally done dont even think about it and am proud of that but this one is my arch enemy. Im going to be strong and hand over the cards instead of having them there knowing i can go and get something.
Old 01-16-2015, 03:28 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think cravings on a friday make perfect sense Rocky.
For many years that was our night to unwind...

you can still unwind...just think about healthy alternatives - a fovorite meal, some meditation, a funny movie...the list is endless really.

Cravings happen - to everyone - and they probably will for a while.
It doesn't mean you've failed..drinking on a friday is something we all did...for years...your body is just reacting to that 'sense memory'

For me, the strength of our recovery isn't in being craving free, it's in in our response to those cravings...sounds like you're hanging tough and not giving in - great stuff

D
Old 01-16-2015, 03:47 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hang in there Rocky!! You can do this!!

Stay close to the Weekender thread for extra support:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...n-16-18-a.html
Old 01-16-2015, 03:49 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

gave my wallet to my dad and told me to keep it for tonight. problem solved. no money. no alc. the craving problem is still DEF NOT SOLVED. but atleast i cant sneak or even try. **** im an adult and its pathetic having to give my dad my wallet so i dont go buy booze. but i guess its better this way that i know for 100 percent sure ill make it to tommorow day 11. need my mind to stop craving urggg
Old 01-16-2015, 03:50 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-cravings.html
Old 01-16-2015, 03:53 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hang in there, rocky; it will get easier.

You ARE doing this!!!!!
Old 01-16-2015, 03:53 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

Rocky, I'm glad you're determined to make this work. One thing that worked for me in the early days was not stopping at or near places where I had bought alcohol. I didn't want the memories floating around.
Old 01-16-2015, 04:22 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Rocky, Good that you wanted to talk this over. I was very disappointed in myself in the early days - the cravings happened to me all the time. It's completely normal, and the strong desire does fade as we get used to living in a different way. We promise you won't always feel this anxiety. You're doing great.
Old 01-16-2015, 04:32 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Do your best

Hi Rocky well done on day 10 i think your doing really well for what its worth
Old 01-16-2015, 04:50 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by rocky123 View Post
Day ten school went great this week besides being around party college kids and ofcorse its friday and i got out of school this afternoon and have been having the WORST CRAVINGS EVER. I havent had cravings this bad until day ten it makes no sense! I managed to go into a 7/11 and get a gatorade without buying alcohol and ofcorse the guy at the counter who knows me well as i used to buy cigs and wine twice a day from same place(quit smoking 2 months ago) says no wine today? and i said no i quit and hes like "oh no now we are going out of business"....how mortifying it was that a cashier at a 7/11 knows me as the raging wino...i laughed it off then felt awful the whole way home. But i am trying everything to not drink i tried playing a game, watching tv, looking at school books, talking to my mom, and im still white knuckling it craving like a wild frickin animal...i want to pull my hair out or head off cus it wont be quiet ive thought about alcohol for the last 5 hours every second even when trying to do stuff and now im running out of things to do. I made it to ten days and was fine it sucksss....ive only ever been sober for 2 months in the last 4 years and thats pathetic and i want to make it way past two months this time and im already struggling at day ten. ahhhhhhhhhh!!! sorry needed to vent dont know what else to do.
Your doing great Rocky! Don't let the 7/11 guy upset you! He wants your money...plain and simple. My h and I Jolie's that the liquor store we went to 4 times a week is going to think we moved or something happened because we won't be buying. Think of all the money you are saving too and you can splurge on something special when you hit, say 30 days? Congrats again!!!
Old 01-16-2015, 05:03 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
EndGame

Putting ourselves down while we're struggling with sobriety makes us easy prey for our cravings. Very often the best defense is to do something nice for herself.

I just got off the phone with a friend who decided that, because she made it through a hectic week of work -- including train cancellations and delays on the Long Island Railroad twice this past week -- she'd treat herself to an expensive (here) French cheese that she loves and that is hard to find, even in NYC. She left the cheese at work, so she's going to binge on a French TV series I recommended instead.

Try not to be so "disgusted" with yourself. Learning to be good to ourselves is an important part of the work in achieving sobriety.
Old 01-16-2015, 06:00 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Thank you for all the support. Glad I gave my wallet to my dad stopped me from messing up. Im drinking some tea going to watch two movies and make tacos...tommorow will be day 11 I know I have to take it one second at a time but this is the first time ive had this much self control so I hope to make it past two months let alone tommorow and the next day. But patting myself on back for handing wallet over and not giving in and having another sober night. Thank u guys much! Always good to know I can rant on here when freaking out and ppl reply.