Notices

Counting Days

Old 01-16-2015, 10:13 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Counting Days

As most of you know, I am new to recovery, and on day 5. I notice pretty much everyone counts the days/weeks/months, ect. I am wondering: is it possible to get to the point where you're like " I just don't drink, it doesn't matter how long since I used to drink" Or is it really important to count the days ?
Old 01-16-2015, 10:23 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Yes.

I think most people do it at the start to encourage themselves. I did for the first thirty days and then month to month until I got a year.

Now I don't really count days, weeks or months. It may dawn in me on the 24th that another month has passed but not always.

If someone asks I don't say I stopped drinking, I simply state I don't drink.
Old 01-16-2015, 10:23 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I think everyone is different - this is a popular topic around here. I used to count days (I don't do AA or anything though)....I had 6.5mths May to end of Nov. then relapsed in Cuba.
I decided to not count again. I just wake up everyday and not drink THAT day.
That's just me though. Counting days works for many people, holds them accountable.
Old 01-16-2015, 10:32 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome Belle,I'm just gonna count the first 30 days.
Old 01-16-2015, 10:50 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Counting days kept me going in the beginning. I felt it was good to have goals.

I forget ever now and then but always love going back and counting....I'm sad like that.

Well done on 5 days that's great.
Old 01-16-2015, 10:51 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

In the beginning at least. For motivation.
Old 01-16-2015, 10:57 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Just do whatever works for you.
Old 01-16-2015, 11:09 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Cause no harm

I have posted on this subject before and feel it is a personal choice. I personally feel one should not dwell upon the number of days. If, forbid, you have a setback, many feel they have lost all those days of sobriety and have to "start all over." This could add a feeling of failure and cause a disintegration of resolve. IMHO, don't obsess on days sober, but enjoy the present day of sobriety. If you truly immerse yourself in the present and the awareness that you are on the road to health and well-being, that realization will continue your endeavor far better than day-counting. The past is just a memory your mind fabricates as a reference point. The present is the only important "date". It is what truly fashions the "tomorrow."
Count if you wish, but enjoy what you have at this moment.
Peace.
Old 01-16-2015, 11:13 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Psalm 118:24

I find counting my blessings is even better
Old 01-16-2015, 11:14 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Creekryder View Post
I have posted on this subject before and feel it is a personal choice. I personally feel one should not dwell upon the number of days. If, forbid, you have a setback, many feel they have lost all those days of sobriety and have to "start all over." This could add a feeling of failure and cause a disintegration of resolve. IMHO, don't obsess on days sober, but enjoy the present day of sobriety. If you truly immerse yourself in the present and the awareness that you are on the road to health and well-being, that realization will continue your endeavor far better than day-counting. The past is just a memory your mind fabricates as a reference point. The present is the only important "date". It is what truly fashions the "tomorrow."
Count if you wish, but enjoy what you have at this moment.
Peace.
I agree with this. I like just focusing on TODAY. It's allowing me to be present, which is actually way more difficult than I ever imagined. It sounds so flippin easy and duh, simple...but no, it's not.
Old 01-16-2015, 11:18 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thanks All - I figured this topic comes up a lot, and it makes sense what you say...the main thing I want to focus on now is that I don't need to drink,
Old 01-16-2015, 02:00 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by BelleDeMer View Post
Thanks All - I figured this topic comes up a lot, and it makes sense what you say...the main thing I want to focus on now is that I don't need to drink,
Belle you are right..live in the moment, you are not drinking now..this moment, that is what counts, it can be quite scary to think ahead for obvious reasons, you need your strength for now, and keep being proud of yourself for achieving this, put yourself into a comfort bubble.
Old 01-16-2015, 02:25 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Sober Soldier

Everyone has there own approach Belle.

You just have to find what works best for you.

Nice work on your five days!
Old 01-16-2015, 03:33 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

It took me a good few months before I started to loose track of days.

As new habits were formed, as I carved out a new lifestyle away from alcohol, the focus and obsession became quieter and I got into the mind frame of simply being a "non drinker"

Keep pushing through!!
Old 01-16-2015, 03:41 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Administrator

Counting days was important to me in the beginning - it was a tangible reminder of my progress, when I wasn't sure sobriety was something I could 'do'.....

By around day 90 I knew I wanted to stay sober forever...so counting days stopped being important for me.

I have no idea what day I am on now, but I know I'm coming up fast on 8 years

D
Old 01-16-2015, 03:42 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

By accident I realized I had 2000 days so I don't keep close track. I do recognize yearly anniversaries. I'm a big believer in a day at a time so counting days is a dual edged sword. Yes milestones are important but not as important as staying sober today
Old 01-16-2015, 03:48 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
*Ex Missus

I think I ticked it off on my calender the first go around. The second which was considerably longer I counted for maybe the first month and then quickly forgot. Sober became normal. Problem was with me I got complacent. My plan this time is to count for as long as I remember but STAY posting here forever lol. No complacency for me this time around!