Notices

Anyone have experience with disulfiram?

Old 01-16-2015, 10:45 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Anyone have experience with disulfiram?

My work colleague / friend worked in drug and alcohol services for a long time and has previously mentioned to me about disulfiram however I decided I didn't want to consider that option.
Talking today and he's adamant that it would benefit me by acting as a safety net and I think he' may have a point, at least for a while. At least that way I could have my money and cards back.

I've made an appointment with my gp (in 4 weeks, typical NHS). Don't know whether they will even prescribe it but I'm going to ask.

Just wondering if anyone has any experience with this? I'm a bit nervous incase I accidently have something with alcohol in (like mouthwash or hand gel) without thinking and get ill. From what I've heard the effects of alcohol are pretty severe?
Old 01-16-2015, 01:00 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I used it last time I gave it up. Mouthwash didn't have an impact on me - but having a drink sure did. You feel horrible and it's scary. It was part of my "moderation plan" after I decided to let myself have "one or two" every once and awhile lol. I would take them M-W and then I could drink on the weekend... of course over time I just stopped taking them because as an alcoholic I can't moderate.

This time I don't want to use them - but they work as far as you don't get high and you feel really bad.
Old 01-16-2015, 01:13 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I've decided I'm never drinking again and I'm determined. I can't moderate or control drink so this is the only option left. The reason I was thinking of requesting them is just as a kinda safety net to take any choice away if I was tempted. Apparently you feel awful on them don't u if u drink. I thought you had to be careful with things like deodorants and anything with alcohol in x